Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 04:06 AM

4 posts, read 28,565 times

Advertisements

Portland's homeless population strikes me as being noticeably younger on average than the homeless populations of other US cities I've visited. Is that in fact the case, and if so is there any explanation for why? Is there something particular about Portland that puts kids on the street, or are homeless kids coming to Portland from elsewhere for some reason? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 03:16 AM

108 posts, read 469,733 times
Yeah, runaway kids are a big thing here. I have no idea why - I read a reference on this forum to a local tv news special (I believe) about the runaways. I don't know why they'd come here to be wet 1/2 the time. In a neighborhood park we observed a homeless teen gang with several pit bulls - they'd set up around 4 or 5 pm, tie the dogs to a fence and put out sleeping bags. Nice to have that by the playground!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:08 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Many of the homeless teens / kids on the street are not from Portland. But rural areas of Oregon, Washington, Idahoe, California. I'm not sure why the flock here. Probably for the similar reasons other people come. Maybe it's the vibe of the city.

In terms of homeless kids in parks and around the city. YOu will find pockets of activity but it is not prevelant in the entire city. In my neighborhood (I'm 5 mins from Downtown) I see very few homeless people (maybe 2 regulars and occassional one or two more). And I see no homeless teens in my neighborhood. I have young kids and visit many parks around town and have never seen what the previous poster described. However, it's not to say it does not exsist. Again, it's in pockets. Stick to the family friendly neighborhoods and you'll be fine.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
I saw that TV special.. Drugs are had pretty easy there in Portland from what I hear, and the acceptance of it use also draws them. I understand you have a needle exchange program there too.. so that draws them up there. I also saw a report that said that Portland people hand out money and other things to homeless, even have spots on the street that you can drop off blankets and food and what not that these homeless have access to.

Other than that I am not sure why. Interresting topic though..

Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 AM

108 posts, read 469,733 times
Yes, in response to PDXMom, what I witnessed with the pit bull gang living in the park WAS in a family friendly neighborhood in SE Portland. That's exactly why it was so disturbing - this is the local kids' park, and these thugs decided to make it their home. At the same park, crack deals go down in broad daylight while the kids play baseball...the crack user then uses the drug on the premises, and proceeds to have a crack "wig out" session (I don't know the crack jargon so bear with me) right by the little league game - my point is, ANYWHERE in close-in PDX you're bound to have some homeless, drug users, street kids, etc. Mt. Tabor is the first neighborhood in Portland where I haven't had these issues, and it is still pretty close-in but not so urban feeling.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:16 AM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
I would like to know why a underage kid is allowed to be living on the streets of Portland, I would think that the age alone would clue the authorities, to pick the kid up, and find out where the parents are. To me it is abuse the kid is on the street, but the underage thing I don't know why portland is allowing this.I find it disgusting downtown, to see this every time I am there. The other day, one kid about 15 or so, followed me to the fast food counter in Pioneer square, I was buying a sandwich, and he asked me to buy him something to eat. I said no, and then felt bad for him, looked for him, and then decided to ask the security guard about this, and was told, thank you for your concern, he will find a shelter to hang out in, I realize its not the guards job to take care of this, I understand this, but I am disgusted with Portland's lackidasical manner in the fact it does not deal with this, or it would not be so apparent versus other cities in the usa, where homeless children are not wandering aimlessly around begging for money, with dogs carrying their belongings on their backs.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:01 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,716,521 times
Default street kids

There are street kids everywhere unless the jurisdiction has a policy of picking them up. If they pick them up, they either return them to potentially abusive homes or they have to incarcerate them on some petty charge. Not all states define a 15 year old as under age, and adults generally have freedom of movement unless they are a danger to themselves or others. The reason there may be more in Portland is they are not as likely to freeze as often in the winter. In Denver, homeless can freeze to death this time of year.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:19 PM

11 posts, read 56,554 times
Question Where do the runaway hang out in Portland

My grandsons are suppose to be in Portland; one is 18 and one 17. What streets and parks or whatever do they hang out around? They lived in Tacoma, Wa. and I live in Southern California, I am ready to take off and drive up there and look around. They have been gone a year. The younger one has been sent home couple times , once from Texas and Seattle . Heads back to Portland.
I just want to see and talk to them. There mom decided she wanted a divorce after 18 years and I believe the boys are getting even. A.J. and Jordan are there names.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:52 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I would like to know why a underage kid is allowed to be living on the streets of Portland, I would think that the age alone would clue the authorities, to pick the kid up, and find out where the parents are.

That's strange. I thought most cities have a no loitering law between school hours. I know they do in SoCal.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:09 PM

152 posts, read 878,053 times
Portland should definitely address this issue...it makes the city feel much less family friendly than it is. It's also kind of depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland