Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 11:07 PM

23 posts, read 57,295 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My husband and I are looking to get away on a little summer road trip with our children (2 doggies) and I'm a little stuck on Portland. We are coming up from the redlands area of socal (can't wait to leave here) and plan to stop in Ukiah, CA because my sis lives up there.

So all I want to know is, what are some things we can do with our "children?" We have a 95 lb. Saint Bernard and 45 lb. Shepherd/ Shar Pei mix puppy and they love road trips as well We're basically just looking to be outdoors (don't mind the weather, we love cold, gloom, and rain - again, can't wait to get out of socal) and experience the city of Portland a little.

I hope you guys can help me, and by all the "anti-socal" threads up here I hope we will be welcome! I've read through these threads but don't consider ourselves typical socal-ians so I feel we will love Portland.

Thanks

-april
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,056 times
you can do lots of outdoor activities...Oregon is pretty "fur friend friendly" just remember to scoop your poop and you'll be fine. Dogs are allowed most places, and if they are craving some social interaction of their own kind, theres many dogparks scattered about the state. For the most part, if its outside, and you can go, your furkids can go too. Just please make sure they are well behaved,controlled and you have a leash handy. One of my kids is quite easily frightened by strange dogs and it always sets the poor kid off when some strange dog comes tearing up to her, all eager to make a friend, but all she sees is a lunging animal w/teeth coming for her. So for everyones comfort and your pups safety, keep em by ya. But hey, long lonely stretches of beach a dogs dream come true.
Tiffany
oh yea, theres also eateries that will let your dogs stay outside dining w/you. Often bringing them a water bowl too....just check about.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:18 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudnine88 View Post
So all I want to know is, what are some things we can do with our "children?" We have a 95 lb. Saint Bernard and 45 lb. Shepherd/ Shar Pei mix puppy and they love road trips as well We're basically just looking to be outdoors (don't mind the weather, we love cold, gloom, and rain - again, can't wait to get out of socal) and experience the city of Portland a little.

I hope you guys can help me, and by all the "anti-socal" threads up here I hope we will be welcome! I've read through these threads but don't consider ourselves typical socal-ians so I feel we will love Portland.

Thanks

-april
Other than seconding (sp???) the previous post, there's not much else to add.

There've been dog poisonings in off-leash dog parks here, so please keep your pets leashed for their safety. The Willamette River is not a place I would let a dog swim...too dirty. As said, the beaches (check for off-leash areas) are a dog's dream. Other than dog parks, I don't know where you can go and take your pups.

Attitudes - You have absolutely nothing to worry about because of the silly (imo), anti-socal threads. It's just the nature of people to complain. Same on other states' forums. I've been in Oregon over 20 years, and I've never heard anybody whine about out-of-staters. Maybe it's because my family and social circle doesn't include snivelers... Remember, these forums are populated by a very few people - some of whom like to stir the pot and get people all riled up.

Try checking into Oaks Park - it's an amusement park, and there are many walking paths it the area. There's also a huge dog park and it's very pretty, right on the Willamette River. Plenty of eateries close by, and it's a lovely drive up Highway 43. www.oakspark.com.

Welcome, and enjoy your visit!

Old 07-12-2008, 08:17 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Try this website for resources. It lists the dogparks, dog-friendly restaurants, dog-friendly lodging, and other resources.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
you can do lots of outdoor activities...Oregon is pretty "fur friend friendly" just remember to scoop your poop and you'll be fine. Dogs are allowed most places, and if they are craving some social interaction of their own kind, theres many dogparks scattered about the state. For the most part, if its outside, and you can go, your furkids can go too. Just please make sure they are well behaved,controlled and you have a leash handy. One of my kids is quite easily frightened by strange dogs and it always sets the poor kid off when some strange dog comes tearing up to her, all eager to make a friend, but all she sees is a lunging animal w/teeth coming for her. So for everyones comfort and your pups safety, keep em by ya. But hey, long lonely stretches of beach a dogs dream come true.
Tiffany
oh yea, theres also eateries that will let your dogs stay outside dining w/you. Often bringing them a water bowl too....just check about.
Wow! Awesome that sounds great! So many more options than I could ever find our here in Southern Cali. I would say our dogs are very well behaved. Our 2 year old St. Bernard can be vocal, but loves to play and listens VERY well so she usually does good. And our new pup is a very quick learner and not vocal at all (which is a relief for us! haha). I'm looking forward to finding eateries that they can sit with us at too! Thank you very much!

OH - and we typically ALWAYS keep our dogs on leashes. No matter how good they are, you never know what'll happen!

SeeBee - Thank you again! We're thinking our new pup will like the beach (but our saint wasn't too happy about it when we took her hehe). And i'm glad to hear that input about the whole oregon-cali hating thing. I agree with you about these forums and that yeah, regardless there will always be the handful that want to stir up trouble. Thanks for the website!

EnricoV Perfect! Just what I need, thank you very much!!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 PM

10 posts, read 49,751 times
Wow, have fun! Portland is a lovely city!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:23 PM

I'm sure we will. I'm REALLY excited about (GETTING OUT OF HERE!!!) hahha. Thank you!

Old 07-13-2008, 02:25 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
Hi, cloudnine...

Try looking into this. I got the flyer adverstising the site in the mail yesterday. Might be worth a look. It lists tons of things to do -www.MtHoodTerritory.com

Old 07-14-2008, 12:53 AM

^great! I will take a look thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: