Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 07:35 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,049,927 times

Advertisements

Okay, lets fill a stadium full of jello and all the states can fight it out.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:15 AM

42 posts, read 142,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.LA View Post
As an Oregonian who moved to California, I can say with much certainty that Californians do not hate Oregonians. In fact they generally think well of Oregon and think it's a beautiful place.
I totally agree with this post. I am a native Oregonian that has lived in California for most of my adult life until recently where I am dividing my time almost equally between the two states. I too can say that Californians do not think badly of Oregonians at all. Most of the people that I tell about my living arrangement, and that I spend half the month in Portland, make comments like "I heard Portland is really great" or "I've GOT to get up there someday." The only negative (if you want to call it that) comments are like "doesn't it rain all the time there?" to which I reply with a short education about Oregon's climate. I think as Oregon continues to grow and become more diversified the issue of this blog will die a natural death. Less and less of the "hard core" Oregonians that don't like Californians or anyone from anywhere else, will be around in the future. At least let's hope so.....

Old 09-16-2009, 07:23 PM
ccl

1 posts, read 4,403 times
Pretty true!
*born and raised Oregon native*

Old 11-18-2009, 09:37 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,044,672 times
I thought the OP of the newest "Do Oregonians Hate Californians" thread might find some responses on this thread helpful....
can we combine the two threads???

Old 11-19-2009, 08:30 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,449,584 times
I've seen the statement time and time again that "most Oregonians are from out of state anyways".........
This may hold true in Bend, Portland and the I5 corridor, but I don't know about the rest of the state. Especially the smaller towns and rural areas.

Don't ask, don't tell.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM

109 posts, read 172,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
LOL!! Inadvertantly came across this thread. I am laughing because of three reasons. One, a HUGE number of "Oregonians" are transplanted Californians within two generations back. Two, the emigration of Californians and others to Oregon, Colorado, Washington, Idaho, etc. has boostd their economies and added to hundreds of thousands of jobs and economic diversification. Three, many California communities decry the increase of non-California natives in exactly the same way.

To everyone: GET over it!! Instead, work on building healthy communities that are robust to shifts in migration.

S
P.S. The Boston comment was hilarious and the most far-fetched. Boston is a town of immigrants from all over. Unlike the Paciic NW, Californians are but a small part of their immigration. Far more from NY, the Eastern Seaboard, and overseas...
LOL!! I agree, "Get OVER it! I moved to Venice Beach, CA for the last 7 years and made some money to bring home and spend here! Haven't changed my plates back yet, so the " ignant" folk ought be careful whose car they go keying!

Seriously though, people move all over the country and it's fun. I'm going to shoot on down to Knoxville next and live for awhile. Very excited. Only the select few can beat SAD anyways and actually stay here in the NW, why get all worked up.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsterner View Post
Don't act like you know more and have seen more then us, in otherwords don't be condescending towards Oregonians, alot of Californians are.

The key to this whole thread is right there.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:51 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,535 times
Maybe 20 or 30 years ago, but nowadays, most Oregonians (including myself) ARE Californians too!

Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Maybe 20 or 30 years ago, but nowadays, most Oregonians (including myself) ARE Californians too!
Yeah, but I believe that is only true in the more populated areas like Portland and along the I5 and I84 corridors.
And once you get over the mountains and away from the Bend area, it's a whole different Oregon out there.
There are still places in Oregon that believe Californians are akin to invading martians.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:12 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Yeah, but I believe that is only true in the more populated areas like Portland and along the I5 and I84 corridors.
And once you get over the mountains and away from the Bend area, it's a whole different Oregon out there.
There are still places in Oregon that believe Californians are akin to invading martians.
Where? Like... John Day? Condon? Fossil? Paisley? Joseph? Maybe...

My parents moved to Lakeview from LA almost 40 years ago and they did just fine there, of all places. They made friends, got jobs, and the whole shebang. Of course they moved up here with the attitude of making this state their home, and of assimilating to their new Oregon way of life and were open to the idea that Oregonians weren't a bunch of backwards yokels.

I'd say all of Western Oregon and Central Oregon has been thoroughly exposed to outsiders, especially Californians and other Westerners, in the past several decades.

I really doubt anyone actually "hates" Californians. My other Oregonian friends (natives or only born somewhere else, and raised here) and I like to crack jokes (admittedly sometimes a little mean-spirited) about California and Californians when we're together, but most of us have family or friends from or some connection to somewhere in California, and we don't really have any true ill-feelings. We just are thankful that we live in a place as great as Oregon and understand the appeal.

Most Oregonians don't hate Californians. They're old news. We have to worry more about New Yorkers and Ohioans and Michiganders now that the word is out nationwide. Easterners are the invading martians now... At least the Californians are more laid back, friendly, green, polite, and West Coastish than most of the Easterners...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland