Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 12:53 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times

Advertisements

Not that facts ever sway anyone, but:

https://www.salon.com/2022/03/16/dem...in-red-states/

I was just in Portland yesterday visiting my son and some friends. The parts of the city they live in (all east side) don't seem too bad. One of the parks that had a lot of homeless when I was there in November had been cleaned up. But the problem just moved elsewhere in the city, no doubt.

Most large cities have drug and homelessness issues. It's a complex problem with no one-size-fits-all solution, but the lack of drug treatment programs and affordable housing doesn't help. I've read some stats that in many cities, 25% of homeless people actually have jobs; they just can't afford rents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 02:02 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Nothing will change until the Portland electorate wakes up and begins voting differently. As long as they put ideology ahead of quality of life and safety, they are going to be on their way to spell Detroit.
Detroit is improving rapidly and is now a bada$$ city with a great downtown, a lot of fixed up neighborhoods, and lots of things to do.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:32 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Detroit is improving rapidly and is now a bada$$ city with a great downtown, a lot of fixed up neighborhoods, and lots of things to do.
Downtown Detroit certainly looks better than downtown Portland.

Though there is no where in Portland that looks even a fraction as bad as any of Detroit's bad areas. Detroit is improving, but it still has a long ways to go.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:08 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Downtown Detroit certainly looks better than downtown Portland.

Though there is no where in Portland that looks even a fraction as bad as any of Detroit's bad areas. Detroit is improving, but it still has a long ways to go.
That is all true.

Downtown Detroit is leaps and bounds ahead of Downtown Portland in terms of things to do and character, but yeah as a city Detroit is still quite run down in many parts.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:07 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
That is all true.

Downtown Detroit is leaps and bounds ahead of Downtown Portland in terms of things to do and character, but yeah as a city Detroit is still quite run down in many parts.
I don't quite agree with the bolded.

The problem with downtown Portland isn't that it lacks any character or amenities, downtown actually has a lot to offer with its tight tree-lined city streets, intersecting of 4 light rail lines, myriad of local businesses, and beautiful public squares. It's the increases in homelessness and crime and the relative lack of foot traffic compared to pre-covid that is the issue.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:00 PM

441 posts, read 439,067 times
Downtown Portland is awful. Filthy, full of homeless people(not blaming them). All buildings are still boarded up. Maybe not someone can correct me as it has been a couple months since going downtown. My husband worked downtown and I would go down to have lunch and usually go to the library. Luckily he now he can still work from home.

I have noticed a couple places where homeless camps have been removed. On the right just after exiting the Vista Ridge tunnel and across from Emanuel Hospital. They put up some jersey barriers.

Old 07-31-2022, 04:52 PM

483 posts, read 243,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
I think the moderation of local West Coast politics is already underway, even in Portland. While Republicans are still a third rail, moderate Democrats have been making strong inroads up and down the West Coast. In Seattle, the new mayor, Bruce Harrell, destroyed a much more progressive candidate in the mayoral election. He campaigned on law and order, supporting the police and cleaning up the city. In LA , a former Republican that just switched parties placed in the top two in the primary, and stands a good chance in the general. The mayor of SF is far less progressive than her predecessors. Even here in Portland, the progressives on city council are getting replaced one by one, and the mayor (who is not particularly liberal by Portland standards) defeated his far more progressive opponent in 2020. People seem to be increasingly voting on quality of life issues as the streets have become truly scary in areas that were fun and safe 15 years ago.
Let's go!!

Old 08-26-2022, 02:16 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
“New polling research commissioned by the City of Portland and obtained by FOX 12 reveals that most Portland residents fear going downtown.” “Another shocking conclusion shows that most Portlanders are scared to walk in their own neighborhoods, day or night.”

The whole story: https://www.kptv.com/2022/08/25/poll...neighborhoods/

Old 08-28-2022, 09:40 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,521 times
Yes, Portland has a lot of questionable public behavior. Overdose rates are much higher in red states like West Virginia, Tennessee, Missouri and Kentucky.
While Portland has terrible optics, the "back alley" drug behavior of cities in these states is probably much worse.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:35 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Not that facts ever sway anyone, but:

https://www.salon.com/2022/03/16/dem...in-red-states/

I was just in Portland yesterday visiting my son and some friends. The parts of the city they live in (all east side) don't seem too bad. One of the parks that had a lot of homeless when I was there in November had been cleaned up. But the problem just moved elsewhere in the city, no doubt.

Most large cities have drug and homelessness issues. It's a complex problem with no one-size-fits-all solution, but the lack of drug treatment programs and affordable housing doesn't help. I've read some stats that in many cities, 25% of homeless people actually have jobs; they just can't afford rents.

The title of your linked article is Republicans blame Democrats for crime — but new data shows higher murder rates in red states

I like facts. The fact is, that crime is in Democrat controlled cities in red states.

They mention 4 states right off, Louisiana, Alabama, Kentucky and Missouri.

City Data's own facts show the following for the largest city in each state, as an example.

Crime, national average = 270.

New Orleans LA = 686 crime, 83% for Biden

Birmingham AL = 876 crime, 56% for Biden

Lexington KY = cannot find crime data on C-D but it is high, 60% for Biden

Kansas City Mo = 615 crime, 60% for Biden

This is off topic to Portland so we don't want to go down the rabbit hole, but I just thought I would add some facts.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 08-29-2022 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland