Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 07:57 PM
(*) (*) started this thread

57 posts, read 77,734 times

Advertisements

My wife and I had a security system installed at our last house. It helped us to feel a bit safer when we traveled and the house was empty for days/weeks at a time. We're thinking about getting one again so I asked some of our friends but none of them use a system, so they couldn't recommend a company. Our old system was installed by Brinks, who later got bought out by ADT; they've been fine but I have no idea how well (or not well) they work out here. Any thoughts about security companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 09:15 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,545,034 times
People seem to like FrontPoint because you can control it remotely from your phone.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:57 PM

535 posts, read 968,091 times
I've had ADT,formally Brinks as you stated, since the 80's. Works for me, but my needs are simple.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:53 AM

Thanks folks.

turquoise1, I like the sound of remote control; that reminds me of Canary (canary.is), a new security device featured recently on Fast Company.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:39 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,545,034 times
I'd like to know more about Canary, I think I will check it out.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Canary sounds cool, like a hyper-advanced baby monitor. The only obvious drawback is that it's going to work in just one room. Half your house could burn down before the thing registered enough change to alert you. Ideally you'd need a network of these, one in every room. But with an army of these we're talking Security By Dalek, and that doesn't sound very comforting.

Also, the side of me that's gotten all paranoid after the Snowden revelations imagines Canary's cameras, microphones, and other sensors being turned on remotely by some Nosey Snooping Asshat and to record me doing dangerous stuff like making dinner and drinking a beer.

I'm thinking a Canary by the front and back door might be helpful, making a record of anyone approaching, but a good ol' fashioned hard wired security company might be a secure but less intrusive option.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:56 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,455,111 times
I had Brinks/ADT for years but switched to FrontPoint about a year ago. My reason for switching was because I wanted to cancel my home phone as the only thing I was using it for was the security system, talking to my mother and giving out a number to people who needed it I didn't actually want to talk to (dentist, doctor, etc) and Brinks/ADT didn't have an option that didn't require a land line.

The nice thing about FrontPoint is it's wireless and was easy to install myself. I no longer have to worry that someone cutting the phone line will disable my system. It's portable so I can have it near the door during the day and move it to my bedroom at night. If I move, I can take it with me and install it at my new home. They also respond promptly if the smoke detector goes off, which I don't remember Brinks ever doing (not that I set it off that regularly, mind you!). The monthly fee is the same as I was paying before, but I did sign a 3 year contract. The only thing I wish I could change about it is it doesn't count down how long you have to get out of the house once you enable or how long you have to disable it when you come back home. I haven't tried to remotely control it from my phone so I can't speak to that.

ETA: FrontPoint is also like Brinks in that you have a master code and can have guest codes so if you have someone house sitting for you, you can give them their own code.

Last edited by NWGirl74; 09-23-2013 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Add'l Info

Old 10-01-2013, 02:49 PM

Thanks NWGirl74! I'll check out FrontPoint.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:09 AM

9 posts, read 12,191 times
Do not forget to use an IR illuminator with your new installation . This helps you get a better picture quality and get high security. The best place to get an IR illuminator with lifetime warranty and advance replacement is Axton. They synchronize with any CCTV cameras. I got it from Axton 2 years back. It still works with good picture quality. They provide different types of IR illuminator . They are very cost efficient.

axtontech.com

Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,216,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amillen Blake View Post
Do not forget to use an IR illuminator with your new installation . This helps you get a better picture quality and get high security. The best place to get an IR illuminator with lifetime warranty and advance replacement is Axton. They synchronize with any CCTV cameras. I got it from Axton 2 years back. It still works with good picture quality. They provide different types of IR illuminator . They are very cost efficient.

axtontech.com
Do they offer battery back up if the ac mains is disconnected? No power, no cctv. Cellular backup in case phone line fails/cut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland