Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:04 PM

9 posts, read 101,352 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am thinking about moving to Portland, OR and I was just wondering what the climate is like in the winter and summer time there. I am currently living in Saskatchewan, Canada and it can get down to -40 Celcius in the winter here and I do not like it at all. Im wondering what the temperature gets to there in the winter, and in the summer. I was also wondering what the social scene is like in Portland, because I am only 21.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 06:35 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Usually about 10 days of snow and 10 days above 100 F. Rains more than Saskatchewan, but you don't have to shovel it.

If you are a CN citizen just how are you planning to obtain residency? It isn't as easy as it used to be.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:06 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,250 times
I wouldn't say there's ten days of snow per year. Whatever snow we get, though, isn't much. If we get a dusting, the city and the Willamette Valley practically shut down.

As for the social scene, sorry. I'm a 49-year-old man and am not into that. However, I do know that Portland has received accolades for being one of the top cities attracting young, talented, creative people. Chances are you'd fit in somewhere. Depends on how outgoing and assertive you are. There's 2 million+ in the metro area, more than in the entire province of Saskatchewan. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:24 AM

252 posts, read 953,221 times
The climate here is similar to Vancouver BC. Much more rain and less extremes than you have. Portland is much smaller and less cosmopolitan than Vancouver. If I were you, I'd move to Vancouver! Lots more to do and see and my Canadian friends who moved from the plains ten years ago are very happy with their move.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,291 times
You might want to read this thread if you want to learn about the social scene for 21 year olds in Portland:
//www.city-data.com/forum/portl...negatives.html

Also, if you are sun-oriented then you may not like Portland. That is one of the top things people always complain about Portland.

But on the brighter side it has an excellent indie rock scene. Portland and Seattle amaze me in a good way when I see the huge numbers of people coming in and out of the rock scene. It is almost hard to bump into a cafe, basement, or venue without some great local music. I wish it was sunnier, then moving there wouldn't be out of the question for a guy who likes the sun. Also, even though many people say it is hard to make friends in Portland, let me say it isn't impossible. There are people who will genuinely like you and it won't be hard to get with them if you genuinely like them back.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:09 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,209 times
As I remember plenty to do in Portland for a 21 yr old. I was 21 once apon a time. The climate is mild compared to interior Canada. Rarely is it really cold in Portland. Its barely hot in summer and I cant say its humid at all compared to Texas. The only real downer for Portland weather isnt the rain, its just the obscene number of cloudy days. I echo the Vancouver BC comment. I have a buddy in Nanaimo on the island. Looks like paradise to me. The people I met there were genuinely nice. They mean it when they say "have a nice day". I am headed back in July.

Squidlo

Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Also, if you are sun-oriented then you may not like Portland.
Everyone tells me I would love Portland, and everything sounds perfect, except the gloomy weather. I have lived in Florida my entire life, so moving to a place with months of gloomy weather makes me hesitate. How many months of cloudy or gloomy weather are we talking about? Anyone here move from California or Florida? What are your opinions on the weather?

Old 05-14-2008, 10:33 PM

14 posts, read 73,710 times
I was born in Florida and grew up in California... and the weather definitely takes getting used to. I figure 7-8 months of mostly gray weather with occasional sunshine. I like just about everything Portland has to offer, but if there was one thing that would make me think about moving back, it's the weather.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 AM

845 posts, read 2,743,420 times
I grew up in Florida and I have been here for almost two years. I am still not used to the weather and for me it is very depressing. Some people enjoy the clouds but it makes me feel tired and unmotivated. The summers here are a little cooler than winter in South Florida so to me it feels cold most of the year. Today is the first day this year I did not have to wear a jacket to walk to work. But if you really want a change I cant think of a more opposite place from Florida than Portland.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:12 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Thank you for the replies. 7-8 months of gloomy weather wow, longer than I actually thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland