Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 06:02 PM

18 posts, read 39,433 times

Advertisements

I am from montana the biggest city here is billings is where I live but I'm downright bored here I never liked it really well here i love the beautiful setting but all there is a couple play areas , few parks, just a couple of play areas but I want to have like a similarness like a mix of california & montana as in have cities with 'stuff to do' and with a 'beautiful place that has 'mild winters. I don't mind rain as long as there is not many thunderstorms.

I'm a single mom who's looking to get away because the 'family support I have here are so overwhelming & totally abusive I continue to get 'berated', beaten down by my mom so much that now my 'stepfather is joining in on it and I hate it .

I would love to go back to california but its too expensive for me there but i been looking for a family friendly area where I don't have to 'run into big spiders, wild animals roaming around, or snakes.

I was wondering how the 'crime is down there ? Do you guys have good schools down there ?

How easy would it be for a single mom to survive in portland,oregon and what is a option for if you don't have family in town what if a 'family emergency happened to me so how could i make sure my boy is safe ?

My son's father lives in noho , california and he's hard to get a hold of at times and it would be harder for 'grandparents to get oregon if my uncle still lives in california he would be there 'right as soon as he can for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 06:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Well I think we need to know a bit more about you like what you do for a living and what your housing/food budget is. There is a lot to do in Portland so you won't be bored but the important question is will you be able to find work quickly and can you afford to live here.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:02 PM

48 posts, read 187,755 times
I would advise you speak with The State of Oregon Employment Dept and see if they can help you get started with a job and suggest where you can look for housing. Anyone can make their life a happy one here if they want to. It's easy. You just get up every day and you do it.

But your first order of business is to make sure you can take care of your child without the help of others if you do move here. You should make sure you have some money saved up, a job to come to, and know where you would like to live. There are many great places to live here that are affordable and the schools are average for the most part with some great ones scattered here and there. You can find apartments, condos, duplexes, and houses for rent/sale on the internet for just about any neighborhood. Income levels are not great. Pretty average unless you work for Intel or Nike! (Other careers here pay well, too...)

As far as emergencies go, it won't take you long to meet friends in Portland. The people are friendly here for the most part. The schools are good about making sure the kids get on the bus and that kind of thing. At least with the younger kids. Until you get to know anyone ask your landlord if they would be willing to be an emergency contact or something. Some won't mind helping out until you get to know others. Your employer would also be a good contact.

Good luck and make smart choices.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:06 PM

295 posts, read 1,179,151 times
I am a single parent living in Portland. My daughter is 5 years old. I want to give you my honest opinion....it can be very tough to make it here as a single parent on one income. You have to look at the school ratings in the area that you want to live in. Not all the schools in the area are good.

The pay here is dropping - even for companies like Intel and Nike. For the larger companies, you have to be able to look at the total package IF you can get hired as a full time permanent employee.

There are lots of places to rent here - the rents are not the cheapest that you will ever see.

I would say this - if you have a job lined up and a place to live - definitely try it. If you don't have a job or a place - I would wait until you can get those two things. The unemployment here in Oregon is horrible.

I work for a staffing company and right now it is very hard to find a job in this market.

I wish you good luck - really think about it before you make the move.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I can only add to malone's post that during the more mild weather I am seeing more and more young women with young children on the streets of downtown panhandling. Please have plenty of money if you move here and be prepared to work very, very hard at finding a job.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:34 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Pretty old thread but the sticker shock of Portand Metro would be tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: