Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2021, 03:30 PM

203 posts, read 165,215 times

Advertisements

Will be visiting Portland as a tourist. And basically looking for good places to eat, but also in the neighborhoods where I don’t have to worry about my car being vandalized or being assaulted or yelled at by a homeless person while trying to get a bite. I tried to sort of cross-reference restaurant reviews with crime maps, with little result. Im sure locals would know better. One of the places I’m planning to visit is the Zoo, and looking for such place to eat in that area. Could you please help? Portland has a ton of great restaurants, but I’m afraid to get more than I bargained for not knowing what the deal is on the streets around that great restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 09:03 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
My favorite is the Goose Hollow Inn. Take the MAX east (city direction) one-stop and cross the street. Their parking area is now outdoor seating so unless you leave your car at the zoo parking area you will need to find parking on the street (free for 2 hours but competitive).

The best item on the menu is their Ruben sandwich, take half to go and you have dinner. https://www.goosehollowinn.com/menu

There is a free Washington Park shuttle but the closest it comes to the Goose is the Lewis and Clarke Memorial, next to the Sacajawea statute (or convince the driver to stop at Park Place). Walk down Park Place, hang a dog-leg to Salmon, then turn south on 20th to Jefferson. That is about a 15-minute walk downhill to the Gosse Hollow Inn. The hike back uphill is tough, take the MAX.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:36 AM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
My favorite is the Goose Hollow Inn. Take the MAX east (city direction) one-stop and cross the street. Their parking area is now outdoor seating so unless you leave your car at the zoo parking area you will need to find parking on the street (free for 2 hours but competitive).

The best item on the menu is their Ruben sandwich, take half to go and you have dinner. https://www.goosehollowinn.com/menu

There is a free Washington Park shuttle but the closest it comes to the Goose is the Lewis and Clarke Memorial, next to the Sacajawea statute (or convince the driver to stop at Park Place). Walk down Park Place, hang a dog-leg to Salmon, then turn south on 20th to Jefferson. That is about a 15-minute walk downhill to the Gosse Hollow Inn. The hike back uphill is tough, take the MAX.
There Rueben's are so good. I am looking forward to going to eat out again. But since I'm starting chemo I will probably have to wait a little longer.

Yes taking the MAX is the best way to get there and it isn't too expensive I think it's $250 for adults and hlaf that for kids.
TriMet - Trip Planner, TransitTracker, Service Alerts

Old 07-12-2021, 04:25 PM

Check with your oncologist re eating out. Almost all of the Goose tables are outside and well separated from other customers.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 891,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Check with your oncologist re eating out. Almost all of the Goose tables are outside and well separated from other customers.
Oncologist?

Old 07-13-2021, 10:35 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossa View Post
Will be visiting Portland as a tourist. And basically looking for good places to eat, but also in the neighborhoods where I don’t have to worry about my car being vandalized or being assaulted or yelled at by a homeless person while trying to get a bite. I tried to sort of cross-reference restaurant reviews with crime maps, with little result. Im sure locals would know better. One of the places I’m planning to visit is the Zoo, and looking for such place to eat in that area. Could you please help? Portland has a ton of great restaurants, but I’m afraid to get more than I bargained for not knowing what the deal is on the streets around that great restaurant.
There aren't any restaurants close to the Portland zoo other than the cafes that are within the zoo itself.

You'll either have to drive east into Portland where you have near infinite options. Or drive west into Beaverton which also has hundreds of restaurants. If you are worried about Portland "riff raff" then head over to Beaverton where you are more likely to find off street parking anyway. Yelp can help you find whatever you want. There are also a lot of restaurants along Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway through the Portland West Hills which is just south of the zoo in the Raleigh Hills area. You might find something to your liking down there

Old 07-14-2021, 06:32 AM

469 posts, read 432,450 times
Vista Springs Cafe, on Vista in SW Hills/ Goose Hollow.

Wine and Growl on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy.

Verde Cocina on Canyon Court (although check their status first…they had a fire last summer and may still not be open yet). EDIT: they still look closed.

These are excellent restaurants that keep you out of any potential trouble spots, since that is a priority for you. I’ve enjoyed them all.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:49 PM

Vista Springs Cafe opens after 3 pm. Hours – Vista Spring Cafe

Old 07-16-2021, 04:51 AM

85 posts, read 115,192 times
I'd head to inner eastside. There are dozens of good restaurants. I'd stay out of downtown. Beaverton and SW Portland are ok if you like strip mall dining.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:52 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenjames View Post
I'd head to inner eastside. There are dozens of good restaurants. I'd stay out of downtown. Beaverton and SW Portland are ok if you like strip mall dining.
Well sure, there are lots of good restaurants on the east side. But that isn't anywhere close to the Portland Zoo. And it will be a LONG slog to get over there during evening rush hour after a day at the zoo. SW Portland and Beaverton will be much easier and will have off-street parking when you get there unlike say inner east side restaurants on Hawthorne or Division. Where you will be forced to patrol up and down the nearby residential streets for scarce on-street parking. Which I personally don't mind doing when I'm out with my wife, but maybe not with a hungry crew of kids in tow after a long day at the zoo. But I guess having off-street parking in front of your business makes you a strip mall and therefore taints the food and dining experience

But the Vista Ridge Cafe mentioned above would actually be a good choice and you can get there via back roads if traffic is bad by cutting through Washington Park. They have lots of pizza choices so probably good for kids.

Last edited by texasdiver; 07-16-2021 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland