Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,357 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Soon to be in Portland, searching for opinions, feedback, advice. I am due to arrive at PDX from Bangkok on May 20th and could use a little local wisdom about where to look for housing and how to avoid problems. I have never been to Portland before and I don’t know anyone in the area. I am traveling with my dog (Jack), so I guess I am technically not “alone”, but I don’t think that Jack will provide much in the way of good advice.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]As a result of a bicycle accident, I am recovering from a severe head injury (TBI), and on disability, so not working or looking for work, but have a steady income. Hoping to find a place where I can bicycle without a repeat of this, and am hoping that Portland is that place. I am not really able to operate a motor vehicle any longer, partly due to my injuries (but mostly because they emit CO2), so I am looking for an area where biking/walking/public transit can be sole transport. I am not getting rich on disability, so the area also needs to be affordable. My biggest concern is finding low cost housing in a relatively safe part of town. Having Jack with me does not help much when looking for an apartment. I’m hoping to find a studio apartment that will allow a dog for around $400-500. I know that this is not too likely in any decent area of Portland. Maybe Vancouver? Maybe a room mate situation? Anybody have any suggestions? I would love to hear any ideas/thoughts. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:29 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
In the downtown area and the Pearl district there are several median income units that are probably in your price range and many allow dogs. A good place to start would be
here: Housing Connections Many of the median income units advertise availability here. Since you're on disability you would qualify income wise.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 PM

178 posts, read 584,433 times
I'd be hard pressed to think of a better living location considering your particular situation. The conundrum is that the cities that tend to have the most extensive public transit systems that one can genuinely use to get around without too much hassle also tend to be the most expensive cities. I'm thinking New York, Boston, San Francisco. Portland is unique in that it has the lowest cost of living of the major West Coast metro areas but simultaneously has one of the best public transit systems.

The main concern you always hear about PDX on these boards is...jobs...and since that is a non-issue for you it is not a consideration.

Regarding bicycles, I believe that Portland is generally regarded as the most bicycle friendly city in the entire U.S. and has the highest number of residents commuting by bike to work.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
My friend who has been retired for the past 5 or 6 years had good luck finding an apartment with the help of HAP the housing authority of Portland. They help lower-to-middle income people and those with disabilities find housing and even jobs if necessary.

Be very careful about rental agencies. They are often nothing more than scams. In times like these when apartments are hard to come by they prey on people who are desperate for apartments. They will list really crappy apartments that even the most desperate don't want to live in. If you go to one of these places and they ask you for money, run like the wind.

HAP is run by the city. The URL is Welcome to the Housing Authority of Portland, Oregon .

Good luck, I hope you find what you need.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:51 PM

20 posts, read 115,348 times
might want to try craigslist portland. Portland is expensive. We have a good bike vibe going on here. Weather sucks most of the time. You may end up having an issue with it. Summers are gorgeous!!! Good places to see Hawthorne, Downtown, Woodstock area. Think that there are better places than Oregon.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,357 times
Default Thank you Portlanders

Many thanks to oldtintype, argo69, Manerva, and yanea for your help and advice. I will get in touch with HAP as soon as I arrive, and will keep my eye on craigslist until then. Craigslist is nice in that it lets you specify that you have a dog when you search their apartments list. I'm sure that I will find something that will work out. Thanks all.

BKK2PDX

Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 AM

36 posts, read 192,493 times
I think the downtown area such as Nob Hill, the Pearl and the Coltural District would suit you best for your situation. I would check the Sitka in the Pearl or the Morisson (morrison??) by PGE park, they are both income restricted and inexpensive nice buildings with great locations. Good luck! Sawadee Ka!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland