Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:34 PM

908 posts, read 1,652,457 times

Advertisements

i am looking for a good church in the portland metro area. Like many people here, i have lived in the area most of my life, but was not raised in any particular church (in fact, none for me).
i have attended a baptist-affiliated one, and a catholic one, which were convenient. but, i need one that really takes care of its community. one that does not condone sins but loves the sinner, and the community is helpful and spiritual to get people out of their fallen-ness and consequences.
so i am looking for pro-active, loving, large christian community that interacts wth others of faith as well. not judgemental, but recognizes needs and fully supportive of the spiritual progress and also material needs of its members. that helps its members thrive wholistically. is this too much to ask?
i hope not.
please, post everything you can about good christian communities of faith in the portland area.
Please tell the strengths of each church you know of. For instance, do they have good groups for prayer, music, arts, charitable works, local help for their own poor, family crisis supports, health and nutrition awareness, intellectual strengths, social issues proactivity, community concerns, etc.
thank you!
God Bless us everyone! --(tiny tim)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 04:31 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,870,815 times
Maybe its me, but I think you are going about this entirely the wrong way. It's not your fault, its the whole nature of church. We are the sheep and all that. Actually you have more power than you know. Church is about you, lets paraphrase Kennedy: "ask not what your church can do for you, ask what you can do for your (chosen) church. And, IMO that choice needs to be practical as well as spiritual. If you live in Gresham I do not think it would be the most practical decision to look for a church in Hillsboro regardless of its credentials. All that said, I am going to send you to a church in Beaverton that I have never been to, yet. I met the pastor on a group bike ride (yes, bike ride) and only heard by the by that he was a minister. I found the church website and a number of his sermons are archived there. PM me and I'll give you the link and the address, etc. I've been around churches all my life and to be very honest with you I don't have any chrisitian beliefs, I am a musician and I happen to like church music because I heard so much of it growing up. Churches do great things when enough like minded people get together in one to effect changes around them. You (IMO) don't want a struggling little renegade band of believers off doing thier own thing in a basement somewhere. Find something established and thriving and call it good. The Word is in you, it is Common Sense. Have at it.

H

Old 08-11-2008, 03:50 PM

908 posts, read 1,652,457 times
that's strange, funny, and kind of helpful. yeah, i realize that we have to be contributors but, ummm, i think it would be hard to be THE one who is making it all happen if others aren't into stuff already. So, like an embryo needing to implant itself, i suppose i must wander the uterine dimensions of the Mother, the Entire Spiritual Body, Bride, and Church of Christ, to find a sutable environment in which to grow this little zygote that i am..........
did I mention i am also pro-life? oh. well. there it is.

maybe i should become an avid church visitor. All kinds of churches. Get a feel for them, etc. Talk to people. See about things. Flow with some Holy Spirit flow...............That would be in keeping with my calling (not disclosed here). Since i am already a member, by faith, appointment and annointment, of the entire all-encompassing and whole-earth, universal, greater Body of Christ, that would be just about right for now.
Why not. yeah. i think i'll do that. maybe that is a reason why my Lord did not give me to be born of already- christianized, churchified people. I had to fight my way out of their house of darkness and barely survived. I am to be of the WHOLE BODY OF CHRIST. AND TO HELP UNIFY IT WITH ITSELF. Rather than that thing of meeting in basements off in little severed unaffiliated groups, like so many mutilated fingers, toes, noses, hair and other cutoff Body parts.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:13 PM

19 posts, read 63,797 times
Imago Dei Community

Imago Dei Community

Old 12-15-2008, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,914 times
I am looking for a great black church to attend on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Ideally, it will have a terrific gospel choir and a welcoming congregation. Any ideas?

Old 12-15-2008, 04:33 AM

121 posts, read 373,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
i am looking for a good church in the portland metro area. Like many people here, i have lived in the area most of my life, but was not raised in any particular church (in fact, none for me).
i have attended a baptist-affiliated one, and a catholic one, which were convenient. but, i need one that really takes care of its community. one that does not condone sins but loves the sinner, and the community is helpful and spiritual to get people out of their fallen-ness and consequences.
so i am looking for pro-active, loving, large christian community that interacts wth others of faith as well. not judgemental, but recognizes needs and fully supportive of the spiritual progress and also material needs of its members. that helps its members thrive wholistically. is this too much to ask?
i hope not.
please, post everything you can about good christian communities of faith in the portland area.
Please tell the strengths of each church you know of. For instance, do they have good groups for prayer, music, arts, charitable works, local help for their own poor, family crisis supports, health and nutrition awareness, intellectual strengths, social issues proactivity, community concerns, etc.
thank you!
God Bless us everyone! --(tiny tim)

Rocky Butte Campus | City Bible Church

Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,485,838 times
We currently attend a church called New Heights in Vancouver. New Heights Church

A few things drew us.

First, the teaching in very scriptual based as oppossed to theme based.

Second, they run a couple of free medical/dental clinics and I've helped out a bit for them.

Third, their major missionary emphasis is with groups that really help people with both physical & spiritual needs. As an example, they heavily support Mission Aviation Fellowship. They fly, literally, thousands of releif flights into areas where either others will not go or people have forgotten. Remember the tsunami a fews ago? The people devestated were Muslims. Their fellow Muslims refused to assist them saying the tidal waves were God's will and they should just all die and accept that will. MAF has been, and continues daily, to fly in water, food, blankets, medicine... and some of the areas are hostile.

Anyway, there are a lot of good churches. I might also suggest local Calvary Chapel churches as they are very laid back and 'come as you are' churches.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 AM

359 posts, read 1,308,560 times
Default You're wasting your time with thi kind of mindset.

Although I agree with your post and appreciate your effort at getting someone to expand in mind, trust me, you are totally wasting your time with this type of religious mindset. Just tell her to open the phone book and find a church...it really is that simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Maybe its me, but I think you are going about this entirely the wrong way. It's not your fault, its the whole nature of church. We are the sheep and all that. Actually you have more power than you know. Church is about you, lets paraphrase Kennedy: "ask not what your church can do for you, ask what you can do for your (chosen) church. And, IMO that choice needs to be practical as well as spiritual. If you live in Gresham I do not think it would be the most practical decision to look for a church in Hillsboro regardless of its credentials. All that said, I am going to send you to a church in Beaverton that I have never been to, yet. I met the pastor on a group bike ride (yes, bike ride) and only heard by the by that he was a minister. I found the church website and a number of his sermons are archived there. PM me and I'll give you the link and the address, etc. I've been around churches all my life and to be very honest with you I don't have any chrisitian beliefs, I am a musician and I happen to like church music because I heard so much of it growing up. Churches do great things when enough like minded people get together in one to effect changes around them. You (IMO) don't want a struggling little renegade band of believers off doing thier own thing in a basement somewhere. Find something established and thriving and call it good. The Word is in you, it is Common Sense. Have at it.

H

Old 12-20-2008, 08:27 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,593,839 times
Hoping you will find just the right church community, 2bpurrfect. I am kind of the opposite, though, in that I just want to be left alone. I really like a large and beautiful cathedral-like church, with beautiful music, a little incense, a short (and I do mean short!) sermon, and then leave. Donuts and coffee afterwards are good though! I really enjoy Trinity Episcopal and the Unitarian Church downtown.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:36 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,089,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Hoping you will find just the right church community, 2bpurrfect. I am kind of the opposite, though, in that I just want to be left alone. I really like a large and beautiful cathedral-like church, with beautiful music, a little incense, a short (and I do mean short!) sermon, and then leave. Donuts and coffee afterwards are good though! I really enjoy Trinity Episcopal and the Unitarian Church downtown.
I have relatives who love the Unitarian Church, particularly for it's live-and-let-live attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland