Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 05:07 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times

Advertisements

Rapidly aging native of the unincorporated area of North Clackamas County (I'm so old I remember when Johnson Creek Boulevard ended at 82nd!), after having traipsed across Texas, California and Arizona, now moving back home for a job on Pill Hill. I haven't set foot in Portland for twelve years, and yes, I know, it's totally different than when I left. I'm still not sure I'll be able to cope without Waddles, the Carnival and the Embers, but at least Sister Paula still lives!

Anyhow, it looks like I'm going to end up living inside the boundaries of Multnomah County, despite my best efforts to avoid it... and now I'm trying to remember what all I'm going to be paying extra because of it. I know about the silly arts tax (which I hope to dedicate to the Ministry of Silly Walks) but what else is there? Is there some extra gas tax I heard about a couple years ago? What else is there that's going to cost me extra? I just read in the O about a new tax on big businesses that's being passed to customers... what in the heck is that?

(But, the one good thing tho is that after I get up there, registered Libertarians in Multnomah County will increase from six to seven. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 10:26 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Find housing convenient to Pill Hill transit, parking up there is next to impossible. Verify your schedule to confirm that the goal is doable. Talk to your HR rep for details.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Find housing convenient to Pill Hill transit, parking up there is next to impossible. Verify your schedule to confirm that the goal is doable. Talk to your HR rep for details.
Thanks, but that wasn't the question.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:58 AM

483 posts, read 353,286 times
Why do you have to live and pay taxes in Multnomah County? Raleigh Hills and Lake Oswego are both only a few miles to Pill Hill.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
Why do you have to live and pay taxes in Multnomah County? Raleigh Hills and Lake Oswego are both only a few miles to Pill Hill.
Personal reasons.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:23 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Eh, maybe I missed it - what is the question?

Old 10-13-2019, 12:28 PM

"Anyhow, it looks like I'm going to end up living inside the boundaries of Multnomah County, despite my best efforts to avoid it... and now I'm trying to remember what all I'm going to be paying extra because of it. I know about the silly arts tax (which I hope to dedicate to the Ministry of Silly Walks) but what else is there? Is there some extra gas tax I heard about a couple years ago? What else is there that's going to cost me extra? I just read in the O about a new tax on big businesses that's being passed to customers... what in the heck is that?"

Old 10-13-2019, 04:46 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Eh, maybe I missed it - what is the question?
OP wants to know how much extra taxes they will have to pay by living inside Portland instead of the suburbs.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:08 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
I've lived in Multnomah county for 35 years and I honestly don't know how to answer your question. Extra compared to what? Other counties? To me it's an "it is what it is" situation. I don't really compare and contrast because I live here, own a house here and worked here for 26 years. I guess I know property taxes are higher in Multnomah Co. than other places and the Arts Tax ($35/year) is a very minor thing (for me, anyway). Gas tax? - don't know. Other extras? - again, don't know.

Just don't think it can be accurately computed as there are so many variables. I'm just glad to live here!

Old 10-16-2019, 05:34 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:
Just don't think it can be accurately computed as there are so many variables. I'm just glad to live here!
Probably the best answer given.
If you want more, (and you are scrounging down to the last penny) I think your best bet is a professional accountant who is familiar with the local area(s).

Otherwise, free internet advice is pretty much worth what you pay for it.
(though it might point you in the correct direction)

I CAN tell you this, living in Mutnomah county is way more expensive than living in Clackamas county, taxes wise.
MUCH MUCH MUCH more expensive.

Owning and renting throws in some different things though.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-16-2019 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland