Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 17,172 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am prospecting for a job in Lake Oswego and I was wondering how much my wife and I should make if we want to live a decent area, in a 4-bedroom house? Should I budget for private schools or the public schools are OK?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 09:34 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,283 times
The public schools in Lake O are fine. Actually, that entire area is good--Sherwood, Tigard-Tualatin, Wilsonville, West Linn.

Do you have to live in Lake Oswego? Any of the above communities would suffice, I would think since they are all upscale and support a mostly white-collar population that is affluent and educated. They're all above decent, way above decent! The best demographics in the state.

I would figure a minimum of $400K for a home. Since I'm a bachelor, I have no idea how much money you need for a family of four. The biggest expense will be housing, of course. Gas is $4/gallon and increasing each day like everywhere else. Food is also going up. Most of the grocery stores in the area are upscale as you can imagine so don't bet on shopping for groceries at places like Wal-Mart.

I hope I've been of some help.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:03 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,685,101 times
Check out my thread on West Linn and Lake Oswego below if you haven't already. We were just there and drove thru all the surrounding neighborhoods. Your main cost will be housing. For a great overview of the current market look at milancole's website. He is a realtor on these boards who has a cool map based MLS search of properties. It doesn't get any easier than that to see prices for prospective neighborhoods.

Although West Linn and Lake Oswego are some of the most highly sought after locations you can still find some decent deals if you look. For example in WL I found some decent listing in the mid $300Ks there which you will pay in other areas as well.

We are a family of 5 looking for the same thing - great location for families in a scenic/fun area of Portland.

- Derek

Old 05-30-2008, 01:58 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,466 times
Mid $300s in West Linn? For 4 BR? I think the $400K is low for 4 BR. Guess it depends on if you want 4 BR within 1700 sqft or not. As Bobmulk said, several nearby areas all have "good" areas, although Tigard/Tualatin would have more "less good" areas than the others listen. If you are really looking at LO you ought to consider upwards of $500K. That way if you do find anything below that amount, it will be a pleasant surprise--these areas are the spendiest houses in the Portland burbs.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:28 PM

Actually I didn't notice the 4 BR in the initial post. But out of curiousity I just did a quick MLS search and came up with 11 4 BRs in West Linn and 4 in LO under $375K. Now of course some of these may be fixer uppers. But in the current softened market there are some deals out there. There is a decent one in LO listed for $359K - mls#8050583. And check out this WL 4BR home which is an even better deal - mls# 7105911.

As another good option check out the Tualatin area especially east of the 5 right along the Tualatin river. That is a really nice area and one of our top choices after visiting many neighborhoods.

Lastly if you are willing to downsize slightly there are many more 3 BRs. Although we have a 4 BR here in CO we might be willing to go a little smaller for one of the better locations like WL & LO. Then you can always upgrade/expand with a great ROI.

- Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-30-2008 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-31-2008, 01:38 AM

216 posts, read 909,809 times
Keep in mind, there usually is a reason when the price is lower than expected. The WL mls# you posted is near me and it is facing a busy road. Just something to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Actually I didn't notice the 4 BR in the initial post. But out of curiousity I just did a quick MLS search and came up with 11 4 BRs in West Linn and 4 in LO under $375K. Now of course some of these may be fixer uppers. But in the current softened market there are some deals out there. There is a decent one in LO listed for $359K - mls#8050583. And check out this WL 4BR home which is an even better deal - mls# 7105911.

As another good option check out the Tualatin area especially east of the 5 right along the Tualatin river. That is a really nice area and one of our top choices after visiting many neighborhoods.

Lastly if you are willing to downsize slightly there are many more 3 BRs. Although we have a 4 BR here in CO we might be willing to go a little smaller for one of the better locations like WL & LO. Then you can always upgrade/expand with a great ROI.

- Derek

Old 05-31-2008, 09:45 PM

7 posts, read 34,469 times
I've actually been in that house on the busy road, haha. We almost bought it. It does have a lovely creek running through the backyard and some other nice features. It also has great access to some nearby shopping and is close to Mary S Young. It has been on the market for a very long time though.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:21 PM

Yes, I bet it shows pretty well. The pictures look really nice. For a family like ours with children a home on a busy street is simply a no go.

As I have mentioned while there are some deals there may be some fixing up involved, etc... I think we would be willing to buy in a nice area like LO or WL and get a little smaller house or one which may require 'some' work. Of course I don't want to have to do a 'complete' remodel.

And obviously homes which are already in great shape with more modern features on a nice quiet street will command a higher value. If one doesn't want to compromise some of these things then moving further out is always an option.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,220 times
Well no one has addressed the question. I think that if you want to live in a 4 bedroom house in a decent neighborhood in Lake Oswego you would need to earn at least 100-120K a year unless you have a good chuck of equity from the sale of a previous house. For a good size 4 BR home built in the late 80's and early 90's in a good area you will be paying between 375K to 475K. The public schools in the area are good so there is no NEED for a private school, However, some send their children to private schools. I hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland