Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2020, 12:09 PM

42 posts, read 80,771 times

Advertisements

Due to ‘Covid’. Let me get this straight........people at Whole Foods and McDonalds can show up to work but the city can’t perform basic functions like ticketing abandoned vehicles and I am just supposed to put up with it? We pay big taxes for what I don’t know. We have had a abandoned SUV in front of our house for a couple months now with a broken side window. On leaf day the thing was there so no we have a big clump of wet and decaying leaves pooled up in front of our parking strip.

I thought cars were supposed to move for leaf day? What the heck am I paying taxes for if the city cannot perform basic duties to keep the neighborhoods liveable? We live in one of the highest property tax neighborhoods in the city......not that it really matters but any ‘liveability’ in Portland is slipping away day by day. They let one thing slide and then another, and then before you know it we have what we have now. Are the city “leaders” blind to what is going on and how it must look to outsiders? I don’t get it. I have lived in the city going on 55 years now and have never seen things so bad. Even in the 80’s they took care of business and made things presentable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 01:10 PM

242 posts, read 206,780 times
The govt of Portland doesn't feel like enforcing laws, which is okay because the citizens don't really feel like following laws either.

It sounds like it's time to move.

Last edited by Swizzle Stick; 12-30-2020 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-30-2020, 01:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I miss buying my cars at towing company for $35.

(Over 600 cars / week sold at (3) auctions (Speeds, Road-One, Sergeants) in Portland 10+ yrs ago)

Last time I went to 'abandoned car auction' only about 1/4th the number of cars for 4x the price.

Rules were put in place to keep towing companies from cruising around towing every car they could find illegally parked. Too bad, I could use a few more $35 cars. (I only have ~18 cars remaining as spares, at the moment.)

Sometimes motorhomes and buses would sell for as much as $100 if they had valid tabs.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
What is "Leaf Day." I've never heard of that one before. Guessing they send in a street sweeper regularly in the fall?

Old 01-03-2021, 10:25 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doity View Post
Due to ‘Covid’. Let me get this straight........people at Whole Foods and McDonalds can show up to work but the city can’t perform basic functions like ticketing abandoned vehicles and I am just supposed to put up with it? We pay big taxes for what I don’t know. We have had a abandoned SUV in front of our house for a couple months now with a broken side window. On leaf day the thing was there so no we have a big clump of wet and decaying leaves pooled up in front of our parking strip.

I thought cars were supposed to move for leaf day? What the heck am I paying taxes for if the city cannot perform basic duties to keep the neighborhoods liveable? We live in one of the highest property tax neighborhoods in the city......not that it really matters but any ‘liveability’ in Portland is slipping away day by day. They let one thing slide and then another, and then before you know it we have what we have now. Are the city “leaders” blind to what is going on and how it must look to outsiders? I don’t get it. I have lived in the city going on 55 years now and have never seen things so bad. Even in the 80’s they took care of business and made things presentable.
We get the government we vote for. I have only lived here for 7 years, but I am astonished what the voters in this city will put up with. This is as much of a one party town as Stalingrad was back in the day. But can't progressives at least be marginally competent? Every election, I study the voter's guide and read all the candidate statements, plus their websites, etc. Virtually every candidate, with very few exceptions, focus on big progressive feel good ideas and totally ignore anything that actually has to do with how a city is run. The only exception I can think of is Mingus Mapps who just got elected commissioner. He actually ran on livability issues. I am hopeful things might start to change.

Have you heard about the Coalition to Save Portland? ( www.savepdx.org ) It sounds like people are actually starting to organize and try to salvage the city from the incompetence of its governing class.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:31 PM

648 posts, read 431,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doity View Post

Call the city and tell them you are afraid it will be doused in kerosene and set on fire with a strike anywhere kitchen match, any day now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland