Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,978 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I moved to Portland almost 2 years ago with a dream to buy my first single family home, however I feel quite uncertain about the future health of Portland's real estate market & overall financial stability. And by long-term I'm referring to 7+ years.

In just two years I have seen a major decay in the quality of the city, surges in homelessness & tents EVERYWHERE (even in affluent neighborhoods), trash covering almost every street, needles sprawled out openly, drug dealings in popular neighborhoods, crime surges, graffiti covering most businesses & many shops being permanently closed due to the city turning a blind eye to all these increasing problems. In fact, the city is encouraging homelessness by placing port-potties on the streets which has increased tents, crimes & drug use in those areas, paid for by tax dollars. And instead of opening more shelters they are closing them. Property taxes have also increased due to the homeless issue however no changes have been made, so basically home-owners are paying more to own a home while at the same time facing declining property values due to the same issues, it's insane.

Some of these issues are intensified due to the pandemic but it's mostly due to the city's efforts and lack thereof. Some argue there is an intentional design to destroy Portland & turn it into Detroit. I don't see positive changes ahead, I see more lawlessness, esp if the police funds are cut, more homeless, more crime & more filth. I have lived in several major cities & Portland is by far the dirtiest, looks like a giant landfill. From the looks of things I'd say Portland long-term is a disaster! Due to low interest rates & less inventory home buyers are over-paying for homes & driving up the market to unrealistic prices.

I'm worried if I purchased a single family home, even in an area where the trash & homeless aren't concentrated in, that eventually in time it will become another tent city. The only areas I don't see tents/trash are in the NW neighborhood. However, tents pop up everywhere so if the homeless population continues to increase then eventually the NW will become another casualty.

Thoughts on if these issues are mainly related to Multnomah county?

Is Vancouver Wa & other Wa states a better investment in properties & quality of life, or perhaps other counties in Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 08:35 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,420 times
My spouse works in the personal finance industry. She has seen large increase in people leaving Portland due to issues you describe.

Interestingly, she says that several of these people admit to voting for Democrats. They thought the ideas and principles were good but now realize they are hollow. They never thought this is the outcome of what they were voting for and they are dismayed and disappointed. I tell her that I hope they are not taking these same ideas and voting practices to wherever they are going. (Apparently AZ and ID are popular choices - NOT other parts of Oregon) Taxes also come into play. OR is a tax hell state if you have income.

I do not know if her experiences are an anomaly or an example of what is occurring on a larger scale.

I cannot foresee the future but I thought her work experiences may help you in your thoughts.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:56 AM

Thanks for your thoughtful input!

I think the droves of people moving out of Oregon that your spouse is witnessing is definitely not an anomaly, but rather the actions of what will be deemed 'normal' over the next few more years. The picture is pretty clear on the direction Portland is going, which is a downward spiral.

I'm going to trust my instincts & not purchase a home in PDX, and at this point not sure if I'll even stay in Oregon. What a shame, a once beautiful city that destroyed itself.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:26 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops247 View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful input!

I think the droves of people moving out of Oregon that your spouse is witnessing is definitely not an anomaly, but rather the actions of what will be deemed 'normal' over the next few more years. The picture is pretty clear on the direction Portland is going, which is a downward spiral.

I'm going to trust my instincts & not purchase a home in PDX, and at this point not sure if I'll even stay in Oregon. What a shame, a once beautiful city that destroyed itself.
Perhaps, OTOH, OR is will likely always be behind CA in terms of insanity and COL. OR will probably always be attractive to CA folks. That will mitigate any population decline and likely keep housing costs high.

I will be happy to sell my mid 70's trilevel for a stupid amount to some Californian when we are ready to bail out of here.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:57 PM

469 posts, read 433,316 times
I feel your exasperation and dismay. IMO you are smart to refrain from a home purchase in Portland. You would likely find yourself in a constant state of angst.

I also no longer recognize the city we fell in love with many years ago. It is a shame but we’ve already come to terms with it, and will be moving out of state by springtime.

I’m willing to admit this is probably an “it’s not you, it’s me...” breakup situation. Meaning, the city and its leaders clearly have ideals that the citizens support (or at least tolerate...), and that is fine. I simply cannot stay enlisted in what I see unfolding.

In talking to our realtor, she is still seeing an influx of Californians as that exodus continues unabated. There is also pent up demand from locals seeking upgrades and change in scenery within the local PDX housing market. So, houses are still selling. Longer term, who knows? Like you, I have major concerns.

Many here see zero issues with Portland’s direction, and I respect that viewpoint. I just see it differently and am doing something about it (moving), rather than stewing over it.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:52 AM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
........ OR will probably always be attractive to CA folks. ........

Getting much less so. Californians have turned Oregon crazy like California and Californians don't seem to like that, so they are moving to other states and polluting them with their California ideas and trying to turn those other areas into what they have moved to try to escape.

Texas seems to be a popular target for Californians escaping California. Texas is also receiving a lot of businesses that got taxed out of California.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:54 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops247 View Post
Hi folks,

I moved to Portland almost 2 years ago with a dream to buy my first single family home, however I feel quite uncertain about the future health of Portland's real estate market & overall financial stability. And by long-term I'm referring to 7+ years.

In just two years I have seen a major decay in the quality of the city, surges in homelessness & tents EVERYWHERE (even in affluent neighborhoods), trash covering almost every street, needles sprawled out openly, drug dealings in popular neighborhoods, crime surges, graffiti covering most businesses & many shops being permanently closed due to the city turning a blind eye to all these increasing problems. In fact, the city is encouraging homelessness by placing port-potties on the streets which has increased tents, crimes & drug use in those areas, paid for by tax dollars. And instead of opening more shelters they are closing them. Property taxes have also increased due to the homeless issue however no changes have been made, so basically home-owners are paying more to own a home while at the same time facing declining property values due to the same issues, it's insane.

Some of these issues are intensified due to the pandemic but it's mostly due to the city's efforts and lack thereof. Some argue there is an intentional design to destroy Portland & turn it into Detroit. I don't see positive changes ahead, I see more lawlessness, esp if the police funds are cut, more homeless, more crime & more filth. I have lived in several major cities & Portland is by far the dirtiest, looks like a giant landfill. From the looks of things I'd say Portland long-term is a disaster! Due to low interest rates & less inventory home buyers are over-paying for homes & driving up the market to unrealistic prices.

I'm worried if I purchased a single family home, even in an area where the trash & homeless aren't concentrated in, that eventually in time it will become another tent city. The only areas I don't see tents/trash are in the NW neighborhood. However, tents pop up everywhere so if the homeless population continues to increase then eventually the NW will become another casualty.

Thoughts on if these issues are mainly related to Multnomah county?

Is Vancouver Wa & other Wa states a better investment in properties & quality of life, or perhaps other counties in Oregon?
I have to agree with you on everything you commented on. I would not recommend buying in Portland period, and for the exact reasons you mentioned. One just never knows. Is my street and property next to be taken over by the local issues and problems.

I left Portland in 2012 when I retired. I couldn't afford to retire there was a major reason I left. In all honesty though I couldn't take what was happening to the city. Such a beautiful place had become a public toilet , and it was being allowed to happen. I decided there was no way in hell. That I was going to continue paying high taxes, to support all the down and outs.in that city. Basically I felt forced out by a Political base, and locals content with a city turned Public Toilet. Make no mistake there are plenty of Portlanders, content with the issues you describe. For the life of me I don't get it.

You are wise to take notice and plan accordingly. Protect your future. You would most likely be better off outside Portland. In a suburb or over in Washington. The problems you are dealing with are not new. It's just they got so out of control, that many can't live like that.

Just be careful making a decision right now. Things are in such disarray it's difficult to completely plan ahead Do some realy compete research on some communities you may find appealing. You want a place with stability that isn't overrun with the level of problems Portland allows. You want to be respected as a homeowner, not used for tax revenue to support every down and out that flocks to Portland.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have to agree with you on everything you commented on. I would not recommend buying in Portland period, and for the exact reasons you mentioned. One just never knows. Is my street and property next to be taken over by the local issues and problems.

I left Portland in 2012 when I retired. I couldn't afford to retire there was a major reason I left. In all honesty though I couldn't take what was happening to the city. Such a beautiful place had become a public toilet , and it was being allowed to happen. I decided there was no way in hell. That I was going to continue paying high taxes, to support all the down and outs.in that city. Basically I felt forced out by a Political base, and locals content with a city turned Public Toilet. Make no mistake there are plenty of Portlanders, content with the issues you describe. For the life of me I don't get it.

You are wise to take notice and plan accordingly. Protect your future. You would most likely be better off outside Portland. In a suburb or over in Washington. The problems you are dealing with are not new. It's just they got so out of control, that many can't live like that.

Just be careful making a decision right now. Things are in such disarray it's difficult to completely plan ahead Do some realy compete research on some communities you may find appealing. You want a place with stability that isn't overrun with the level of problems Portland allows. You want to be respected as a homeowner, not used for tax revenue to support every down and out that flocks to Portland.

You made some truly excellent points & I appreciate it! You're right, I'm being very careful what areas to look further into, then spending time in those neighborhoods before I buy. The key word is 'stability' & community pride with a political force that aligns with those values.

In my humble opinion, the state is collecting stacks of millions (including tax revenue from cannabis) but not allocating those dollars to make an impact on the issues. In fact, they have closed a few shelters & no programs have been implemented to curb the issues. Homeowners are being swindled out of higher property taxes with no laws or programs in force to make a difference. It's pathetic, disgusting & I'm shocked the locals aren't up in arms, I guess they're too busy with BLM agenda. Flash forward 10 years from now & I wouldn't be surprised if PDX was a barren wasteland with many abandoned houses & businesses, plus the city covered in trash. A second Detroit is coming.....

Old 12-05-2020, 09:52 PM

290 posts, read 288,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Perhaps, OTOH, OR is will likely always be behind CA in terms of insanity and COL. OR will probably always be attractive to CA folks. That will mitigate any population decline and likely keep housing costs high.

I will be happy to sell my mid 70's trilevel for a stupid amount to some Californian when we are ready to bail out of here.
Indeed. There are roughly 40 million of us down here in the formerly Golden State, and the No Vacancy sign has been up for a long time because we have absorbed massive in-migration from other states (including Oregon) for decades. Long past time to return some of the lost to their native lands.

As for craziness, yes, CA is crazy, but the gap is closing. Even CA isn't ready to decriminalize virtually all drug possession.

Spot on re your earlier comment about Oregon being less-than-friendly from an income tax standpoint. At my income level, I'm paying roughly 40% less than I would in OR.

Old 12-06-2020, 05:02 PM

2,264 posts, read 971,551 times
Kudos to Rose City Antifa and BLM for making Portland less safe for your family:

Stalker terrifies Portland neighborhoods

Quote:
Over summer and into fall, residents in Rose City Park and North Tabor had posted flyers on street poles, hidden in cars overnight in stealth sting operations, even set up homemade detection devices. One woman, armed with a flashlight that doubles as a stun gun, went on nightly patrols.

They had to do the investigative work themselves, they said, because police didn’t or responded too slowly -- an increasingly common complaint from crime victims throughout the city during an unprecedented time of turbulent street protests that consumed police attention, a record number of officer retirements and millions of dollars in budget cuts.

A single detective was left to handle all burglary investigations in Portland during much of the summer; a second detective joined him only in the last couple of weeks.

Police two years ago had a team of six detectives to handle residential and commercial burglaries – a prolific crime with more than 5,500 reported in the past year, including almost 140 in the two neighborhoods where the stranger was lurking. . . .

Given everything that’s happened, he remains discouraged. The other women affected said they haven’t heard back from police in recent months.

“Now we’re waiting for the DA to bring this to a grand jury,” Howard said. “I’m not holding my breath on that.”

Last edited by mathlete; 12-06-2020 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland