Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 04:58 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times

Advertisements

hello i live in indiana and was watching a episode of COPS and they were featuring Portland and they were talking about how pedestrian friendly Portland was. I was wondering is that true? they were talking about bicycle only lanes and special traffic signals to help pedestrians get across the street and everything. I live in the Indianapolis area and am kind of a bit jealous Indy is bigger than Portland by almost 250,000 but it seems like you guys are 250,000 more pedestrian friendly! here it is every man for himself. the episode was from 2004
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 05:31 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
Pretty much accurate. The first time I came here to visit, I had cars stopping as I waited at a curb, and almost getting mad at me for not crossing in front of them. Took me a while to figure that out.

I think part of this courtesy comes from the weather. It's often drizzling, and who wants to be out walking in that? And so...common courtesy.

In general, it really is a nice thing. HOWEVER...it does create the bad habit of pedestrians always assuming cars will yield to them. This especially is a problem when you travel elsewhere where yielding doesn't happen; you find yourself flinging your body out of the way. I guess in theory, cars are supposed to yield to pedestrians, but from a practical standpoint, it's much easier for someone on foot to stop walking than it is to brake a vehicle's forward momentum.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,699 times
Hi, I believe Portland was recently voted the most pedestrian-friendly city in the country although I'm no sure which publication named it as such. It was also recently voted the most bicycle friendly with something like 3 percent of the workforce commuting by bike every day. It's also a very walkable city thanks to its small-size blocks and amazingly courteous drivers (It was also voted as having the most courteous drivers, with Miami and New York having the rudest). By the way, for a cool site to determine how walkable any neighborhood is check out walkscore.com. Just enter any address in the country and it'll give you a rating of 0 to 100. My downtown Portland neighborhood came in with a 98!

Last edited by epk6434; 06-09-2008 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland