U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:57 AM

9,965 posts, read 16,352,840 times

Advertisements

Portland is overrun with gangs..We have gang members associated with the Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings, the Warriors, and Newsies...

Actually as another poster pointed out, our biggest gangs in inner Portland neighborhoods these days are probably the biker gangs..And by biker gangs I mean either the spandex warriors on their sooped up road bicycles or the wannabe bike messenger hipster types on their fixies (fixed gear). Watch out for these types--they are not to be trifled with, especially if you happen to be an SUV driver from the suburbs or pedestrian walking through their "turf"(bike paths).

The further east neighborhoods of outer SE Portland and Gresham might be another story in regards to gangs..although I haven't had a reason to go there in years, so I have no idea what actually goes in that area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:45 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,427,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The further east neighborhoods of outer SE Portland and Gresham might be another story in regards to gangs..although I haven't had a reason to go there in years, so I have no idea what actually goes in that area.
It's like a whole other world out that way... One that most people never venture into or out of.

When people move to Portland they usually don't move there so... Gangs are a growing problem, but still pretty much not a big issue.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:03 PM

10,937 posts, read 19,127,371 times
Lewis & Clark campus is located closer to Lake Oswego, Burlingame neighborhood. Forest Heights is about Cornell Road and Skyline (NW Portland west of the crest of the hill)... not particularly convenient to L & C campus.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:16 AM

75 posts, read 231,800 times
gotcha.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 AM

109 posts, read 301,965 times
I think if you go looking for gangs or trouble, you'll find it. If you move to Portland (or anywhere, really) and mind your own business and don't hang out with drug dealers and gang bangers, you'll be fine. Seriously, it sounds like you are seeking out where to run into gang members than how to avoid them. I mean, I could have sat next to a gang member on the MAX this morning for all I know, and (gasp) I even have a red shirt on right now. But I'm not trying to sell drugs to anybody, nor am I hassling people in an alley, whatever. Hence it doesn't matter what color shirt I wear. Now there are definately areas where I wouldn't hang out after dark by myself under the guise of "minding my own business," because yes, there are dangerous areas in Portland. But you aren't going to get targeted by a gang member if you are Joe Blow wearing a red/blue/pink/cerulean tee shirt.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:45 PM

118 posts, read 402,435 times
Gangs are a problem all over the metro area. In the last few years, the only area that I have not seen or heard about any gang problems was SW Portland. Everywhere else, N, NE, SE, Downtown, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Oregon City, Gresham, Vancouver...growing gang problems!

It's true that it might not be as bad as other parts of the country, but it is all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 10,541 times
I keep reading about SE Portland. My Husband and I are moving here: SE Naegeli Drive. Now I am scared that this is a really bad area. Guess we will be looking somewhere else.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:01 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,688,571 times
SE Naegeli is near Powell Butte. Not a bad area at all, as far as I know.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 PM

64,618 posts, read 54,701,077 times
Has anyone heard of the Hoover Criminals? I heard about them on the History Channel on a show called Gangland. They are in Portland.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:06 PM

206 posts, read 240,123 times
The Hoover criminals are mostly children.

I find that most real gang activity in Portland revolves around prostitution. Slanging drugs on the street is apparently rough when no one leaves their homes for 9 months out of the year. Strip clubs and hookers are a major source of entertainment for people here. This blind eye turned towards pimping provides a niche for Portland gangs that works fairly well. Why shoot people when there is money to be made off of middle aged white guys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>