Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,467,753 times

Advertisements

As someone said, "why are people so upset with Mexicans moving to the United States? They're just reclaiming their country." Kind of like our thinking during the Great Expansion Years....

This whole thread turned weird. I thought the lady who started this thread was talking about the weather in AZ -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 01:44 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
What do they go into "shock" over? Compared to central CA there are about zero Latinos here. It's such a small percentage of the population that I find it hard to believe that people would go into "shock" over it. Are they just surprised that they live here?
I don't know where you live but have you been to Hillsboro, Cornelius, Forest Grove????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????

Old 09-05-2008, 01:54 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,176 times
Maybe people in Portland (which is very much a "white" city) are just not used to seeing minorities and are blowing things out of proportion? If you come from the South/Southwest, where the cities are extremely diverse, then it's just normal. Everyone I know who has been to Portland tells me that they saw hardly any minorities, which is why I was questioning the migration from Mexico to Portland or the existence of barrio neighborhoods.

I am surprised at the racist overtones coming out in this thread, though.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:00 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,627,663 times
So what. There's a Latino population. Why would someone from Central CA find diversity so shocking--especially since compared to there the Latino population is still small. Why is it an issue who lives there? Or is it supposed to be white only or something since it's Oregon? Is that why it's "shocking?"

Neighborhoods change all the time in both income level and diversity. The entire country is diversifying. You can't change it and there are benefits to it as well.

I also think it's incredibly rude (and I'm not making this about you) that many people on this board feel it's acceptable to go on about the "Mexicans" like it's a universal opinion or that everyone is a gang member. I don't hear anyone talking about Asian people or Black people that way but it's "OK" to lump all "Mexicans" as gang members or inherently "bad." I know a lot of wonderful people from various Latin cultures. There's good and bad in every group. I'm more worried about the white Meth addicts than any minority group. And yes, I've been to the areas you mention.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Maybe people in Portland (which is very much a "white" city) are just not used to seeing minorities and are blowing things out of proportion? If you come from the South/Southwest, where the cities are extremely diverse, then it's just normal. Everyone I know who has been to Portland tells me that they saw hardly any minorities, which is why I was questioning the migration from Mexico to Portland or the existence of barrio neighborhoods.

I am surprised at the racist overtones coming out in this thread, though.
You pegged it exactly. And I don't think everyone is from Portland either who is making commentary (i.e. suburbs that are more conservative). Portland has gotten a lot more diverse, particularly with the Latino population, and now it's bringing the hysterics out of the woodwork. I know change is hard for many people but that's part of life and living in a growing city/area. From what I've experienced most of the people in Portland don't have this attitude fortunately.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:18 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Okay, everyone:

It was NOT my intention to turn this thread into something "racist". I was trying to provide extra info that could have been important enough to this person to take into consideration for possible relocation.

The originator of this posting was interested in Hillsboro and Beaverton ~ areas that I apparently know a lot more about than the people who have been so "active" with responses. I live and work in these two towns and have for 18 YEARS!

The originator lives in AZ now, and statistics in population ~ AND gangs! ~ could have been of interest to this person.

She did not mention children, so I assume they have none. But if they did they may have found the info valuable as parents, as some of the school systems are different. Depending on the area of Hillsboro, the Hispanic density has promoted the schools to changed cirriculums. The efforts to get these children caught up, in turm, makes the rest fall behind. I live in a modest neighborhood (just in case you want to "assume" I live in yuppie area... I don't), and in recent years I've watched families either move (for better schools), or home-school their children. None of it is a concern to me personally, as I have no children in school.

Statistics: Hispanic population in Hillsboro is just under 20%. Cornelius is at around 37.50%. And, contrary to what someone posted on here, I actually WANT more diversity here! In the last few years I've been noticing more Asians and Afro-Americans moving to Hillsboro, and I'm absolutely digging it.

And, oldtintype, here is why my family gets surprised when they visit: They're out in agricultural land (central Calif). When they come to Hillsboro they get highly surprised at how many of them we have here, too. In HILLSBORO! On the other hand, I go down there almost every year and ~ no joke! ~ I cannot tell the difference. It is just like being home. But this is HILLSBORO! NOT PORTLAND!

And, yes, I'm well-aware of the meth problem here. Even had one living across the street from me. A white man, I hasten to add (and I watched him like hawk until he moved).

However, it is YOU few on this thread who turned this into being more than it was because you all jumped through the wrong conclusions! It all went right over your heads! I made a bad decision by providing more information than the originator asked for, and THIS is the lesson I learned here. She didn't ask for any information on ethnic census or gang information. I am not apologizing. I'll just be more careful.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:46 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,221 times
As far as being racist, I am not but I like to promote diversity as far as personalities go with race being part of it but most of the time it being more about being open with who you are sorta thing which some cultures shy away from all the more.
Like if you could easily see a Cheech and Chong to brighten up a place, a mexican neighborhood wouldnt be so bad. I dont worry about crime but when social standards suck, you do gotta say something whether you got whites in your hood or whatever else you got in your hood.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Okay, everyone:

It was NOT my intention to turn this thread into something "racist". I was t
And, oldtintype, here is why my family gets surprised when they visit: They're out in agricultural land (central Calif). When they come to Hillsboro they get highly surprised at how many of them we have here, too.
How many of THEM we have? If you don't see the issue with that kind of comment then I guess it's pointless to continue.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:51 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I can't believe how racist this forum is.
Can we make that "some of the posters" rather than "this forum." I'd hate to be grouped with the number of THEM we have here.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,221 times
Some of you people who claim this place is racist seriously need to get a grip and stop being loathing liberals. You all lose in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland