Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 13,621 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Portland from Mass the beginning of October and I can't seem to really find out where the best place to live would be. I'm 22, and looking for a fun part of the city. An apartment that wouldn't put me in a quiet rural area where it wont be as easy to meet some people as I'm making the trip solo. If anybody has any insight I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 12:30 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,239,642 times
It would be helpful if you could provide some ranges in what you're able to afford. And do you have a job lined up?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:02 PM

I'm sorry your right, I'm looking for something in the 700-1050 a month range. Either a studio or 1 bedroom. I don't have a job lined up yet but I have enough put away right now that I have some time to get settled first. Thank you!

Old 09-09-2008, 05:10 PM

544 posts, read 1,465,881 times
No way! I come from Lowell area MA originally and I was just in Portland!!
Small world how youd post this.
Go all the way to Portland! Get out of Lowell!
Lowell looks good next to some towns for sure but when picking from Lowell and Portland, its a no frikken brainer. I grew up in Billerica myself.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:13 PM

Well, I live in the burbs, which means I'm not really up to date on what rentals average in downtown Portland, so I'm hoping that others post some suggestions/info for you.

But let me make one suggestion. Try the Hollywood Dist or even Lloyd Center Dist, where I think rent can be a little cheaper than downtown. Both have good transit connections to downtown, so it would still be easy for you to get in the mix when you want to.

There is also Hillsdale, which an interesting strip on the hill on Highway 10 (Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy). Again, I don't know what rent averages but it's worth a look. There is a bus (no Lightrail) that connects to downtown.

Check 'em out. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:21 PM

Bluesbabe, thank you! I appreciate the help. I will definitely check those out...

meltnjohn, sure is a small world. i love lowell/chelmsford, but if portland isnt a step up then there isnt much hope in the world haha

***if anyone else knows of any apartment complexes in the $700-1050 range in downtown that suits a 22-year old itd be great. Moving in october completely blind, so anything helps. thanks!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 PM

544 posts, read 1,465,881 times
Naa dude I dont like Chelmsford lol. I found most of that place was snooty lol.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,733 times
Live on the east side, in one of the following neighborhoods: Clinton, Belmont, Hawthorne, Alberta, Mississippi. Also check out the general area around Stark and 28th radiating out several blocks.

Those are all hip rental areas with lots of possibilities for dining, entertainment, and meeting people.

Good luck --

Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 PM

This may sound like weird advice, but I think it's something that you should be aware of.

I don't know if you've been reading other threads regarding relocation, but apparently it is VERY difficult to obtain an apartment before you secure a job. I've been out of the rental loop for a long time. You should include some alternatives in your quest to get established here.

I've seen some suggestions to use Craigslist for possible temporary roommate sharing/rental. That is a good suggestion.

Also, try calling some hotels-motels to see who offers monthly rates. The Extended Stay America-type places would, and the rate most likely wouldn't be as high as the $1500 you allot yourself for an apartment. Of course, it won't be as spacious as an apartment, but at least you have a place to sleep and change while you're job-hunting. And since it's just temporary, I would include the outskirts of Portland, like Hillsboro, which I know has a very nice extended stay-type hotel. There is a bus in that area that connects to the Lightrail. (And you don't have to roommate with someone you don't know.)

I'm sure that the monthly rates vary according to location. There are some on the waterfront in Portland which I'd expect to cost more.

But search the net under "monthly rate lodging in Portland", or something like that, and see what you come up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland