Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2021, 10:22 PM

389 posts, read 399,540 times

Advertisements

Do you want Portland to become more fast paced or relaxed?
The term New York minute was derived due to the fast pace of business in Manhattan decades ago. A city like Portland seems to be more relaxed and not as in a rush as other places. I don’t mean to suggest Portland cannot accomplish financial transactions as quickly as other places, but I am saying the vibe of the city is different than NYC.

A taxi driver in NYC will leave you feeling like you were in a race car. I noticed the taxi drivers in Portland to be pleasant, down to earth, and not in a rush. Obviously people can be different in all places, but do you feel Portland to be more relaxed?

My one visit to Oregon was for a family reunion near Eugene. We had the chance to drive through Portland and there I made my observations. Is there a financial district of Portland? I didn’t see big sky scrapers but I saw some buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 11:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
Do you want Portland to become more fast paced or relaxed?
My one visit to Oregon was for a family reunion near Eugene. We had the chance to drive through Portland and there I made my observations. Is there a financial district of Portland? I didn’t see big sky scrapers but I saw some buildings.
When was your ONE visit?

Do you feel "Hustle and Bustle is a 'choice'? It is more of a 'culture'.

The PNW already has a "Hustle and Bustle", it's called Seattle.

Portland = Beer culture, and mellow (Laid back is acceptable, and may often be the norm / preferred)
Seattle = Coffee culture and hyper (Upwardly mobile quest)

Both places have a lot of passive aggressive types. Unlike NYC (and Boston) who is culturally more Aggressive / in-your-face type. But all big cities have all kinds of people and culture groups.

I would expect Portland cab drivers to be very different than NYC. Similar to Tokyo and Osaka, Or London and Manchester or Liverpool. Very different cities, tho in same country.

Yes Portland has a financial district (Bank HeadQtrs, brokerages, WTC...)
It is called DOWNTOWN in this map...
Business District Map - Venture PortlandVenture Portland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Bancorp_Tower
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_...rtland,_Oregon)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Portland,_Oregon

Ironically... my brokerage just left their DTWN Portland site (after 40+ yrs) and headed to Vancouver, WA.

If you are looking for quick financial transactions, you no longer head to a Bank! Covid seems to have brought out the worst of banking fraud, and it is nearly impossible to do banking quickly. Sign on with Interactive Brokers or ThinkorSwim platforms if you need (or expect) QUICK! Probably quicker to go through London or Singapore or Zurich than to go to a major USA city and try to deal with a bank.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:38 AM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times
The more relaxed vibe is one of the things I appreciate visiting from Seattle. I wouldn't want that in a place to live right now --- I am trying to learn more skills, network, and build my career --- but it's a nice break from my daily life.

I would like Portland to become denser and more walkable. East of 205 and in most of the suburbs, there might be light rail stations, but there's not much around them. Seems like all the urban growth boundary has done is pushed the sprawling subdivisions in Beaverton closer together.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:31 PM

85 posts, read 115,347 times
Portland has always had that down and out vibe. Misfits and non-conformists who would rather protest and get high than anything. Hustle bustle implies ambition and drive. Portlandians just don't have it and likely never will. Take self-serve gas for example. The rest of the nation wants to pump their own and get on with life. Not Oregon. Perfectly content with sitting in their cars like bumps on a log and wait for the experts to pump their gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland