U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2007, 04:58 PM

19 posts, read 107,957 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Beaverton, OR. I grew up in the Northwest (Idaho), but have not spent much time in Portland or the Beaverton area. What is it like in terms of cost of housing and community? Does it have an individual identity/community separate from Portland, or does it just feel like a suburb? Also, how animal friendly is the town? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 06:43 PM

118 posts, read 403,448 times
Think of Beaverton as the Bellevue of Oregon. Very upper-class from what I've seen.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:06 PM

17 posts, read 355,739 times
I don't think Beaveton's the same class as Bellevue. Bellevue has skyscrapers, lots of fine dining, and its own identity.
Beaverton, as a whole, is pretty bland. The West Side suburbs all kinda flow into each other, with no feeling that you just left or entered a new town.
I do think it is a great place to live and raise a family though. Easy MAX access, houses aren't too expensive, you're just a few minutes out of downtown Portland, and it's growing quickly.
I used to live in the Orenco area, which is between Hillsboro and Beaverton, you should check it out.
All of Portland is very dog friendly. My wife and I have 2 bigger dogs, and are welcomed almost everywhere we go. There are a lot of dog parks (check out www.portlandpooch.com) (broken link), lots of cool boarding places, and even downtown restaurants that have outdoor seating will bring you water dishes if you've got the dogs with you.

Hope this helps

Old 02-11-2007, 02:46 AM

2 posts, read 29,400 times
Default Soft Soil ~ look at the People not the things

Hi, I was born and rasied there! and with that said, I also have been lucky enough to travel many places in this world, and having done so developed the following theory. "If the ground is hard, so will your life be",
Oregon has very soft soil, mossy trees, sandy riverbeds, beautiful roses and green grassy fields. You are only 1 hour from the beaches or 1 hour from the snowy mountains. A river runs down the middle of Portland dividing the city, east and west. Portland also has a wonderful downtown "fare less square area", a well developed arts and theater center and you can shop the farmers markets or uptown Nordstroms.

Beverton with employers such as Intel and Nike, has developed into a very nice caring commuinty, only 12 miles west of Portland. The westside's only downfall is the traffic, the growth from the early 90' has continued. the cost of living is a little higher than one would expect, but thats due to demand. and the job market is tuff, you are lucky to be offered a job there - go for it, there isn't a place I can think of better to rasie a family. Good friendly honest people. Its very much a down to earth place. PS: The Cedar Mills or Hillsdale areas should be checked out!

Old 02-13-2007, 04:55 PM

10 posts, read 78,412 times
Beaverton is definitely not upperclass or like Bellevue at all. It has it good and bad areas. I spend a lot of time their in the summers and would love to move there but the housing prices are just jumping up for what i am looking for.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:16 PM

48 posts, read 201,648 times
"Think of Beaverton as the Bellevue of Oregon."

That's a good comparison. Has anybody noticed that Bellevue and Beaverton have very similar digits at the last three digits in the zip codes AND similar telephone prefixes?

Only the phone area codes for Beaverton is 971 & 503 and Bellevue is 425 (used to be 206 when that was the area code for all of western WA).

The zip codes in Oregon begin with 97xxx and western Washington is 98xxx

Old 04-06-2007, 07:03 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,306,150 times
I am considering Beaverton, but was told to stay north of 26...I am also looking into lake oswego, heard you can get a nice condo for 200s there, I def want a good school too, and a low crime suburb that does not back up to a slum.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:34 AM

18 posts, read 169,465 times
I moved to Beaverton 3 months ago, and I absolutely love it here. Yes, it is suburbia, but it's the most beautiful suburbia I've ever seen. I bought a very nice 3 bedroom condo in the Sexton Mountain area in the low $200s. I would say you could easily find a place here for around $150-$200.

I did want to get closer in to Portland, but couldn't find anything affordable that had all the amenities I was looking for, first and foremost being a garage. Why, with all the rain and snow, are there so many homes without garages?

I moved from the So Cal, San Fernando Valley area, where even if you were in a fairly decent neighborhood, you wouldn't want to go for a walk at night. The thing I love most about Beaverton is that there are parks or greenspaces within 1/2 mile of every home. I feel completely safe here at all times of the day and night.

Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland