U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 10:14 PM

165 posts, read 962,022 times

Advertisements

What are the differences in these areas? Much difference in weather? Intelligence of residents? Growing families vs. retirees? Do they both have a decent grocery store (I imagine Whole Foods is too much to ask for?)?

It looks like the drive to Portland from Scappoose is better, most driving time spent on 30, whereas coming from McMinnville you have to be on 5 for a while? I'll have to go into Portland occasionally, to the airport. Also, if my telecommuting job were to end, my best bet for a job would be one of the Vancouver hospitals - is the traffic between Vancouver and north of Vancouver bad?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 11:37 PM

10,665 posts, read 18,052,416 times
McMinnville is a lovely old stable community anchored by a private college BUT is would be a drive to Portland and traveling to Vancouver from there would not be a smart move. I-5 is congested through Portland and for several miles north of the interstate bridge.

Scappoose would be a better location and if you want to go to the airport or Vancouver cross the St. Johns bridge. From there it is easy to get on Marine Drive (to Vancouver) or Columbia Blvd (airport).

Were I you I would rent month-to-month until your employment situation settles out. If you work in Vancouver live in Vancouver. You won't have OR income tax or commute costs. Eventually the I-5 interstate bridge will be replaced (maybe I will live that long), during that period commuting to Vancouver will be difficult.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 AM

472 posts, read 1,606,734 times
What are the differences in these areas?

McMinnville is part of the "wine country" area, it's a tourist destination, and has more restaurants. Scappoose/Warren/St.Helens is more rural, and the recreation is more of a hiking/biking/hunting/fishing sort. The Columbia River is fantastic if you are into boating.

Much difference in weather?

McMinnville is definitely warmer. Yamhill county as a whole is warmer than Columbia County, that's why red wine grapes flourish there. Columbia County is all about farm and forest.

Intelligence of residents?

Intelligence varies on the curve like anywhere else. But if you are really talking about education, or "sophistication," or "cultural literacy" that's another matter. Neither place is full of Stanford and MIT types, if that's what you mean. There are two small colleges in Yamhill County, but none in Columbia County. Most people are high school graduates. I think the proportion of college grads is about 15% in both places.

Growing families vs. retirees?

Just about the same. Portland continues to draw people in, old and young.

Do they both have a decent grocery store (I imagine Whole Foods is too much to ask for?)?

Fred Meyer is the best, IMO, and has a lot of organic food. It's much cheaper than Whole Paycheck, as we call it here.

It looks like the drive to Portland from Scappoose is better, most driving time spent on 30, whereas coming from McMinnville you have to be on 5 for a while?

Yes, getting into Portland is very easy from Columbia County. Getting into Vancouver is a real pain. You either go through Longview or into the city. McMinnville is a really brutal commute with a LOT of traffic up into Portland or out to Hillsboro, IMO.

I'll have to go into Portland occasionally, to the airport. Also, if my telecommuting job were to end, my best bet for a job would be one of the Vancouver hospitals - is the traffic between Vancouver and north of Vancouver bad?

Then why not live in Vancouver or near there? They don't have an income tax, I believe, and there are some nice areas. Getting to the airport from either McMinnville or Scappoose is a fairly long trip, even if traffic is light. Getting from Vancouver to the airport should be easier, theoretically, but get an accident on or near the bridge, and you can be backed up for hours.

Another possibility you might consider is Forest Grove. It's warmer than Columbia County, has some "wine country," and the Max line is in Hillsboro, which goes out to the airport, so you can avoid the drive. There are also some good hospitals in the area, and quite a bit of high tech. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland