Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:39 PM

8 posts, read 62,934 times

Advertisements

I lived in Salem my whole life until recently moving to Phonenix several years ago for college. What I can say is that the weather in Portland and The Willamette Valley( Salem, Corvallis, Eugene, etc) is not "brutal." Other than the occasional snow or ice storm, the weather truly isnt severe. However, atleast 7+ months of the year are extremely overcast and it does rain a lot. And even if its not raining everyday during those 7 months, everything tends to stay damp because its too cold for anything to really evaporate. So the really "bad" weather tends to get to people in January and February where it is not uncommon for it to rain everyday of the month and for overcast clouds to linger here forever. A lot of times you will have fog that just kind of lasts all day too, which makes the already short winter daylight seem even darker. These are the months where people like me and others who suffer from SAD really have a difficult time feeling happy and energized.

And although some locals will tell you, "It's really only 7 months where its gloomy" that really isnt too accurate. The beginning and ending months of our summer( June and October) have fairly tempermental weather. We are experiencing a really bad June that has been quite cold and wet--It's finally sunny today. The only months where you can almost guarantee having good weather are July, August, and September.

But, like others have said, pretty much every place you go has its pros and cons with weather. Phoenix weather is great but the summers are obviously very HOT! But Id rather live with 3 months of very hot weather and then the rest of the year being perfect weather than live with 7-9 months of rain and overcast. But that's just me. Just be cautious when you do talk with some locals though. It is true that some will try to downplay how wet and overcast it really is. Those that have lived here their whole life know nothing different so they don't think its that bad at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 07:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
does this sum it up?

Light is nourishment to the body. It is essential that we receive light into our bodies everyday. But instead, we have become a sociey of staying indoors most of the time, particularly when we live in northern climates. This blocks some portion of the full spectrum of light which starves a part of our body. Light enters our body primarily through the eyes (about 90%), and also via the skin. Light stimulates and supports the important endocrine system as well as the immune system and organs of the body. The visible spectrum as well as infrared and ultraviolet light are essential for the complete health of the body. It has been shown that 2 hours of indirect sunlight everyday create healthier bodies and emotional wellbeing.
You knew your post would create a divide. I agree with what you say and studies side with you. Heck, they have the very term "a sunny disposition."

Those who like the area will balk, though. (It seems this whole Portland forum is about division and disagreement...the west side of the river clean-cut crowd who just might vote Republican and the inner south-east frumps).

The reality is that more people suffer from S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder) and that a MUCH smaller number suffers from R.S.A.D. (reverse seasaonal affective disoder).

Old 06-22-2008, 10:52 PM

19 posts, read 55,738 times
The Hunch Back of Notre Dame represents an affliction common in Britain where there is a severe lack of sunshine. Make your bed and lie in it, it's your choice, do what you like.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:54 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
British people are commonly hunchbacks due to an affliction caused by a severe lack of sunshine? I had no idea. Does that mean Portland has more hunchbacks as well? What about the people in Salem, Albany, Corvallis, Eugene-Springfield, Cottage Grove, Roseburg, etc.? Are there more hunchbacks living there too? I'll have to start paying more attention from now on.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 AM

106 posts, read 392,918 times
Personally, I love the weather in Portland.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadgbd View Post
The Hunch Back of Notre Dame represents an affliction common in Britain where there is a severe lack of sunshine. Make your bed and lie in it, it's your choice, do what you like.
When did they move Notre Dame? I thought it was in France.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:08 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
If you are looking for a place with a low vibrational energy that you can really learn to like, then come to Portland. If you do the math, it's pretty easy:

lack of sunlight 9 months out of the year=low vibrational energy

I did not read most of this thread, but let me say this....I sometimes joke that my mother had an affair with a vampire the night I was conceived. It is sunny outside in Jersey right now and guess what? As always, when it's a sunny day, I am reluctant to leave the house and would rather stay here with the AC on high and my black curtains covering the windows.

I ABSOLUTELY CAN'T STAND SUNNY DAYS! It hurts my eyes, and I feel my skin slowly being destroyed. Know what a suntan is? It's your body putting up it's puny defenses as those deadly cosmic rays come hurdling across the cold dead vaccum of space to burn you to a crisp. The Sun? about a hundred thousand hydrogen bombs going off at the same time.

Sunlight steals my energy and makes me want to stay indoors...cloudy days? Now that's what I love

The sky isn't grey, it's silver, platinum, marble, slate and mercury. When I see an overcast sky, I want to run around and smile. It looks misty and magickal, like the sky it's self is dancing to the tune of the Gods.

Nine months a year of cloudy skies? Sounds like one more reason to move to Portland to me.

For everyone one person who can't stand cloudy skies, there is one who absolutely loves them.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:24 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
When did they move Notre Dame? I thought it was in France.
Shows ya how much attention u pd in skool

Old 06-25-2008, 04:16 PM

178 posts, read 584,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I did not read most of this thread, but let me say this....I sometimes joke that my mother had an affair with a vampire the night I was conceived. It is sunny outside in Jersey right now and guess what? As always, when it's a sunny day, I am reluctant to leave the house and would rather stay here with the AC on high and my black curtains covering the windows.

I ABSOLUTELY CAN'T STAND SUNNY DAYS! It hurts my eyes, and I feel my skin slowly being destroyed. Know what a suntan is? It's your body putting up it's puny defenses as those deadly cosmic rays come hurdling across the cold dead vaccum of space to burn you to a crisp. The Sun? about a hundred thousand hydrogen bombs going off at the same time.

Sunlight steals my energy and makes me want to stay indoors...cloudy days? Now that's what I love

The sky isn't grey, it's silver, platinum, marble, slate and mercury. When I see an overcast sky, I want to run around and smile. It looks misty and magickal, like the sky it's self is dancing to the tune of the Gods.

Nine months a year of cloudy skies? Sounds like one more reason to move to Portland to me.

For everyone one person who can't stand cloudy skies, there is one who absolutely loves them.

Wow Victorianpunk, you really need to be living in the Pacific Northwest or Canada! Perhaps it's because I'm of half Irish descent but I'll take a coolish, overcast day over blasting heat any day. Just be sure to take your cod liver oil (or other source of Vitamin D) to prevent any health issues if you are as heliophobic as you sound from your post.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Victorian, I am so with you. I have always had an aversion to the sun and now later in life I have been diagnosed as having Sarcoidosis which could very well be the cause of this. Vitamin D can be poision for some people who have this illness. With all the Vitamin D hype we hear about nowadays it's difficult to get people to believe this but it is a fact.

Anyway, I have always thought the debate about weather is silly. It's like arguing which color is better; red or blue. In other words it's a very subjective thing. Situations like jobs, the cost of living, livability etc are far more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland