Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 02:49 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazens View Post
I would not characterize Lake Oswego or West Linn as friendly. Fake friendly perhaps but they are very cliquey snobbish communities. Plus the schools are overrated. Yes test scores are good because parents are demanding of their children not because the quality of education is superior.
They are friendly if you are the "right" sort of person and appear to belong there. Go to say a youth soccer game in Lake Oswego and everyone is super friendly if they think you are one of them. But I take your point. Try dragging your kayak down to Lake Oswego and see how friendly they get.

That said, the schools are indeed on a different level than most of the less affluent communities. Go visit Lake Oswego, West Linn, or Wilsonville (same district) high schools and compare the science labs, athletic facilities, music studios, and everything else they have to what you might find at nearby less affluent communities. There is a striking difference. Resources are not everything. But they make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 01:06 AM

36 posts, read 53,490 times
Yeah, I read about West Linn’s racist and corrupt police chief. No thanks. Not my kind of town. In fact, I am terrified by all of the racist stuff I see on the news happening in Oregon. Like the Salem police who were buddy buddy with white power scumbags. Texas may be unbearably hot and more conservative than I would like, but it is diverse and I feel safe in Texas. I can raise my kids here in a low cost environment with fantastic schools and once they are in college I can move somewhere with a more pleasant climate.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:22 PM
2Z4

26 posts, read 55,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant12345 View Post
Yeah, I read about West Linn’s racist and corrupt police chief. No thanks. Not my kind of town. In fact, I am terrified by all of the racist stuff I see on the news happening in Oregon. Like the Salem police who were buddy buddy with white power scumbags. Texas may be unbearably hot and more conservative than I would like, but it is diverse and I feel safe in Texas. I can raise my kids here in a low cost environment with fantastic schools and once they are in college I can move somewhere with a more pleasant climate.
FWIW - that's not reflective of the city. He was simply enabled by city council members and city staff (as well as some others in the local law enforcement community) for decades, possibly due to some type of blackmail leverage he had on them. Several of his officers reported him over the years - they were all forced out and retaliated against. He was reported to the Oregon Department of Justice, who refused to investigate him. I don't believe West Linn residents by and large are racists.

West Linn is really two different cities - there's the "Willamette" area between Salamo Rd. and the river, and then everything else. Willamette has quite a few older homes mixed with new construction, I think it's less "clique" than the other areas.

Lake Oswego is a very safe city with good schools. If I were looking at Lake Oswego, I'd look at homes in the "Rivergrove" area - which is a more established neighborhood that's not super high-priced. I would stay south of Boones Ferry Rd., west of Stafford Rd. and south of the lake.

I've also spent some time in Camas. You'll get more for your money there - decent schools and a good community. I personally would avoid Happy Valley due to a gravely inadequate police department and proximity to Portland. I'd avoid Wilsonville due to horrific traffic, proximity to I-5 and once again an inadequately sized police department. You might want to check out Tualatin as well - good schools, good community, minimal crime and a younger crowd than West Linn/Lake Oswego.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:11 PM

42 posts, read 80,754 times
I have lived in both and currently own a home in Lake Oswego. Both are good places with very non-judge mental people by and large. I am sure that if you tried to join some civic group in Lake Oswego they might size you up a bit but that happens anywhere. In Portland it is not about $ but about liberal groupthink and people are very self-absorbed and self righteous by and large. There are exceptions of course but it is not the Portland of 40 years ago.

And what is the deal with all the need for ‘diverse’ neighborhoods? Do people really want to interact with minorities and make friends with them or just observe them and pat themselves on the back for being tolerant? I don’t get it. If you want diversity move to NY, Detroit, Philadelphia, DC, etc., not Lake Oswego or Portland for that matter.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:29 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
My understanding is that Portland has some very good private schools, and from an article I read some time back, they try to have diversity. It might be worth investigating.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:40 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
My understanding is that Portland has some very good private schools, and from an article I read some time back, they try to have diversity. It might be worth investigating.
It's a big city with lots of wealth so yes, there are private schools.

At the top of the heap there is Catlin Gable. It's about as diverse as the top 1% of the city of Portland is. So mostly white with a sprinkling of Asians mixed in and a few other children of color so the class photos aren't entirely white. Of course they are facing massive lawsuits for two or three decades of unchecked abuse so who knows where they will be in the future. You can google all about that to find out where your $35,000/year tuition dollars will be going.

There are some big Catholic schools and a couple of other fancy prep schools like Oregon Episcopal and the the French American immersion school. Lots more private elementary schools. If you can afford to spend the equivalent of college tuition dollars on private school then you'll have lots of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland