Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 01:06 PM

10 posts, read 15,435 times

Advertisements

Hi All - So had a quick question in which I've gotten numerous different answers to. I'll first say this isn't a tax scheme, it genuinely is a real ask and my actual situation. I'm relocating to the Portland Metro area FULL-TIME in March 2022 when my new construction home will be completed, however I will be in and out of the area starting from January on for work. I'm trying to take advantage of the year end car "deals" if you want to call them that, as I've heard it's going to get worse next year given the chip shortage. My contract w/ the home builder has an address attached to it with our names on it, but don't currently have a drivers license via the state of Oregon, which is another hassle. Is it possible to purchase and register it in the state of Oregon w/ an out of state drivers license but with the contract in hand to show proof of address? Some states are less strict about this than others, but some of the dealerships have told me they're pretty tight about it given the no sales tax benefit. My other thought is to at least get our Drivers licenses changed to Oregon and that could help. If anyone has any experience around this kind of stuff would love to hear your feedback or ideas. So far I've gotten mixed answers saying no way you gotta wait for the house to be completed and closed to shouldn't be an issue so I'm confused how to proceed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 01:58 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Give it a try. Take your house contract with you and see if that works.

If that isn't enough, get your drivers license changed over.

It's been a long time since I left Oregon and returned and my memory says they wanted to see some sort of official mail with your name and address on it... but I was a returning recident, so I was already in the system.. you are supposed to be able to prove you live in Oregon.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:05 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Find out how long those "year end deals" last. If its a new car, maybe you could negotiate the deal during the sale, but include a later "take delivery" date that's closer to your March move.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:25 PM

2,659 posts, read 3,854,752 times
#1 - There is a sales tax in OR on vehicles so ---- just sayin
#2- Don't overthink this - It is not like the police are going to hunt you down no matter what you do.
#3 - I bought new F150 in August - still waiting for title and it's what December? Dealer told me State had advised local police Depts. statewide to not even bother with checking expired or missing tags as there is such a backlog.
4. If you like the price in OR, just buy the car and register it at the new home.
5. I'm going to assume Dealer will not care where your DL is from one way or the other to make the sale. They will have CYA via the registration address.
6. Other option is to do registration yourself and leave dealer out of it. They offer registration as a service but it is a paid service and no one should forget that.
7. Forget about OR and register in current state. You can still buy the car regardless of residency. I am pretty sure any dealer anywhere in country will be happy to take your $
Good luck

Old 12-03-2021, 02:34 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
There is no sales tax when buying a vehicle. ccjarider is usually a reliable source but he is wrong on that one.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:34 PM

333 posts, read 328,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
There is no sales tax when buying a vehicle. ccjarider is usually a reliable source but he is wrong on that one.
Actually, ccjarider is correct. Since 2018, Oregon levies a .5% tax on all new car sales.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:50 AM

441 posts, read 438,710 times
Would it make a difference if you leased a new vehicle?

We will have to decide in July if we want to turn in our car. Is it possible to turn it in early if you plan on leasing another car from the same dealer?

How bad is the chip shortage?

Old 01-11-2022, 02:29 PM

10 posts, read 15,435 times
The shortage is real bad. You should actually see what the residual is on your car and its current market value. My dad's lease return buyout was 26k and it was selling for 34k so we're going to just sell it. And yes because of this and the shortage many dealers are willing to take early lease returns, in fact they would prefer it.

Btw to all, thank you for your comments. I tried w/ a few dealerships, apparently Oregon is really strict so no can do on the car as far as registering it. Theres a lot more inventory on the east coast and cheaper as well so decided to just buy here. Will drive or ship over here depending on how expensive it is. Also correct there is a sales tax, but it's really really small so negligible. Look forward to enjoying the fruits of that on my next car purchase hopefully when the chip shortage and supply shortage evens out

Old 02-04-2022, 10:15 PM

10 posts, read 9,121 times
“ Also correct there is a sales tax, but it's really really small so negligible. ”
I lived in OR, last car purchase was 2014, no sales tax.
Never heard of the 0.5% tax, when did that start, and is it a state tax, or some kind of city - county local tax?
Curious.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:19 PM

162 posts, read 76,354 times
Even if you live in CA, you could still go to OR and buy a car and pay no sales tax. Or have the fascist left done away with that loophole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland