Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 07:25 AM

14 posts, read 36,154 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband has been offered a job in Sandy, Oregon. My oldest kid is starting middle school, so it’s a tough time to relocate. We’ve made a quick trip, but the pandemic makes it really hard to get a sense of different communities. What is the best area for us to live in, if our focus is first and foremost a friendly, welcoming community?? Happy Valley, West Linn? Second would be good schools, walkability, safety, and of course, an easy commute to Sandy if we decide that isn’t the best place for us. It would also be a plus if there was some character and not just strip malls. Thank you!! We need guidance from wise locals. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 10:14 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Happy Valley would be a 25-30 minute commute
West Linn would be a 35-40 minute commute and potentially more if I-205 is blocked up.

Both are suburban cul de sac type developments and not particularly walkable. West Linn at least has a little downtown area with high-end boutiques and such where you can walk around. From what I've seen, Happy Valley only has a few small strip type developments for retail so there's not really any sort of downtown. I think everyone probably just drives down to the Sunnyside area along I-205 for shopping.

Both are probably equally upscale. Happy Valley is going to be newer high-end subdivisions and not much else. West Linn has some older "old money" type neighborhoods and is more of a stand-alone town rather than a collection of subdivisions. Schools are probably a wash. West Linn is more of an athletic powerhouse and more "boostery". My perception (which may not be accurate) is that West Linn is going to be more "old money" Portland folks while Happy Valley is going to have more recent California type transplants attracted by all the new upscale construction.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:39 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I agree that West Linn would be better although I don't see it as a walkable neighborhood, it is the 'burbs. Google 'West Linn' on a map and look at it from the satellite view then use the 'walking man' for the areas that are interesting to you. Don't buy on the hill behind Marylhurst as it has had stability issues.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
age of kids? school grade level?

Corbett or Boring Oregon would be my choice if commuting to Sandy.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I agree that West Linn would be better although I don't see it as a walkable neighborhood, it is the 'burbs. Google 'West Linn' on a map and look at it from the satellite view then use the 'walking man' for the areas that are interesting to you. Don't buy on the hill behind Marylhurst as it has had stability issues.
No, it's not really walkable in that people walk to shops and restaurants from their homes. You pretty much have to move to Portland proper west of 82nd Ave to find that. There is just a little upscale downtown area a couple blocks long where you can park and walk around to the local shops and restaurants if you want. But you have to drive to get there. Happy Valley doesn't even have that. I expect the various new subdivisions around Happy Valley have walking trails and paths scattered about. Most new subdivisions do that these days. So you probably would have places to walk the dog but it isn't any sort of walkable urban environment.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
age of kids? school grade level?

Corbett or Boring Oregon would be my choice if commuting to Sandy.
Depends on the lifestyle the OP is looking for. Those are rural areas where you will be driving for every errand and kid play date. And probably living in a fairly rural isolated country location. The suburban areas like Happy Valley and West Linn will be packed full of families so more likely to find kids, families, playgrounds, etc nearby within walking distance.

Some people like the isolation of the country. Some people like lots of neighbors and kid amenities nearby. We are walking distance to five different playgrounds as well as multiple playing fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, etc. That is exactly what my wife wanted rather than some rural compound on a long lane. I like that my kids can walk out the front door and have multiple friends within a block or two and were able to walk to elementary school.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:19 PM

Yes, we want everything that Texasdriver describes. Lol. :-) I don’t do well with really rural isolation, although I do like the vibe of a small town. We want the neighbors and kid amenities, but the houses in Happy Valley were just so close together. Not very much for a backyard. From what we briefly saw, some of the HV and WL neighborhoods were very walkable if you chose carefully.

Stealth rabbit, someone else mentioned Corbett - do you know much about the housing there? Are there neighborhoods, or is it just rural ranchettes?? Thanks so much!!

Old 07-11-2020, 06:21 PM

Oh, and my kids are 11 and 8. Ideally, I want a school that is challenging but not hyper-competitive, friendly, etc.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:12 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
West Linn 36th safest city in America.

https://westlinnoregon.gov/police/36...t-city-america

Old 07-11-2020, 07:28 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
I haven't been to Boring in years, but it might be a good idea to check it out, too. At least read up on the schools and crime rates and property prices. It's closer to My Hood if you like to ski.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland