Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 05:19 PM

7 posts, read 23,855 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I posted this in the Seattle thread, and would like to get a little info about Portland as well.

I'm a law student in Boston via Texas, graduating in December. I'm at a respectable, not uber prestigious school (here's looking at you Harvard), top half of my class...in short, just your average law student.

So based on my research thus far, I have a few questions that hopefully yall can help me out with.

-IP seems to be a big practice area, but I'm interested in corporate, securities, M&A, etc....is there a legit market in Portland for those practice areas, or should I stick to the east coast?
-I've heard Portland firms are very insular to those not from the area and it can be tough to get past that...thoughts?
-Big firms vs. boutiques vs. general counsel?

And finally any thoughts/information/advice yall can give on breaking into the legal market in the area will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:20 PM

91 posts, read 428,546 times
This is also an interest of mine. My girlfriend is in her last year of law school and is currently working as a law clerk. We've started that whole process of deciding where she ought to take the bar. I work in IT and multimedia and have already seen a few jobs at OHSU and elsewhere that seem up my alley. We have been heavily considering Portland as a place to relocate as we have been on the east coast in the DC/MD/PA area our whole lives. Right now we are both about 30 years old, we like cities and definitely appreciate public transit. We like to go out to see live music and visit bars/brewpubs but we aren't quite the party types we were in our younger days. Our main goal is to find someplace where we can make a good living vs. the cost of housing/rental and have really been looking toward the Pacific Northwest and Portland in particular.

We wouldn't be moving for just over a year so I've been doing the research and window shopping. I'm sure you'll see me pop up later on asking about neighborhoods as the time gets closer. We plan to visit a few times between now and then but one of our main questions is regarding the legal market. Since she stands to be a little more lucrative than me in the near future, I've put a priority on her job prospects. Any input regarding the legal market would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jerry

Old 06-25-2008, 08:26 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,028 times
In my experience, Portland is a tough market to crack for an attorney. It is not a hotbed of legal employment to begin with. Portland does not boast the large (300+ lawyers) national firms that you see in cities like DC, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, and Los Angeles. Even Seattle, a larger legal market than Portland, does not really compare with these other similar-sized cities in terms of legal opportunities. The other thing I think you will find is that the PNW has plenty of east coast lawyers with impressive Ivy-type credentials who move out there seeking a slower and better pace of life. Look at the attorney bios for many of the firms in Portland and you will see an inordinate amount of Harvard/Yale types who might have toiled at a big NYC firm for several years before making their move.

In short, a lot of lawyers want to live out there and there are not sufficient attorney jobs to accomodate them. I think it is for this reason that the Oregon bar takes a strict view of attorneys seeking to be licensed in Oregon. Presently, only attorneys licensed in Washington, Utah, or Idaho may "waive" into the Oregon bar. Everyone else has to take and pass the exam. It protects the locals.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 AM

91 posts, read 428,546 times
Ah, that makes sense. Still, she is fairly open as to what kind of legal job she would be interested in. I think we're just gauging job availability in all of the cities we are interested in moving to and Portland seems like a very good fit for us and the kind of lifestyle we are looking for. Either way, jobs come first and we wouldn't plan on moving anywhere without having them lined up.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
After I graduated paralegal school four years ago, I found some of my competition for jobs was recently graduated attorneys. There is a gult of lawyers on the market and apparently many new grads are willing to accept law clerk and paralegal positons in lieu of attorney jobs.
The best idea would be for you to check out various laws firms to see if they have any openings and would be willing to hire someone from out-of-state.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:19 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,509 times
It's ugly. Minervah is correct in that many new law school grads take jobs as paralegals. Certainly don't move here from out of state without a job lined up. In general, the job market in Portland is really awful. I can't say for certain, but I'm guessing Seattle is a better bet. Get in there and if you still really want to come to Portland, then you can transfer. But, by all means try. When there's a will, there oftentimes is a way. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland