Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:24 AM

381 posts, read 1,016,195 times

Advertisements

Well, insofar as tech is concerned, they already figured that down: H1-B visas allow folks like Intel to import all the engineers they want (and pay 'em a lot less), and IMHO is a far bigger overall scam than any illegal immigration can produce.

As far as English? Nearly every kid in my local church is perfectly fluent and literate in English, since that's pretty much the only way to get a job once you're done with school. The adults are by and large the same, though some struggle with it (but are supported by the kids, so...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 02:06 PM

343 posts, read 692,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
But... I will also take the bait. I am in favor of more LEGAL immigration, generally to match the needs of the job market (in particular, don't leave Intel, physician groups, and the research labs hanging). I am completely against illegal immigration. I like hispanic culture, but I like other cultures too - we're a melting pot, deal with it. I think people should learn to speak English when they come here. It often takes a generation for that assimilation to occur, just like it did for many other non-English speaking immigrants in the past. I am concerned about terrorism, both homegrown and imported... vigilance and security (especially near the borders) is good, shaking down grandma at the airport is bad.
You and many others want the same thing, but first we need to secure our southern border and we both know how that goes... regardless of political affiliation.

In that last sentence, how you went from Mexican immigrants to terrorists beats me. I would be more concerned about the illicit drug trade more than that. It kills more people annually than any single terrorist attack in history... or do Mexicans not count as people? From the cartel wars south of the border, the innocents murdered over gang turf wars right here in the US (and Portland), the folks who OD from the drugs to the people who murder because they were high.

Then again it isn't the drugs that kill people, it's the people who use them- just like guns. In fact the majority of the guns used by Mexican cartels are smuggled through the US! Some of these guns are purchased by women in Texas with no criminal records, which are then transferred to smugglers. There is a huge market for illicit drugs in the US, and the Mexican cartels feed that demand. The Justice Department estimates earnings from illicit drug sales range from $13.6 billion to $48.4 billion annually. That's the same as a GDP of a small country, no wonder they're making a killing.

An apathetic and corrupt Mexican government turns a blind eye to illegal activity and openly accepts bribes. In light of this it isn't very surprising people are fleeing in droves to the US for decades on end, legal or otherwise... wouldn't you? Where these immigrants come from the law is so twisted and skewed, the words "legal" and "illegal" have little bearing. As you can see it's a very complicated problem we Americans choose to openly ignore. It's time to tune out of Fox News and tune in to reality...

Last edited by ramedud; 02-17-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
............ It's time to tune out of Fox News and tune in to reality...
To paraphrase the great H.L. Mencken*: Liberalism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere is watching Fox News.

*The Adventures of Roberta X: "Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere is having a good time."

Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 PM

343 posts, read 692,771 times
...and enjoying it. LOL

Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 AM

682 posts, read 1,578,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
You and many others want the same thing, but first we need to secure our southern border and we both know how that goes... regardless of political affiliation.

In that last sentence, how you went from Mexican immigrants to terrorists beats me.
Immigration-->border security-->terrorism.
Quote:
I would be more concerned about the illicit drug trade more than that.
Different issue
Quote:
It kills more people annually than any single terrorist attack in history... or do Mexicans not count as people?
Huh?
Quote:
From the cartel wars south of the border, the innocents murdered over gang turf wars right here in the US (and Portland), the folks who OD from the drugs to the people who murder because they were high.

Then again it isn't the drugs that kill people, it's the people who use them- just like guns. In fact the majority of the guns used by Mexican cartels are smuggled through the US! Some of these guns are purchased by women in Texas with no criminal records, which are then transferred to smugglers. There is a huge market for illicit drugs in the US, and the Mexican cartels feed that demand. The Justice Department estimates earnings from illicit drug sales range from $13.6 billion to $48.4 billion annually. That's the same as a GDP of a small country, no wonder they're making a killing.

An apathetic and corrupt Mexican government turns a blind eye to illegal activity and openly accepts bribes. In light of this it isn't very surprising people are fleeing in droves to the US for decades on end, legal or otherwise... wouldn't you? Where these immigrants come from the law is so twisted and skewed, the words "legal" and "illegal" have little bearing. As you can see it's a very complicated problem
Agree, very sad, and very complex issue. I don't think this the primary driver of illegal immigration (or the high ratings for "El Rey") though.
Quote:
we Americans choose to openly ignore.
Ummm, OK? (I'm certainly not ignoring it, but OK)
Quote:
It's time to tune out of Fox News and tune in to reality...
CNN never mentions terrorism? (again, I only brought it up in the context of border security)

Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 952 times
An increase in competition for scarce entry level jobs.

An increase in crime.

An increase in gang activity.

An increase in welfare use.

An increase in the use of social service programs.

An increase in out of wedlock births.

An increase in school dropout rates.

A decrease in school standardized test scores.

Interesting, although the person that originally posted the above comment is referring to the effects of a high concentration of Hispanics in an area. I have to wonder why Northern Idaho has the same effects when the concentration of Hispanics is almost none existent!

Old 09-07-2013, 05:07 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I don't know how it would impact Portland, but here are some of the things that have occurred in other cities that have had a huge influx of Hispanics:

An increase in crime.

Come to New Mexico, Albuquerque, where the above comments are quite literally dead on the money. Would be sad if Portland becomes like NM or SoCal.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I don't know how it would impact Portland, but here are some of the things that have occurred in other cities that have had a huge influx of Hispanics:

An increase in crime.

I think everyone incumbent group has said this about every new immigrant group that has ever immigrated to America in large numbers since there was an America. Somehow, we all managed to survive.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:26 PM

57 posts, read 134,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Walk View Post
Well, insofar as tech is concerned, they already figured that down: H1-B visas allow folks like Intel to import all the engineers they want (and pay 'em a lot less), and IMHO is a far bigger overall scam than any illegal immigration can produce.
FYI, many of Intel's groups are not open to non-US citizens due to IP concerns, and they pay above average wages for the industry. But yes, pretty much all of the major tech companies, especially the second tier ones, rely heavily on H1-Bs instead of paying good wages. I interviewed at a group at Qualcomm that was 100% Indian. It seems pretty unlikely to me that Indians would be 100% of the top qualified people for these run-of-the-mill engineering jobs...

As to this thread, if the Spanish radio options are limited but the English options are diverse, it's not hard to see how a single station catering to very small part of the population could become the top one. This can be easily seen by the fact that the top baby male name in the UK is some variant of "Mohammad" despite Muslims being around 5% of the population.

Last edited by gog8rs; 09-07-2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 PM

222 posts, read 470,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think everyone incumbent group has said this about every new immigrant group that has ever immigrated to America in large numbers since there was an America. Somehow, we all managed to survive.
I hear Native Americans saying it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: