Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 PM

639 posts, read 1,595,665 times

Advertisements

I've heard some parts are worse than others. We want to move to the Beaverton area (thinking closer to Cedar Mill area) and my husband will be working at one of the Apple stores: 2 in Tigard area, 1 at pioneer place. I told him that any of them should be o.k. but to try to get one of the Tigard ones. Coming from the Beaverton side, which freeway should we avoid?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,094,906 times
Before I retired from the security business, people moving from California into Oregon was good for my business. Most of the people moving here from California wanted a burglar and fire alarm system installed in their home, sometimes before they moved in to their new house. Oregonians weren't so quick to buy because we didn't have as much serious crime here as California had. However, Californians moving to the area where I live made real estate go up making it harder for locals to buy homes. I think some Oregonians think Californians screwed up their own state, now they want to move to Oregon and do the same think. I'm retired now, and I don't like Californians moving to Oregon, but I've developed some close friendships with former Californians. But, most of them don't have the typical California mindset.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 PM

639 posts, read 1,595,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Before I retired from the security business, people moving from California into Oregon was good for my business. Most of the people moving here from California wanted a burglar and fire alarm system installed in their home, sometimes before they moved in to their new house. Oregonians weren't so quick to buy because we didn't have as much serious crime here as California had. However, Californians moving to the area where I live made real estate go up making it harder for locals to buy homes. I think some Oregonians think Californians screwed up their own state, now they want to move to Oregon and do the same think. I'm retired now, and I don't like Californians moving to Oregon, but I've developed some close friendships with former Californians. But, most of them don't have the typical California mindset.
that's all I'm saying; if you want to move to Oregon, become an Oregonian. Don't try to make Oregon into another California.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:43 AM

92 posts, read 350,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
I've heard some not-so-nice stories circulating. As in, cars getting keyed and worse. This all just sounds so silly to me that I can't even fathom it.

Discuss.
Wannabe. First of all, are you a Californian? If so, then you guys really need to step outside of the boundaries of your state and see how other NORMAL people behave.

I hate to sound like I'm flaming, but I used to live in the L.A. area because I have attended and graduated from a college in the L.A. area (Occidental).

I grew up in both Seattle and Hawaii. I was yet to experience the SHOCK of cultural experiences living in L.A.

You see, Wannabe, people in L.A. tend to have this snobby, a--hole, arrogant and fake demeanor that I could never stand.

At first, I thought I needed to do some adjusting while living in L.A. (or what I call smell-A).

Then I realized that people only wanted to be friends with you to "use you" because of something they can leech off of you.

I also hated the way people drove in L.A. They drive super fast, tailgate you, drive with their high beam headlights on at night, cut you off if you signal to change lanes.

Furthermore, the Californians who move to the Pacific Northwest carry their "me me me" only attitude with them. Mainly the ones from L.A. (you can tell by now I really hate SoCal people).
They tend to build houses and summer homes where ever they please to do so pissing the locals off.

Heck, I've heard of horror stories from real estate friends back in Tacoma, WA of Californians just "using" them to drive them around town for "free" transportation. WTF?

They also bring their crazy a--hole driving technique to Washington State or Oregon that also pisses the locals off.
Tailgating, cutting people off, not letting people merge or change lanes, flicking the middle finger as a common practice, etc.

Perhaps you Californians need to take a look in the mirror before you criticize the folks in the Pacific Northwestern states of "hating" on you.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I'll admit to a few angry anti-Californian moments. But I'll tell you, they all happen in traffic. And they're no different than the ant-Washingtonian moments. Or just the plain old, anti-idiot driver-moments. When I have someone tailgating me, or driving up my backside at twice the speed limit ... as they blow by me, and I can see they have out of state plates ... I'll give it an exasperated "pfft .... Californain." Which, I guess, is a lot better than the name I'd probably call the guy with the Oregon plates.

^^ Definitely a damn Californian doing that tailgating sh-t on you.

Most of them are from the L.A area though.

I've been to San Fran and the general Bay Area, and people in Northern California aren't as aggressive like the d-bags of L.A.

That's one major reason I dislike the snobby arrogant Californians moving to Oregon, or Washington State, where I grew up.
They tend to speed, drive recklessly, deliberately cut you off when you want to merge lanes, etc.

Also be careful when doing business with Californians, esp the ones from L.A. They tend to break their contracts and be flakes.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Person View Post
If you're Republican, I wouldn't move here...
There's a bunch of Obama loving terrorists here, you wouldn't feel at home.
Dude, that's only in the Portland area. If you travel to eastern Oregon, it's more red/conservative republican out there.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:55 AM

501 posts, read 1,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
I've heard some parts are worse than others. We want to move to the Beaverton area (thinking closer to Cedar Mill area) and my husband will be working at one of the Apple stores: 2 in Tigard area, 1 at pioneer place. I told him that any of them should be o.k. but to try to get one of the Tigard ones. Coming from the Beaverton side, which freeway should we avoid?
That is a relatively short distance from home to work. The highway route from CM to Tigard is Sunset Hwy to Hwy 217, but depending on where the Apple store is, there are quite a few other roads you could take and avoid the highways all together if things were piled up there. Of course, sometimes those "back roads" get pretty jammed too, depending on what other businesses are there, ie I used to take a back road route that went from nice to backed up, once Intel moved into the area.

I am not sure that the commute to Pioneer Place would be all that much worse if you went straight down Sunset, but it would be harder to find back roads to take to Portland that wouldn't take a lot longer to drive, even if there was less traffic, should the highway grind to a halt. And I don't know if parking is provided for him downtown, if not, that would be another wrinkle. But you know, there are a ton of good places to eat downtown, and pretty parks there too, if that is how it works out Potential downside: I hear there is a lot more serious crime, but I don't know how true that is, as I haven't been downtown recently.

My worst drives were probably because I had to go so far, and with more major highways needed to get to my destination. I mostly went from just beyond North Plains on Sunset to Portland (and god forbid I also needed go beyond on I-84 out to the airport at the wrong time of day). 2-3 days a week I went from North Plains on Sunset to 217, then I-5 to a place beyond Woodburn. If I had to stop around Oregon City, it was worse, because I'd need to leave I-5 and travel down I-205 as well. Blech!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:37 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,472,959 times
Don't drive Cedar Mills to Downtown due to road congestion and limited parking downtown...

Use the MAX light rail. Stops right at Pioneer Square, the Apple store is easy walking distance. Cost of MAX is cheap compared to cost of driving, parking, yada, yada, yada.

Phil

Old 04-15-2010, 02:17 PM

682 posts, read 2,416,369 times
Your commute will be about the same either way, driving to the Apple Store in Washington Square (Tigard), or Pioneer Place (Portland). I actually agree with Phil on taking the MAX if you work downtown and live in Cedar Mill. You can park at the Willow Creek transit center on 185th Ave, and take the MAX right into Pioneer Square. The total transit time on the MAX will be comparable to driving.

Unfortunately, there aren't really any back roads from that part of Beaverton to get you to Washington Square or Pioneer Square very quickly. If you drove to either, it would take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour (depending on the time of day). Parking isn't a big issue with Washington Square, but it is a huge issue in downtown Portland.

Another option if he wants to work in WS is to look at the Murrayhill neighborhood. The other 'Tigard' store is in the Bridgeport Village, which is probably closer to Tualatin. It's right off I-5. You could look at Tualatin or Sherwood as potential places to live--both are nice, very livable towns.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:56 PM

501 posts, read 1,293,931 times
If the Apple store is in Washington Square, then there aren't any easy back roads to there, so that is a wash. I haven't been to WS for years, and it sounds like a lot has changed there.

I completely forgot about the MAX line, and that is a great idea, if your dh doesn't need it for any reason during the work day. I've never used MAX, because I used my vehicle to transport stuff on a lot of these trips, so I don't know much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland