Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 56,747 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Portland, would be moving from Phx upper middle suburbs. I want to make a total change and be IN the city where I can walk to a blockbuster, a cool lounge, great restaurants, comedy clubs, all the energy. (we don't have that here in phx, unless you live in Scottsdale and I have to commute 40 mins every weekend to make that happen.

I want to get a loft/flat that has lots of windows, allows a couple small dogs and at least two bedrooms. I've looked on Craig's list and there seems to be a lot.

My question is: I've been told to stay away from downtown because not as close to walking to all the cool places, and that Pearl is more what i'm looking for. I'm a single 30-something female who likes to get out and meet people. So what is your recommendation.

Also, what would be the best way to connect with new people/friends when I get there. Some online thing? This forum?

Thanks so very much for your feedback!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 09:31 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Pearl is the trendy and nice place to be, all the apartments are above nice shops with great restaurants. I hope you can afford 2,000+ a month for a 2 bedroom apartment if you want to live there.

Not sure about dogs though, some will accept small dogs and cats.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:29 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
It's true that the downtown office/retail core is not a residential area, but it's surrounded by the kinds of places you want. The Pearl itself is ridiculously expensive as noted above, but there are more reasonable areas west, and south, and across the river.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:19 PM

147 posts, read 578,273 times
I like downtown better than the Pearl. There are more things to do downtown, not just shops and restaurants. Library, restaurants, parks, river, mall, PSU, theaters, museums, etc..
Downtown and Pearl is close enough to walk so walking to all cool places is no big differences. You can just take the street car or bike if you want to go further.
Pearl is too busy, too many shoppers and tourist, at least near Powell.

Downtown Condos are almost the same price as Pearl. If you have money, I'd look at the following downtown buildings.
Benson tower and Elliot tower are on the street car route near the museum. Koin tower is near Keller auditorium, the theater. Cyan and Ladd tower are still building.

good luck making friends

Old 09-18-2008, 06:44 PM

88 posts, read 357,647 times
Go Goose Hallow....never look back...

Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 PM

8 posts, read 56,747 times
I really appreciate all the feedback. So, is it safe to say that d-town would be about the same price (rent or own), but with access to more things with less tourists?

I can afford the pricetag on the rent and my dogs (2 minpins) shoudln't be a problem.

In my dreams I'd like to be in one of those warehouse buildings that has been renovated. Really need 2BR plus a den. Any ideas on specific buildings dtown or in pearl that you can recommend??

Thanks so very much :-)

Old 09-19-2008, 11:42 AM

147 posts, read 578,273 times
Downtown is more diverse, but it's a moot point really since Downtown and Pearl are in the same walking radius.
Downtown condos are more glassy tower type. If you want big boxy warehouses, the Pearl is the place to be.
2BR + den in renovated warehouse? I think that'll be tough to find. I don't know the Pearl that well though. I've only seen studio or small loft in renovated warehouses. I think the new buildings should have something like that.

Goose Hollow is nice, it is quieter and just a bit away from the actions.

Here ya go, some posh places downtown.
Pearl District Condos and Lofts - Portland Pearl District Real Estate and Homes for Sale
Pearl District Condos and Lofts - Portland Pearl District Real Estate and Homes for Sale

Old 09-19-2008, 11:54 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I could be wrong but I think most of the warehouses were torn down to make way for the glass and steel type highrises. I think I do remember seeing some older buildings advertising loft apartments around Whole Foods. These were mostly studios.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:29 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
There's also a place called the Jefferson in Goose Hollow that is right next to the MAX line as well. They just finished building it not long ago.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:20 PM

88 posts, read 357,647 times
I used to live right across the street from that complex in the Starbucks building...I watched (and listened to) that construction the entire time I was there. It is a pretty nice area and I agree it's one of the most posh choices over there. It's a little more neighborhood'ish in GH than dt or the pearl - nice to have some peace and quiet...plus the cafe's and nature walking trails all over that hill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
There's also a place called the Jefferson in Goose Hollow that is right next to the MAX line as well. They just finished building it not long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland