Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,531 times

Advertisements

Yes, everyone hates us because they watch these shows like the Hills and think that all of California is like this. Yes, we have a bunch of people who got into these bad loans but that’s because the cost of living is so high in CA and people are just trying to make it out here. I don't condone this behavior at all, but it's really irritating that every other state hates CA and has an attitude towards us when we try to move out of the area. It's not our faults that everyone wants to live here and drives the prices up. I tried moving to Portland and got a lot of comments from people, "Oh well that might be how they do it in CA but that’s not how we do it here." bla bla bla. I ended up coming back to CA and really love a lot about it and wish it wasn't so crowded and expensive and over run by illegals. I don't want to come and crowd other people either but I am being forced out of CA so why don't all these other states start complaining about the people who move to CA and force the residences out who can't take it anymore.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:30 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,051,528 times
It's hard to find some one who doesn't live in New York or Cali that likes it. Everything is more pronounced in these places, largely because there are many more people even if the % rates are the same. Plus looking from the outside and seeing the higher rates of congestion, taxes, and arrogant rich idiots beamed to the rest of the country it's hard to find something to like about either.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:54 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Thing is, people just assume that ALL of California and ALL of New York are just like the images in their minds. Upper-Northern Cal, Central San Joaquin Valley, deep-Southern Calif are completely DIFFERENT from San Francisco, San Jose, and the LA thing. I'm sure Upstate New York is a whole other world from the Big Boroughs, too.

Hell, I go home to the central San Joaquin to get relaxation from here!

Old 09-23-2008, 02:44 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 427,936 times
I knew I'd find this again...

There's a tradition (a silly one, in my mind, but an old one) where people come days in advance and duct-tape spots on public streets so they can get better views of the Grand Floral Parade. There was a big kerfuffle over this practice last year, and (http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1739101 - broken link)...

Quote:
Rose Festival fanatics spent the past few days rolling duct tape onto
Portland's sidewalks to reserve front-row seats for Saturday's
Centennial Grand Floral Parade. It's an annual Rose Festival tradition
and, at times, a competition that has led to shoving and shouting.
Commissioner Randy Leonard wants to cut the tape out.

It's unfair, he says, that people from Seattle take away prime spots
from Portlanders who show up on parade day.

"Only a guy born and raised in Portland can do that," Leonard, a
54-year-old native Portlander
, said of his idea....

"It is eminently unfair," he says, that -- according to his scenario --
a fat man in a Hummer with Washington license plates, a gold pinky ring
and a cooler of Budweiser can evict poor kds from inner Northeast
Portland
from the sidewalk.
If a neighboring community had a city councilman who raised objections to (theoretical) Portlanders "on bikes with a bunch of tattoos, stinking of pot and patchouli," he'd rightfully be pilloried as ignorant and intolerant.

So, Californians, it's not just you: to a number of native Portlanders, including those in city government, it's Gresham, and Hillsboro, and Vancouver, and anyone else who is Other.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:57 PM

24 posts, read 96,659 times
Default Just don't think about it!

I was raised in Southern California..and I lived in Oregon for a while....I still go back sometimes to visit because it's beautiful!
It's not soo bad. I may have heard it handful of times but generally people are very nice in Oregon and don't want to make enemies.
If you don't think about it...you will never see it!

Old 09-28-2008, 12:59 AM

25 posts, read 78,738 times
I currently live in CA, but visit OR periodically and intend to move to PDX within two years. I personally don't experience the hostility in Portland that other "outsiders" claim. In fact, I experience the opposite. When I mention I plan to move to OR, I typically hear things like "Good move, you're going to like it here."

Old 09-28-2008, 12:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
"Oh well that might be how they do it in CA but that’s not how we do it here." bla bla bla.
LOL! I heard that more than once about Chicago when I first moved here. But really in my own experience with the exception of the ongoing "Californians raise the price of housing" which I still sometimes hear from my native friends, I really don't hear any other negatory comments about Californians or any other transplants.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:45 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
LOL! I heard that more than once about Chicago when I first moved here. But really in my own experience with the exception of the ongoing "Californians raise the price of housing" which I still sometimes hear from my native friends, I really don't hear any other negatory comments about Californians or any other transplants.
Yep I spent 5 months there just outside Gold Beach, Or managing a compground for a friend ( wealthy Californian Realestate investor !). i had to change my California vehicle plates, they were going to expire in 18 days so i changed to Or. License and plates. As an employee i had no problems . Was welcomed really well! Now on the other hand my BOSS , who still had and kept his California plates got HELL all the time , things like money ,money thats all Californians think of , the local campers and fishing guides really gave him a hard time and probably hurt his business. While I on the other hand was shown a welcome that would make you think you had gone to heaven . Invites to dinner , help with things at the campground as would a neighbor in most places, then the owner would come into the picture and their maners were no where to be found . They just hate the fact that the money and idea's that a Californian brings to Or. make it inpossiable for Or. natives to afford homes and property and that makes them MAD! But all and all Oregon is a "GREAD PLACE" Love to get back there as much as I can .

Old 09-28-2008, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 27,678 times
First off:
If I meet 10 Californians , 9 of them are stuck up wastes of oxygen. This is not a case of a few bad apples spoiled it for the bunch , this is a case of bad apples spoiled it for the few good ones.

Sorry people , I just call it like I see it.

Second: If Oregon is California's Canada , Guess what...... and this would make a great bumper sticker by the way.

"California , Oregons Mexico"

Old 09-28-2008, 01:36 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
I live in California, own property in Oregon and have make frequent trips to the state for quite a few years. I have done business all over the state and I have never experienced any ill will in any form, anywhere in the state.,
I think its more urban myth than reality. Some people just like to sound tough, some like to tell tall tales. It makes no difference where one is from, it's the character of the person that matters...
As far as Californians raising the property value, yea, it would be terrible for someone to make your property more valuable... I hate it when someone puts money in my pocket. Anyone with that attitude needs some lessons in finance, but it's most likely a few sore heads, who, if they didn't hate people from California, they would find another outlet for their hate.
Remember, once you move from California to Oregon, you are now an Oregonian and you can officially hate Californians.... Great logic, right..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland