Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,830 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband has a job offer in Hillsboro and we are seriously considering moving to the area. Would greatly appreciate some insight and suggestions!!!

1. We want to live somewhere that he can drive to work in about a half hour or less and where we would not have to buy a second car (meaning, I can take public transit or bike or walk).

2. We don't want to live in an apartment complex or in a place that feels too much like a suburb. I hate strip malls. We need to live somewhere that has sidewalks. I would love to live down the block from a corner store. we have that now and it is great.

3. We have no kids or pets. In our early 30s. We bike. We camp. We like going out to eat. Vegetarians. We like good beers and live music and would like to be able to walk to enjoy these things (ya, no drinking beers and driving for us).

I am coming out next week to check out the area and make sure I like it (pretty sure I will because everyone i talk to is seriously in love w/ portland). What is the best way to go about apartment hunting? craigslist? the newspaper? Any suggestions on the area to look? anywhere I must go when out to visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:26 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
Use all of the resources you mentioned.

Several of your requirements are in conflict.. Hillsboro IS a suburb.

The neighborhood known as Orenco might meet your needs.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Use all of the resources you mentioned.

Several of your requirements are in conflict.. Hillsboro IS a suburb.

The neighborhood known as Orenco might meet your needs.
so everything w/in 30 minutes commute is suburbs? i guess i'll see for myself next week. i don't care about living in a small community, i just don't want to have to drive everywhere i need to go.

what else is in conflict? i don't get it.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:11 PM

I had a hard time invisioning how your #2 would work.

Take a look around the Max Blue line stations for something that would meet your needs. If your work commute could be a combo of Max and bike you could probably live in the Portland city center, however, the cost of housing is highest in the Portland city center. TriMet: How to Load Your Bike on MAX
TriMet: MAX Blue Line (Hillsboro/City Center/Gresham) Map & Schedule

Old 05-02-2008, 12:49 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Sounds like you want to be in Portland. Or closer in (say below 39th) on the East Side would probably work for you too - there, you'd be more likely to find a house rather than apartment. Downtown it'll likely be apartments, or lofts.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,627,663 times
You can also check in the NW 23rd area as there are a number of duplex units there and the same thing for parts of Goose Hollow. Is he planning on taking MAX or driving to Hillsboro? One thing that's a bonus about staying on the west side is you won't have to commute with the rest of the people on the east side who are trying to get downtown. If you start off on the west side it's mostly a reverse commute.

You might also check out the Multnomah Village area.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,064 times
What about Vancouver, Washington across Portland, Oregon? I heard it is cheaper but hard to get across the bridge in rush hour (only)?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Vancouver has weak public transit, not to mention AWFUL congestion across the interstate bridge during commute hours. A non-starter for someone who works in Hillsboro and whose family wants pedistrian friendly access. When (IF) Vancouver gets light rail THEN it would be worth considering.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:07 AM

16 posts, read 38,615 times
i currently live in the city and commute out to the suburbs. traffic is really tolerable when driving opposite the rush hour commuters. you would likely be better off living in sw if your husband has to drive to hillsboro for work.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:23 AM

63 posts, read 222,056 times
I would first check to see how close your husband's work is to the Light Rail line. If it is fairly close he could use the Light Rail to commute to and from work and you could then live anywhere within a convenient location to the rail in Portland.

It really sounds like you would be more interested in living in the coty rather than the suburbs. It only means that your husband will have to commute to work rather than both of you having to commute to stores, recreation, pubs, concerts, etc.

If it is convenient for him to use light rail to commute, I would seriously look at the Hollywood district on Portland (close in NE). THere are a lot of great restaiurants, pubs (actual brew pubs), music venues, bike paths, parks, eclectic shops, etc. Depending on where you are there are also some great markets. This would be anything west of NE 60th avenue and bordered by NE Sandy on the South and NE Handcock on the North side. It sort of forms a triangle since NE Sandy runs at an angle from NW to SE.

This area will put you close to a couple of Light Rail stations. Your can get more details on this map... TriMet: MAX Light Rail System Map

On the East side (right side of map) you can see Lloyd Center/NE 11th, Hollywood/NE 42nd TC, and NE 60th...all good stops to live around. The scan your eyes AAAALLLLLLLLLL the way to the left side of the map and you will see Hillsboro.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland