Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 4,223 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My wife and I are looking to move from SE portland to the West side. We have been renting here for a year (having moved from Texas) and we have been looking sporadically since January. We've hired a realtor and have been pre-approved $600,000 for a loan by a lender. This would be our first home and Ill be starting a new job in Hillsboro in November. My wife is pregnant with our first child and we would like to move by the end of the year.

We have sort of narrowed our search to the NW (Bethany, Cedar Mills, forest heights) and Beaverton (specifically Murray Hill, scholls ferry, sexton mountains). We would also consider bull mountain.

We love the NW area (given the strong public schools) and that would be our first preference. The homes though seem to be a little above our price point for anything other than a home that needs a lot of renovations. I may stretch our budget but am very hesitant to do so given economic uncertainties and coupled with a time horizon that may not lend itself to a correction in the housing market (we may have to move back to texas in 6 -7 years).

We did find a home we loved (large, greenspace, movein ready built in 2015) that met our requirements in Beaverton, however it is zoned to Aloha high school. If we were to move in 7 years how would this affect us in terms of resale? it has been on the market for 114 days and the feedback ive gotten is that the school district is a major sticking point for buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 05:21 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,591,101 times
The minus of Forest Heights is access in extremely cold weather (ice, snow). It doesn't happen often so unless you are in a critical profession you can take a "snow day". BTW, snow routes for school busses in that neighborhood are not uncommon.

The grade school is very good, in years past it was crowded because of neighborhood growth. It maps to West Sylvan Middle School and Lincoln High School. By the time your child is in high school the Lincoln building should be replaced. Forest Heights is a planned unit development so there are doubtless HOAs.

The other options I don't know so well - except for the fact that Westview Highschool has an excellent reputation. If you want that school stay well inside its enrollment area.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:49 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,648,036 times
We almost bought a house in Forest Heights, but ultimately too many issues with the home and we walked away. Older, incorrectly built home despite an architect living there who designed the house. Ironic. Snow was a concern of ours there too.

Wow I’m glad I don’t ever have to think about something as inane as school district when deciding on homes. That is such a lame reason for a great house to sit unsold.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:52 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,075,383 times
Something to keep in mind as I'm not sure if your wife works or not or where she does, but most of those places you listed, will take 20-30 mins to get to the east side of Hillsboro (or so my co-workers tell me and I work off of Cornelius Pass and Cornell-ish), longer to the west side. Have you looked into the south Hillsboro area? All new construction although I don't know about schools. You also chose all the "expensive" areas, so there is that.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,223 times
My wife would stay at home for at least the first few years. Google maps estimates 13 -15 minutes from work to the Beaverton location.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:10 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,075,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1590 View Post
My wife would stay at home for at least the first few years. Google maps estimates 13 -15 minutes from work to the Beaverton location.

Just make sure you're adjusting the time for when you'd be leaving. 13-15 is actually impressive. With the new construction, I know a few who live near Murray Hill and it's increased their commute time. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland