Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 09:17 AM

872 posts, read 999,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
I wondered the same thing about Portland. All we hear on news is rioting , rioting, rioting in Portland. That they needed to bring Federal Officers in because local Portland wasn't doing anything. I am sick of the rioters, very sick of them. And, I am sick of the news too. It's good to hear that there are nice parts of Portland and this is just a small isolated area.

I actually think the protestors deserve to be hit by cars, because they are blocking people, and they are aggresive toward people in vehicles and on foot.

Hope all you people are safe in Portland, and your Political leaders get a backbone soon to stop the small group of disorderly protestors there.
The people who are living away from all the stuff going on and who ARE not happy with it will probably never do anything until it gets closer to their doors. SAd but true. And probably true for most of America as well.
Even more sad is the people in charge were voted in and will probably get voted in again or replaced with more soft do-nothing jerk offs

Old 07-22-2020, 01:15 PM

1,066 posts, read 892,354 times
I just hope you nutso people advocating for vehicular homicide stay where you are.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:51 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
I came here out of curiosity, to hear from Portlanders as to what's going on.

I'm surprised that some here are saying the city is peaceful, except for two blocks around the Federal building. Really?

Google search for "Portland riots": 35,600,000 results.

Google video search: 830,000 results

Youtube has tons of footage of violence in Portland, mostly antifa groups assaulting elderly conservatives, clashing with Proud Boys or similar right wing groups, directing traffic in the middle of the city while police sit back and watch, burning down buildings and conducting pitched street battles with police, etc.

It didn't start a month ago. There was rioting in 2016 after Trump was elected.

Then there's the homelessness problem in Portland, comparable to Seattle and San Francisco. Needles, feces, filth, crime.

It's a shame; Portland at one time was the jewel of the Pacific Northwest (maybe competing with Seattle for that title).

Now it's got the reputation of Beirut. In fact, Beirut may be a cleaner, safer city.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:55 PM

206 posts, read 186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

I'm surprised that some here are saying the city is peaceful, except for two blocks around the Federal building. Really?

Youtube has tons of footage of violence in Portland, mostly antifa groups assaulting elderly conservatives, clashing with Proud Boys or similar right wing groups, directing traffic in the middle of the city while police sit back and watch, burning down buildings and conducting pitched street battles with police, etc.

Then there's the homelessness problem in Portland, comparable to Seattle and San Francisco. Needles, feces, filth, crime.

It's a shame; Portland at one time was the jewel of the Pacific Northwest (maybe competing with Seattle for that title).

Now it's got the reputation of Beirut. In fact, Beirut may be a cleaner, safer city.
And you're judging the city from your Google search results? Google is designed to return the things you search for. What you're doing is called confirmation bias.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
And you're judging the city from your Google search results? Google is designed to return the things you search for. What you're doing is called confirmation bias.
No, I'm not judging at all. I'm reporting facts. I've seen dozens of Youtube videos of violence in Portland, mostly caused by far-left activists. Are you denying this stuff is happening?

Portland is only in the news because of its nightly violence which has been going on for months now. It seems to me that any reasonable person is going to wonder what the hell's going on there.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:09 PM

206 posts, read 186,581 times
Quote:
No, I'm not judging at all. I'm reporting facts. I've seen dozens of Youtube videos of violence in Portland, mostly caused by far-left activists. Are you denying this stuff is happening?

Portland is only in the news because of its nightly violence which has been going on for months now. It seems to me that any reasonable person is going to wonder what the hell's going on there.
You're not judging but you literally said it now has the reputation of Beirut.

Regardless of your hypocrisy, if you think sending Federal agents into a state to "crack down" on protesters is the solution, I can guarantee you it's going to have the opposite effect.

Not matter what side of the aisle you're on, you should be outraged at the Federal government's overreach here. Otherwise you truly are a hypocrite.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
You're not judging but you literally said it now has the reputation of Beirut.

Regardless of your hypocrisy, if you think sending Federal agents into a state to "crack down" on protesters is the solution, I can guarantee you it's going to have the opposite effect.

Not matter what side of the aisle you're on, you should be outraged at the Federal government's overreach here. Otherwise you truly are a hypocrite.
Wow, angry much? I wasn't even thinking about "Federal agents".

But since you mentioned it... given the complete incompetence of you Democrats to manage your city, honestly, I think it's time for a Federal occupation, and arrest of the Mayor and the city council. The police put under Homeland Security control. Curfew 6pm to 6am. Shoot looters and rioters.

When law and order is restored, they can talk about holding new elections... in person. With valid photo I.D. None of this mail-in nonsense.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:27 PM

1,066 posts, read 892,354 times
Quote:
Wow, angry much? I wasn't even thinking about "Federal agents".

But since you mentioned it... given the complete incompetence of you Democrats to manage your city, honestly, I think it's time for a Federal occupation, and arrest of the Mayor and the city council. The police put under Homeland Security control. Curfew 6pm to 6am. Shoot looters and rioters.

When law and order is restored, they can talk about holding new elections... in person. With valid photo I.D. None of this mail-in nonsense.
lol the aww shucks I just wandered in here schtick sure faded to alt right quickly.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
lol the aww shucks I just wandered in here schtick sure faded to alt right quickly.
Yes... because the far Right really want a stronger Federal government...LOL!

Old 07-22-2020, 05:52 PM

353 posts, read 437,596 times
Quote:

You don't live in Portland and probably have never been to Portland, so how can you judge the safety of the city? Yes, there have been demonstrations and riots, but it really doesn't affect the average person. If you don't go to the demonstration or the surrounding areas where they occur, they will NOT affect you. It is really easy to avoid demonstrations and the like. Trust me. Portland is a pretty big city (land area wise it is as big as Philadelphia) so the chance that you will come in contact with rioters is small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland