Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 03:50 PM

157 posts, read 88,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatus View Post
I beg to differ. Most people did not want the police defunded, so they voted for the lesser of 2 evils.

I saw plenty of signs for write in candidates, but the results were so insignificant they didn't register even a blip. They made their beds, now time to lie down in them. Probably Portland is going to ride the Democratic party all the way to the bottom like Detroit, Baltimore and various other imploded cities did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 09:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,136,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltCueOur View Post
Sammamish is about 5 miles east of Seattle 'as the crow flies', not 23.
More like 10 as the crow flies, but I'm not a crow, and have to drive to work in Seattle. That's 23 miles by my odometer.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:33 AM

200 posts, read 168,955 times
you get what you vote for. Oregon is a beautiful place run by extreme lefties that ruin everything they touch. goes for pretty much the entire west coast actually.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:00 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,820,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post
you get what you vote for. Oregon is a beautiful place run by extreme lefties that ruin everything they touch. goes for pretty much the entire west coast actually.
Agree -

The funny part that Lefties here will claim that this is only because Republican party puts up "extreme" candidates. Give me a break.

In normal parts of America, Oregon Republicans would be cast as Democrats.
And the OR Democrats would be cast as just plain batsh&t crazy.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:16 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,621,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Agree -

The funny part that Lefties here will claim that this is only because Republican party puts up "extreme" candidates. Give me a break.

In normal parts of America, Oregon Republicans would be cast as Democrats.
And the OR Democrats would be cast as just plain batsh&t crazy.
I agree with both of you. I have been going to Oregon since the mid 80s to vacation because it is so beautiful. We even plan to move there in the near future.

Moderator cut: unnecessary

I guess like everyplace you have to take the good with the bad.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-07-2021 at 07:54 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 10:20 PM

157 posts, read 88,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I agree with both of you. I have been going to Oregon since the mid 80s to vacation because it is so beautiful. We even plan to move there in the near future.

Moderator cut: unnecessary

I guess like everyplace you have to take the good with the bad.
Where are you living now? Why do you plan to move here?

Old 04-08-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumined View Post
Where are you living now? Why do you plan to move here?
I live in the upper mid-west now and have the majority of my life.

Why? For several reasons including weather, fishing/crabbing/clamming, the huge variety of outdoor activities all in such short distances of each other, and I have spent a lot of time there and really enjoyed it.

My time there was split between vacations and visiting my Mom and brother/sister who lived in Newport, Portland and Astoria from the late 80s-late 00s.

There is a lot more but that is the very short version.

Moderator cut: do not discuss moderating in the open forum

EDITED: To add hoping to go out to Newport next month to look at some properties. With the crazy prices right now chances are it will be just looking.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-08-2021 at 09:23 AM..

Old 04-09-2021, 10:22 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,820,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I live in the upper mid-west now and have the majority of my life.

Why? For several reasons including weather, fishing/crabbing/clamming, the huge variety of outdoor activities all in such short distances of each other, and I have spent a lot of time there and really enjoyed it.

My time there was split between vacations and visiting my Mom and brother/sister who lived in Newport, Portland and Astoria from the late 80s-late 00s.

There is a lot more but that is the very short version.

Moderator cut: do not discuss moderating in the open forum

EDITED: To add hoping to go out to Newport next month to look at some properties. With the crazy prices right now chances are it will be just looking.
Lived for decades in midwest prior to taking new job here.
Understand the pros and cons before committing.

Pros:
Pretty place with fair amount of geographical diversity.
Mild weather - do not miss feet of snow and days of below zero temps
Few mosquitoes
Crabbing
Good duck hunting with a long season.

Cons:
Literally insane gov't policy.
In the years I have lived here, I have seen NOTHING that supports or makes life easier for the average working, taxpaying family. There is an overwhelming emphasis on stupid SJW crap like global warming, assistance to hobos, racial injustice (whatever that means) and excuses to take more money from productive members of society and redirect to govt bureaucracy.
it should be clear to anyone who can intelligently think, even if one assumes these topics are "real," it is clear OR gov't is not equipped to solve them.

The topic of this post is a clear example of this mentality.
Let us defund the racist police
Wait what?? Violence is going up?? How can that be??
Based on voting, I guess this is what the people here want.

EXPENSIVE with little return for the high COL
Bad public schools
People are not as friendly/outgoing as Midwest. "PNW chill" is a real thing. This is not that big of a deal though and friends will be made.
Talent pool does not have same work ethic as mid west. If you are retired, you may not care about this one.

Good luck with whatever comes your way.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Lived for decades in midwest prior to taking new job here.
Understand the pros and cons before committing.

Pros:
Pretty place with fair amount of geographical diversity.
Mild weather - do not miss feet of snow and days of below zero temps
Few mosquitoes
Crabbing
Good duck hunting with a long season.

Cons:
Literally insane gov't policy.
In the years I have lived here, I have seen NOTHING that supports or makes life easier for the average working, taxpaying family. There is an overwhelming emphasis on stupid SJW crap like global warming, assistance to hobos, racial injustice (whatever that means) and excuses to take more money from productive members of society and redirect to govt bureaucracy.
it should be clear to anyone who can intelligently think, even if one assumes these topics are "real," it is clear OR gov't is not equipped to solve them.

The topic of this post is a clear example of this mentality.
Let us defund the racist police
Wait what?? Violence is going up?? How can that be??
Based on voting, I guess this is what the people here want.

EXPENSIVE with little return for the high COL
Bad public schools
People are not as friendly/outgoing as Midwest. "PNW chill" is a real thing. This is not that big of a deal though and friends will be made.
Talent pool does not have same work ethic as mid west. If you are retired, you may not care about this one.

Good luck with whatever comes your way.

I have spent enough time out there to understand the cons. We are early 50s and retired because of that mid-west work ethic. So with a condo, gated community, or a nice place a few miles out of town most of the stuff that bothers me can be avoided most of the time.

Because I owned a seasonal business most of my time in Portland and on the coast was during rainy season. So I know about the 3 months of the never ending rotation of mist and sideways rain.

We are also going to keep our house here just in case after a few years we decide we don't like it out there. Been kinda planning for a couple years but the last year but a big delay into everything.

Can't imagine the week long high 90's heat waves of summer or the week long arctic plunges into the negative 30s is something I would miss.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:34 PM

10,004 posts, read 7,141,761 times
I've been travelling more since getting vaccinated.

I don't know how many of you have actually spent time in Portland, but I was just there and I can say with confidence that it is STILL one of the most covid shut down cities out of anywhere I've been across the U.S. in the last 2 months. It was kind of amazing how Portland proper was still so shut down vs. the suburbs... so apparently it is not state mandates, which were relaxed, but the people and businesses are voluntarily still only functioning at fractional capacity, as of yeaterday. I had to drive outside the city limits to get into a restaurant.

Also, Portland people seemed the most anal retentive about masks of any of the 10+ cities and states I've been to. People qeqring their masks outside with no one around them.

I have maintained ever since last summer that covid is behind the crime wave nationwide. When you abandon property you leave it ripe for adverse possession. It has been adversely possessed by criminals and the homeless. Lots of closed down businesses boarded up in formerly some of the most vibrant business districts of the city. What changed? It's empty that's what. It's for me to explain how empty Portland is at night compared to what it was pre covid.

Police patrols standing down didn't help but there are not enough police to patrol an entire emptied city even with generous budgets.

Going forward, as commerce in cities resumes, especially nightlife, I expect police budgets will actually increase but they will try to hire more lightly armed responders for lower intensity situations. Oregon as a whole but especially Portland is VERY shut down, far behind most of the country.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-24-2021 at 10:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland