Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:13 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,685,101 times

Advertisements

Ok,

I am getting ready for our trip out to Portland this Saturday and am really psyched.

Last night I flying thru the city via Google Earth around all the places we are considering to live in. And I must admit that I can see why the West Linn and Lake Oswego areas are so popular and expensive. As I was 'flying' over the Willamette River around these areas I couldn't help but notice the awesome beauty.

Then I flew over Hillsboro, Beaverton, Tigard and Sherwood. And I would have to say that at least form the sky the others all looked about the same. Now I am not saying they look bad but just that they had that standard suburbia look with houses lined up and a some neighborhood parks here and there.

But of course I realize that Google Earth has its limitations. And yet it is hard to deny the beauty my wife and I saw of the pictures kayakers took while cruising the river in and around West Linn/Lake Oswego. Not to mention there are some really nice looking state parks/nature areas right there as well. So is this really one the nicest parts of Portland proper for scenery, river access and outdoor activity?

Just south of downtown looks pretty nice as well - Marquam Hill, Burlingame, etc...

West Linn seems a bit pricey. But if it is really that nice it may be worth say getting a fixer upper on a decent lot with easy access to the river, parks, nature centers, etc...

Lastly since I work in IT I was wondering how the commute might be from West Linn to the Silicon Forest (Beaverton/Hillsboro) area?

Thanks,

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 07:35 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,256,741 times
I have friends who live in West Linn. Their house is up a hill and from it, it looks very private, tho too shady for my taste. They like the location for the good schools when their kids were in them and the easy accessibility to serious outdoorsy stuff, cycling, and running. They commute to downtown. The area is very pretty with lots of hills and the Willamette close by

Old 05-05-2008, 07:38 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,428 times
You might want to check out the John's Landing area. SW Macadam is the main street, and it turns into Hwy 43 as you head south towards Lake Oswego.

John's Landing is close to downtown, has a variety of houses. Some are about 100 years old. Willamette Park and the river form the eastern border for John's Landing. If I were staying in Portland, I'd probably buy a house there. There are also some nice condos along the river.

The only minor things I don't like about it are the small lots and the poor radio reception.

I hope you have a good stay and that the nice weather holds for you.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:54 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
If you're looking for a "natural" area, West Linn/Lake Oswego is definitely it. Another difference is they're in the hills, while Beaverton/Hillsboro are on the Tualatin Plains. Flat means it was farmed, and farms were easy to convert into housing developments.

West Linn/Lake Oswego has a fairly straight route over to Hillsboro/Beaverton, but Highway 217 (the most direct route) is heavily traveled, and crowded. It's not my part of town, but I imagine there are some back routes that might be less crowded.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:20 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,685,101 times
Thanks guys/gals,

I look forward to seeing the area in person. My first instinct when I heard about of popularity and prices of West Linn/Lake Oswego was to stay away! I normally look for something more low key. But the area seems to possess many of the qualities we are searching for so we will have to check it out.

The prices are quite a bit more as I was checking out various RE sites last night. But it seems like there may be 'some' deals to be had. Then there are the adjoining towns where prices seem to drop relatively quickly like eastern parts of Tigard & Tualatin. And of course there is Wanker's Corner which is pretty close to the action! LOL...

I guess it boils down to how close one wants to be to the river vs. having a possibly newer, larger home. It would be a trade off for us but may be worth it. I know our kids would enjoy a walk or bike ride down to the river.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:49 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,152 times
Don't forget to take lots of pictures! LOL.
I'm interested in the biking trails (or lack of?) in Lake Oswego/Tualatin/Wilsonvill/Sherwood areas myself. If you see anything interesting can you post and/or take some pics? I love your pictures so any of the actual neighborhood feel of your areas would probably be much appreciated by all. Have fun! I'm jealous. LOL. I'll be up there in July though, so not too much longer.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:54 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thanks guys/gals,

I look forward to seeing the area in person. My first instinct when I heard about of popularity and prices of West Linn/Lake Oswego was to stay away! I normally look for something more low key. But the area seems to possess many of the qualities we are searching for so we will have to check it out.

The prices are quite a bit more as I was checking out various RE sites last night. But it seems like there may be 'some' deals to be had. Then there are the adjoining towns where prices seem to drop relatively quickly like eastern parts of Tigard & Tualatin. And of course there is Wanker's Corner which is pretty close to the action! LOL...

I guess it boils down to how close one wants to be to the river vs. having a possibly newer, larger home. It would be a trade off for us but may be worth it. I know our kids would enjoy a walk or bike ride down to the river.
Don't forget there are many rivers, creeks and streams. Willamette is just one, flowing relatively north and south. There is the Columbia, of course, then there is the Clackamas river, lots of people fish there.. I'm not so sure about the quality of the water, but it is lovely. Somewhat shallow in some places, other areas can handle motor boats. Johnson Creek in the Milwaukie area sometimes floods and gets publicity when it does. Kelly Creek runs through part of Milwaukie (Aldercrest Rd.) also and is in a small wooded valley. Homes along there are in shade and the prices can be around what you're seeking.. and be on the year round creek.

Tualatin River, shallower, about 20 - 40 feet wide river (like trout fishing type?) also has newer homes (90's anyway) in Willamette off Borland Road.

Up in the Beaverton area... (well NW Portland) there is the Forest Park area. This is the largest park in the US metropolitan area, from what I've heard. Over 5,000 acres and 70 miles of mixed use trails. Mostly wooded with incredible habitat. There is the Audobon Park with wild birds being kept (some were injured in their youth and would not survive in the wild). Dogs are NOT allowed in this park and for those who are allergic or don't like having dogs frequently "off leash" in areas where they don't belong, it is a nice change.
Most areas of Portland are very dog friendly, but not everyone living here enjoys them that much. So much for the river park info.

Tigard and Tualatin have many newer homes as it was built up rather quickly, and there are good schools in the area (not quite as stellar as LO and West Linn schools, but certainly solid with some good programs). and it's not too terribly far from the IT areas.

Happy Valley and Damascus also are gorgeous with rolling hills, great closer views of MT. Hood. Both of those areas, although not as heavily treed as Lake Oswego, have newer gorgeous homes... Because it was overbuilt quickly on speculation, mostly, there are bargains to be had now. (Including short sales). I don't know about a year or two from now.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:32 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
It's Kellogg Creek in Milwaukie. That would not be an easy commute, though.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:42 PM

290 posts, read 1,180,762 times
We recently purchased a house in Lake Oswego (LO). LO is much more expensive for sure. West Linn is very nice too. We purchased a smaller house on a smaller lot to get into LO. You're right about the positives of LO/WL. Proximity to Portland, nature, schools etc make these two as nice options. Unless you have to have the schools here, I would recommend you to also look at Tigard. Reason is that Tigard is not that far (about 5-10 minutes away).

I also love the nothwest part of Portland. But a little more urban that we liked. West Linn is very nice. It does have a lot of dependency on I-205.

So far everything is great with our move to LO. We've hiked and biked in Tryon Creek State park, and Forest Park. Both are beyond great. Tryon Creek is about 600+ acres and Forest Park is about 8-9x that. Tryon Creek is at the edge of LO (about 4 miles from where we live).

Friends of*Tryon Creek State Park

Forest Park is about a 15-20 minute drive depending on traffic.

Access to shopping and restaurants is also amazing. Within a short distance of our house we can get to schools, my work, restaurants and shopping. There is a nice shopping area in Tigard called Bridgeport, and it has most everything:

Bridgeport Village - Best shopping center in Portland, OR

The negatives, like you said, it is expensive in terms of house prices. Hwy 217 is the way into Beaverton/Hillsboro. 217 is congested often. However, there are many back roads which is very nice, but can get frustrating with all the traffic lights. I highly recommend to stay close to where you will work.

One positive thing about commuting from here is that there is a new commuter train service that is going to start fall of this year. It goes through Wilsonville, Tualatin and Tigard. From our house in LO the train stop in Tigard is less than 4 miles away without having to get on any highway. That is cool and I can't wait :-)

More info about the new service is here:

TriMet: WES Commuter Rail (Washington County, Wilsonville to Beaverton)

In Beaverton, you will be able to transfer to the MAX, so that is nice too.

By the way, I-5 is seriously congested during rush hour. You want to avoid if all possible. But I believe this new commuter train will help provide another commuting option. I don't know much about 205 yet...

Old 05-06-2008, 07:20 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It's Kellogg Creek in Milwaukie. That would not be an easy commute, though.
Thanks... I knew it didn't look quite right... Long day..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland