Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:20 PM

536 posts, read 2,153,663 times

Advertisements

I notice almost everyone in Portland is from some place else. I've met so many people from all over the country, especially from the east coast. Where is everyone from and what do you like or dislike about Portland.

I'm from Omaha, NE. I've lived in Portland for 2 years. I like the scenery and everything, and being close to the ocean and mountains. But one thing I dislike is that most people here have alot of pride, and are closed minded about other parts of the country. I got laughed at being from Omaha, yet it's a city not much smaller than Portland. I know that because I lived there. The first person to make fun of me was from Salem. After living here for a year, I ran into more backwoods/redneck type people in Oregon than I did living in Nebraska my whole life. I also notice that people in Portland drive super slow, im not sure if it's because people are more cautious of bikers or pedestrians or people are more laid back. I like that Portland isn't segregated like the midwest. Everyone lives amongst eachother and live happily. Less racism is what im getting at.

Anyway, I love Portland... these are just some observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 11:40 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
After living here for a year, I ran into more backwoods/redneck type people in Oregon than I did living in Nebraska my whole life.
Well, there aren't many woods in Nebraska, are there?

Old 08-24-2008, 11:57 PM

536 posts, read 2,153,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Well, there aren't many woods in Nebraska, are there?

There are, Nebraska is the home of Arbor Day But no, not compared to Oregon.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
I'm from Omaha, NE. I've lived in Portland for 2 years. I like the scenery and everything, and being close to the ocean and mountains. But one thing I dislike is that most people here have alot of pride, and are closed minded about other parts of the country.
You'd get the same thing in California, Washington, Colorado, Arizona and Texas (to name but a few states where "pride of place" borders on obnoxious).

Old 08-25-2008, 11:06 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I am from Chicago and still get teased after living here 30 years. People ask me if I knew Al Copone. Honestly! I am not THAT old.

I was used to transplants when I lived in Chicago because people from all over frequently moved there. I never saw already established Chicagoians resenting or making fun of them.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:36 PM

36 posts, read 126,223 times
Default Native Transplant

Twice, since coming back to Portland, after 40 years gone, I have been flipped the bird because I had California license plates. Whatever.

Pretty funny, since I was born here but I am not of here, if you know what I mean. I have always felt like a stranger, when coming home. My family believes (as a group) that they are mentally ill, so for me to be accepted, I not only have to believe I am mentally ill but I have to act like it. Had I stayed here, my life would have been terrible.

The first 2 women I met (both professionals) just barely survived abusive men...one of the husbands threatened to burn down their house with her and the dogs in it. I am not saying this behavior doesn't go on in other parts of the country, but acting out is far more tolerated from men here than most places in the country. Raging men are common. It is shame-based behavior..related to generations of seasonal employment, nasty weather, alcohol and blue collar mentality.

Actually, there are nicer, better behaved and more intelligent people in Washington State; it was settled by different people.

So, abusing newcomers is just traditional. Too bad really...to give people the impression that Oregon is a third world country. It won't be long though that Oregonians will have something really serious to complain about and that will be the cost of supporting more tens of thousands of homeless and illegal aliens. Oregonians are nice to those people.

So now that the fish and trees are gone, be nice to tourists.

I will continue visit as I please, California plates or not. This is the U.S. but to live, give me sunny, beautiful San Diego. We have already been through all of this...one year everyone came from Chicago, the next from Denver. Get used to it..we are a people who search for opportunities and better quality of life. If you don't find it here, kill the promoter who made a lot of money lying to you...most likely a charming real estate developer.

Getting conscience of problems is the only way to solve them. Getting angry just doesn't cut it...in fact, that kind misplaced behavior makes people very vulnerable and more easily run over.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:04 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Yeah, I've noticed the same things you have regarding attitudes against "outsiders". Funny thing is, most of THEM aren't natives, either! And what Oregonians don't realize is that EVERY state complains about growth and transplants. (Well, maybe with the exception of Wyoming.)

Other than that, the only thing I really don't like are the springs here. In fact, we don't have spring anymore. In due time it will cycle back, I'm sure. There are a couple of other things I don't like but would rather not disclose.

What I love is July and August when there are so many terrific things to do that nobody has a right to be bored. Love the Farmer's Markets. Love the different festivals. Close to the coast, Sauvie Island, even the gorge during the good months. Lots of good restaurants. Great blues music scene. The Saturday Market is a favorite.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:07 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
There are, Nebraska is the home of Arbor Day But no, not compared to Oregon.
Uh, oh. Not exibiting a bit of Nebraska pride there, are you?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 PM

52 posts, read 209,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am from Chicago and still get teased after living here 30 years. People ask me if I knew Al Copone. Honestly! I am not THAT old.

I was used to transplants when I lived in Chicago because people from all over frequently moved there. I never saw already established Chicagoans resenting or making fun of them.
That sounds just like the people of Portland...an underachieving, closed off, oddball city making fun of a place like Chicago. What a joke. My wife and I tried living in Portland and got out of the place eagerly after half a year. As soon as a Portlander realized you were from elsewhere it was like you were just released from a leper colony. That's if they would even converse in the first place. We headed up to Washington State...much easier to get along there, the people were much more well-adjusted.

You've gotta laugh...Portland people making fun of Chicago. Get a clue.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno44 View Post
That sounds just like the people of Portland...an underachieving, closed off, oddball city making fun of a place like Chicago. What a joke. My wife and I tried living in Portland and got out of the place eagerly after half a year. As soon as a Portlander realized you were from elsewhere it was like you were just released from a leper colony. That's if they would even converse in the first place. We headed up to Washington State...much easier to get along there, the people were much more well-adjusted.

You've gotta laugh...Portland people making fun of Chicago. Get a clue.
I think the worst experience I ever had with this sort of thing is when I lived in Texas. I didn't hate blacks, I didn't hate gays, I was from ~ gasp! ~ Cal-ee-fore-ny-yay! And, to make things worse in their eyes, I didn't care that I differed from them! I was 7 months pregnant when we left the state and never looked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland