Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:23 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,016,005 times

Advertisements

The kids could be anywhere as that's the nature of homeless kids. I feel that all cities in the US need to drastically improve their methods and resources with dealing with the homeless. Not sure how many shelters and programs Portland has in aiding the homeless? It would be a shame of any liberal city not to address such a social crisis especially when there are children involved.

There's a difference with hanging on the streets and being forced to turn to the streets as a result of economic, emotional or other forms of abuse. Most of these problems are a result of economic and social ills anyway so until poverty is addressed we're not going to move anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 PM

11 posts, read 56,423 times
Thumbs up Why are there homeless

Before I get the the topic. Thanks Supernova your very knowledgeable. I know why there are homeless in California as I did a study with the League of Womens Voters several years ago. The Lanterman Act allow the mentally ill freedom. They don't have to be locked up and cannot be forced to take their medicines. So they leave the large institutions for the streets. I would imagine most states have this.
Of course our runaways (forever-what reason they run away ) do fall under that freedom act once they hit a certain age.
Homlessness has always been a big thing for me. I guess as someone else on the thread mentioned , any one of us could be on the streets with the price of real estate.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:27 AM

You're very welcome. We need to develop new approaches to address our problems. Continuing to spend $50k per yr. on putting people in prison is not the answer. Back in the 1960's-1970's people had a different concept of "partying" and having a good time. Rebelling against injustice is one thing but going out to murder, rape and rob people is another. Those things could be prevented and part of an epidemic of the vicious cycle of homelessness.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:47 PM

I just noticed that this thread got nearly 1,100 hits MORE THAN ANY OTHER. Funny how people seem to be so "concerned" about homeless people. That's too bad most I've come across were very nice people.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:55 PM

Wow, gives me chills to think that many people have looked at it. I have printed it out as it helps if you understand.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 PM

how can you tell how many lookers at the thread ( probably your end)? Mine is showing 484 which still is alot for a subject.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:19 PM

Just check under "views" and it's approaching 1,100. We shouldn't have different numbers as it's the same forum....lol Yes, I do understand you wanting to print it out, it makes sense. I think there is a very negative stigma associated with the less fortunate in society. Our culture's ignorance has manifested itself to record heights. Hopefully Portland has more common sense then the rest of the country. I just think that it's funny how people are more concerned about homeless in their neighborhood, as opposed to all the other "far more interesting/important" inquiries.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Why are our kids dropping out of school?

Another thing that goes along with this subject is prior to running away our kids are dropping out of school all over the country. This should not be happening. Intelligent kids dropping out.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 PM

I agree. Kids should stay in school and maximize their potential. However, given the nature of our school system and parental care, there appear to be a clear conflict between the kids and adults "connecting" with each other. I think we need more teachers that know how to teach and make the classes interesting as opposed to a one way monologue. Parents can do a better job with learning to listen to their children's needs and empathize more. The fact that kids are turning to the streets is nothing new. It makes sense if you think about it. This is where their friends are and people who respect them.

Personally I don't feel that you need to be in school on a "formal basis" in order to attain an education as there are various methods one can utilize to educate themselves. On the same note, I believe that you NEED formal schooling in order to compete in the job market. Of course that's still no guarantee but at least you'll have something on paper. Hopefully you'll land something decent before they offshore your industry to India.....lol

Old 12-06-2007, 08:49 AM

10 posts, read 72,136 times
Wow. Where to start! Well, for one - the state child welfare workers are swamped with child abuse cases (young children) so they can't worry about the teens - haven't been able to for years (FYI: I worked for child welfare for over 20 years). Most of the kids in the state training schools and juvenile detention are there for serious offenses, so they are overwhelmed - limited beds there. Nobody wants to deal with teens in the foster care system - very few homes will even take them due to chronic runaway, drugs, firesetting behavior, sexual acting out, threat of sex abuse against other children in the home, etc. A lot of teens in foster care become defacto babysitters for the other kids, are behind or struggle in school, have substance abuse problems, severe emotional problems, so they gravitate to the freedom inner city PDX offers despite the risks. Also, there are a number of drop-in centers where kids can get daily meals, hang-out, get clothes, etc. Not saying these are bad - they certainly need the support - but it can keep them on the street longer. A few dedicated programs are able to actually take the kids off the street like Transitional Youth (which has several homes in Portland and Vancouver that work with kids to help them complete their education, get a job and transition to independent living). Fine program - worth your support! Mental health support is a joke. I've known one female adult street person now living in Washington County who has been on the street for 25 years - even made the cover of the Living Section of the Oregonian one year because she was shoeless in downtown Portland, her feet so filthy they were blackened. Couldn't get mental health services 25 years ago - and still can't. Came into our office one day, stripped off all her clothes and started washing them in the restroom sink. Police were called to remove her - her mental health worker couldn't be reached - and no other MH worker would come and deal with her - despite the fact that MH offices front door was 30 feet away across the parking lot. I'll never forget the sight of her walking away in 38 degree weather, in soaking wet clothes and barefoot. Police couldn't take her to jail - she committed no crime. I still see her on the street - with shaved head and her grocery cart full of her few possessions - mostly junk. Oregon failed her 25 years ago when she was a young woman and is still failing her. PDX has two brand new state-of-the-art, multi-million dollar animal shelters - but our kids are still sleeping under bridges and panhandling on the streets of downtown Portland. We care more about stray cats and pit bulls than children. One day there will come a reckoning.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland