Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times

Advertisements

One of the best things I ever got out of my schooling was during jr. high. They had a summer trip each of the two years I was there, touring Oregon. One year the trip covered eastern Oregon and the next western Oregon. It was a fabulous chance to visit every little nook and cranny of the state. I learned so much by doing that.

As an adult, I can remember having great fun following the "Tourist Loop" around town, eventually visiting all the attractions.

But yeah, "touring" your home city and state is something you really do have to force yourself to do. And it is very much worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
This reminds me of a conversation I had with a New York transplantee. When I told him of the sights I saw when I was in New York; Radio City Music Hall, The Statue of Liberty, Central Park and some others, he told me he had never been to or seen any of them. He said those were things for tourists and natives didn't bother with them.

I was surprised. Maybe that's the way some people who have lived here all their lives feel about the places to go and to see in Oregon.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:08 PM

38 posts, read 55,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Since I moved to Oregon earlier this year, I have been traveling all over the State and visiting the many scenic, historical and cultural attractions. When I get back I tell my neighbors, friends and coworkers what I have seen. What is really shocking is how many of them have never left the City of Portland.

Many have lived in Oregon for years but never have been to the mountains, gorge, or coast. Many have never even crossed the river and seen downtown or the Rose Gardens or Washington Park. I have not talked to anyone yet who has seen the Pittock Mansion or Council Crest Park. I even ran into someone who had never heard of Mount Hood!

Are the average residents of Portland so isolated or have I just ran into a group of duds?
You have met typical Portlanders/Oregonians. The typical one is an insular, home-bound, fearful human being. It is pretty sad.

You can go out, even on one of the very few warm and sunny days, and the parks and recreational venues will be sparsely populated. Most Portlanders are not hiking, climbing trees, boating or even being outside. You can find them watching TV and playing videogames.

Portland is a pretty small town and the places to see are few. It is shocking that, while most Portlanders/Oregonians, have seen Multnomah Falls and maybe Vista Point, few have ventured into Forest Park or even Washington Park or even their neighborhood park or even their own neighborhood. Portlanders are very fearful.

I do not know why Portlanders are scaredy cats but they are. What makes them so afraid? In fact, I will predict that Portlanders will not even realize how afraid they appear to others. This is because few Portlanders are well traveled. They will tell you, in a snit, that they have no need to venture far outside their comfort zone because their comfort zone is so nice.

It is a sad commentary on life in Portland and on the mindset of these oddballs.

------------------ Note:

I find it amusing that those 'Portlanders' commenting on the OP completely miss the point. Anecdotes are meaningless. Here, here (raises hand) I have been to Mt Hood twice in my life is missing the point entirely. New York, San Fran, LA, etc. are big cities with thousands of places to go. Portland is not and does not. There are only a few dozen places that count as tourist attractions so not having gone to most of them means that Portlanders/Oregonians are not getting out of the house.

Now THAT is meaningful. Why are Portlanders/Oregonians so afraid of the outside world and of the people it holds?

Old 03-17-2012, 10:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by for1500 View Post
You have met typical Portlanders/Oregonians. The typical one is an insular, home-bound, fearful human being. It is pretty sad.

You can go out, even on one of the very few warm and sunny days, and the parks and recreational venues will be sparsely populated. Most Portlanders are not hiking, climbing trees, boating or even being outside. You can find them watching TV and playing videogames.

Portland is a pretty small town and the places to see are few. It is shocking that, while most Portlanders/Oregonians, have seen Multnomah Falls and maybe Vista Point, few have ventured into Forest Park or even Washington Park or even their neighborhood park or even their own neighborhood. Portlanders are very fearful.

I do not know why Portlanders are scaredy cats but they are. What makes them so afraid? In fact, I will predict that Portlanders will not even realize how afraid they appear to others. This is because few Portlanders are well traveled. They will tell you, in a snit, that they have no need to venture far outside their comfort zone because their comfort zone is so nice.

It is a sad commentary on life in Portland and on the mindset of these oddballs.

------------------ Note:

I find it amusing that those 'Portlanders' commenting on the OP completely miss the point. Anecdotes are meaningless. Here, here (raises hand) I have been to Mt Hood twice in my life is missing the point entirely. New York, San Fran, LA, etc. are big cities with thousands of places to go. Portland is not and does not. There are only a few dozen places that count as tourist attractions so not having gone to most of them means that Portlanders/Oregonians are not getting out of the house.

Now THAT is meaningful. Why are Portlanders/Oregonians so afraid of the outside world and of the people it holds?
And you are not dealing in anecdotes when you say Portlanders typically do this or that? Just out of curiosity, where do you get your information? You must know every person in Portland to make the comments you have posted.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 PM

I told you, just like clockwork the Portlanders/Oregonians get all in a huff.

Insularity, coldness, lack of trust... a NW tradition. It happens in Seattle as well and everyone comments on it...everyone except those who are native and completely and utterly clueless.

Maybe when outsiders outnumber natives by 20-to-1 the natives will have gotten a clue or, more likely, be irrelevant.

The trick to having at least some fun is to stick to transplants from more fun parts of the world. It is pretty useless to meet natives as they will never look upon you as more than someone to take advantage of.

It is a cultural thing that is brought on by bad weather and subsistence living. I wish a native could actually debate this point with me but they end up going all ballistic and then going home.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:57 PM

Minerva, I'm so happy to see that you're here, apparently speaking for all Portlanders/Oregonians. Not to mention getting huffy on our behalf. lol

As for you, for1500. Where is it you go to visit all these Portlanders? I guess you must go to their basements and play video games with them, hm? Yet you claim to attempt debating with them, but they go ballistic and go home. How can they do both? Never go out, but yet they go home? And they're insular, cold, and "scaredy cats" yet they're out there wanting to meet you to take advantage of you? How can they be both. But one thing you actually did get right. This native hasn't climbed a tree, oh, I'd guess in over 40 years.

Bottom line, you really don't make much sense. Maybe that's why no one wants to debate with you.

Does anyone else detect a whiff of troll?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Minerva, I'm so happy to see that you're here, apparently speaking for all Portlanders/Oregonians. Not to mention getting huffy on our behalf. lol

As for you, for1500. Where is it you go to visit all these Portlanders? I guess you must go to their basements and play video games with them, hm? Yet you claim to attempt debating with them, but they go ballistic and go home. How can they do both? Never go out, but yet they go home? And they're insular, cold, and "scaredy cats" yet they're out there wanting to meet you to take advantage of you? How can they be both. But one thing you actually did get right. This native hasn't climbed a tree, oh, I'd guess in over 40 years.

Bottom line, you really don't make much sense. Maybe that's why no one wants to debate with you.

Does anyone else detect a whiff of troll?
I told you, just like clockwork. Now you claim that I am a troll because you disagree with my take on matters. That is INSULARITY. Thank you for proving my point.

I am looked for a REASONED debate with a native who is capable of controlling their adrenaline flow and engaging in one. No one I know has been able to find one who does not put their arms akimbo and slam their mind shut.

Yes, larceny runs deep in the culture of Portland. As I said, when you live a subsistence lifestyle you must get to be like that. Yes, it is best for the natives to stick together inside their homes and for the rest of us to get together and go out to dinner and a movie.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I am looked for a REASONED debate with a native who is capable of controlling their adrenaline flow and engaging in one. No one I know has been able to find one who does not put their arms akimbo and slam their mind shut.
Try making a reasonable argument, and I'll be happy to answer. But new posters whose point of registering is to come in here and make stupid claims badmouthing any town ... stink of troll.

Anyone making statements like "one of the very few warm and sunny days" shows they don't know what they're talking about regarding the weather. If they can't speak accurately to something so easily quantifiable, makes their opinion on things that are a matter of judgement something not worth regarding.

It's funny how once again, you're assigning characteristics to all these natives you've met, while claiming they never go out. Once again, where is it you're meeting them, if they are always in their basements, playing video games?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Try making a reasonable argument, and I'll be happy to answer. But new posters whose point of registering is to come in here and make stupid claims badmouthing any town ... stink of troll.

Anyone making statements like "one of the very few warm and sunny days" shows they don't know what they're talking about regarding the weather. If they can't speak accurately to something so easily quantifiable, makes their opinion on things that are a matter of judgement something not worth regarding.

It's funny how once again, you're assigning characteristics to all these natives you've met, while claiming they never go out. Once again, where is it you're meeting them, if they are always in their basements, playing video games?
Your definition of troll = someone you disagree with. That makes YOU the troll in my eyes.

Now that was a waste of posting.

Portland has the most hours of rain of any major metropolitan area in the USA so my statement about one of the few warm and sunny days is quite accurate. I am fact-based, you are not.

Yes, Portlanders/Oregonians are conspicuously absent from parks and recreational venues during the few warm and sunny days. Prove me wrong and try to make a reasoned argument without calling me a troll. Really, can you do that?

Old 03-18-2012, 01:04 AM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
Quote:
Your definition of troll = someone you disagree with. That makes YOU the troll in my eyes.

Now that was a waste of posting.

Portland has the most hours of rain of any major metropolitan area in the USA so my statement about one of the few warm and sunny days is quite accurate. I am fact-based, you are not.

Yes, Portlanders/Oregonians are conspicuously absent from parks and recreational venues during the few warm and sunny days. Prove me wrong and try to make a reasoned argument without calling me a troll. Really, can you do that?
I've lived in 8 states and 16 cities. My experience is that most metropolitan areas have much less access to parks and outdoor activities as does Oregon. In areas that have a small number of parks for their populations; these are crowded when weather permits. In the northern and midwest states, especially, outdoor activity days can be restricted by gusty winds, sub-freezing (and sub-zero days), 90 Plus degree days, storms, and other types of weather. There is a large impact of weather in most other parts of the country.

Here, a little rain really doesn't hurt much for basic outdoor access
Oregon is #7 in states with the highest active population according to the CDC:
The Most Active States in America

This site shows how much CITY parkland per person is available in some of the major metro areas (doesn't even count the coast or the national and state parks):
Parkland per person in the United States

There are oddballs everywhere, and plenty of variety of folks. Not sure if it's fear that's holding them back.... Could be any other number of things.

However, for the most part, Oregon has lots of outdoor space in which to play. People just aren't crowded together like in some places - but to declare that people are just cowering fearfully somewhere instead of being outside, for the most part... that assessment really surprised me.

I have noticed that it seems that Oregon has more citizens who have been born here and never left than any other place I've lived. Doesn't mean they haven't traveled... My two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland