Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 03:13 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It was my observation while living in Portland that while many but certainly not all California transplants raised property prices by offering more than Oregonians could afford to Oregonians who accepted their offers did change Portland in that respect. But I began seeing the biggest changes when Easterners started moving to Portland in large numbers.

It's kind of difficult to describe but it seemed there came with them different needs and demands and they brought with them a sort of Eastern way of thinking and wants that they transplanted to Portland.

I am not saying that's a good or bad thing; just different. Cities change as their inhabitants change. They are defined by who lives there. So what might be considered as a "Portland thing" today might be different according to different people depending upon who is defining it and what their background might be.

I think the show "Portlandia" is a good example of that. One half of the team that writes it is a New Yorker. He sees Portland in a different light than many Portlanders but the same as others. I know people who insist "That's not us" but others who insist "That's soPortland."

Having lived in Chicago for the first half of my life, I saw all kinds of lifestyles and changes. Chicago was and is a true melting pot of many cultures and ideas. So the changes I saw in Portland for me had more of a western vibe at first with the Californians which wasn't so different from what was there already but the biggest changes seemed to come from back East.

Just my take on it. And it's why I don't "blame' Californian's for completely changing Portland. It's been a mix of transplants. Changes happen over time when people are involved, period. But then originally being from Chicago, what do I know?
Many East coasters that I meet in Portland never adjust to the West coast way of life. It's hard to leave "the center of the universe" to find out that people born and raised out West just don't care that they are from( inject East Coast seaboard city). East coasters tell you they are from their home city or state within the first five minutes upon meeting new people like its a badge of honor. Then they ask you, "what do you do?", like they need to put you in a category so they can "figure you out". It's so transparent. These are generalizations but there is truth to them. And yes, as a Californian, I DO think Californians can be flaky. Some of us can laugh at ourselves.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:21 PM

320 posts, read 417,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Beaverton has so many CA transplants and my old neighborhood in Portland was filled with people who came from The Golden State. Hate is hate. If you meet someone that doesn't like you based on your home state, which you will, of course, then move on. Oregon is a place like any where else. There are small minded people all over the world and you aren't going to change them. You will find your group of friends once you are settled here. Just don't talk endlessly about In And Out Burgers! Please! I am from SF and only have had one in my whole life. It's a burger, for goodness sakes! We have those in the PNW, too! Ok, I am done.. Welcome!
Thanks Yankeemama. It's funny you mention In n out, as we had it for lunch today! I just said to my kids, "I am going miss In n Out, but we'll be fine. There are plenty of great burger places in Portland". I promise I won't complain about it once I'm there!

I'm not really too worried about what people think to tell you the truth. It would just be nice if it wasn't an issue. I don't think it really will be. As you said, small minded people are unavoidable no matter where you go. Usually I just laugh at the comments and haven't said much about it in the last 5 years here on City Data. I just feel it's been brought up A LOT lately and got a little irritated with some of the stereotypes. Is there some truth to them....yes. Some of them even make me laugh! Just felt like venting a little due to a few over the top ignorant comments I've read lately. I'm done now! Mostly I'm just excited and can't wait to get there! 9 months seems like forever!

Old 09-15-2015, 05:30 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,652 times
What Oregonians hate about Californians is the pretentiousness they bring. And when it comes in large numbers, it becomes a bunch of rich pretentious Californians changing Oregon to suit their needs.

It's suffocating.

Californian: "I can't believe what a value this place is, we got a home for only 300k the same thing would have cost us 700k in Santa San Los Rancho whatever California"
Oregonian: " Oh, that's great" Translated :<a depressive sinking feeling> followed by ...300k is cheap? eff you.

Californian: "I love the area it's so quaint, I just wish there was> a bit more to do/better restaurant choices/better entertainment"
Oregonian: "Yep, it's a bit smaller of a city" Translated: <anger rising> then go back to precious Cali... oh wait you can't, you got priced out... so **** about living in the "bay area."

Californian: "I mean we didn't get priced out, we still had a 800k home in Palomar Park and 3 BMWs we could have stayed but it was just so much, I mean not that we couldn't afford it, Jeff worked for Intellitech for 150k a year, we... just thought maybe we could save some money.... not that we didn't have enough money saved... We had enough money we didn't have to move.

Oregonian: <words are not needed>

Californian: "I used to live in Berkley, and we used to Berkley in Berkley, and the university Berkley 49ers Joe Montana 1989 earthquake world series farmers market diversity eco dog park throne of civilization research Berkley blah blah blah"

O..r if they are from so cal. "I used to live in Newport Beach, and we would Orange county at the in n out by the beach on the board walk right where whatever stupid OC MTV show Fashion Island Mercedes when my dad worked for Oracle and we had house on surfing and sunbathing sharks sunny and 80 all the time blah blah....

Oregonian: "uh hu, yep, no I'm listening, oh yeah, very impressive"

Californian: Man it's beautiful......I mean it's not Yosemite or the high sierras you know, altitude, Mt. Whitney is like 5000 ft higher than Mt Hood, I thought the trees would be bigger. blah blah blah.

Oregonian: <thinking> the requisite high sierras mt. climbing story with the slight diss on the height of Oregon's mountains and tree sizes...

My favorite is when two Californians meet for a pretentious off.

Californian one: "We used to live in Costa Mesa" Californian two "Oh yeah we sold our old house on Balboa Island to move here." Californian one <defeated by more pretentious Californian> "Yeah, my uncle had a house in Dana Point, such a beautiful view"

Oregoninans: <disinterested, disconnected, staring off into space> "Let's get some smokes"

To me there are two types of Californians: The ones who don't want to leave California and their minds are stuck in California, and the ones who have said were in Oregon now we are going to be Oregonians we are not going back to California there is nothing there for us.

I find we have too many of the former.

My "hate" of California comes after living in two heavily Californian states. Here and Arizona, and every time I meet a Californian, they have the same 5 things to talk about. California, California, California, California and California. I also find that Californians talk down to people not from there and expect other to be impressed they are from California.

But... Its not limited to Californians. New Yorkers are notorious for this too.

"I'm from New York" " I lived in Manhattan" " I used to hang out in central park" <aren't you impressed>

And they always act like there is no way on Earth you could have possibly ever been to these places.

If I say I have been to New York City 3 times (which, I have unfortunately) The conversation turns to did you see this did you see that did you do this did you do that, well you should have done this. Man you went there? That's terrible you should have gone here instead.

And that accent....

In the end we are just mad about home values and rent increases..... that's all I'm trying to say.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
What Oregonians hate about Californians is the pretentiousness they bring. And when it comes in large numbers, it becomes a bunch of rich pretentious Californians changing Oregon to suit their needs.

It's suffocating.

Californian: "I can't believe what a value this place is, we got a home for only 300k the same thing would have cost us 700k in Santa San Los Rancho whatever California"
Oregonian: " Oh, that's great" Translated :<a depressive sinking feeling> followed by ...300k is cheap? eff you.

Californian: "I love the area it's so quaint, I just wish there was> a bit more to do/better restaurant choices/better entertainment"
Oregonian: "Yep, it's a bit smaller of a city" Translated: <anger rising> then go back to precious Cali... oh wait you can't, you got priced out... so **** about living in the "bay area."

Californian: "I mean we didn't get priced out, we still had a 800k home in Palomar Park and 3 BMWs we could have stayed but it was just so much, I mean not that we couldn't afford it, Jeff worked for Intellitech for 150k a year, we... just thought maybe we could save some money.... not that we didn't have enough money saved... We had enough money we didn't have to move.

Californian: "I used to live in Berkley, and we used to Berkley in Berkley, and the university Berkley 49ers Joe Montana 1989 earthquake world series farmers market diversity eco dog park throne of civilization research Berkley blah blah blah"

O..r if they are from so cal. "I used to live in Newport Beach, and we would Orange county at the in n out by the beach on the board walk right where whatever stupid OC MTV show Fashion Island Mercedes when my dad worked for Oracle and we had house on surfing and sunbathing sharks sunny and 80 all the time blah blah....

Californian: Man it's beautiful......I mean it's not Yosemite or the high sierras you know, altitude, Mt. Whitney is like 5000 ft higher than Mt Hood, I thought the trees would be bigger. blah blah blah.

Oregonian: <thinking> the requisite high sierras mt. climbing story with the slight diss on the height of Oregon's mountains and tree sizes...

Californian one: "We used to live in Costa Mesa" Californian two "Oh yeah we sold our old house on Balboa Island to move here." Californian one <defeated by more pretentious Californian> "Yeah, my uncle had a house in Dana Point, such a beautiful view"

Oregoninans: <disinterested, disconnected, staring off into space> "Let's get some smokes"

To me there are two types of Californians: The ones who don't want to leave California and their minds are stuck in California, and the ones who have said were in Oregon now we are going to be Oregonians we are not going back to California there is nothing there for us.

My "hate" of California comes after living in two heavily Californian states. Here and Arizona, and every time I meet a Californian, they have the same 5 things to talk about. California, California, California, California and California. I also find that Californians talk down to people not from there and expect other to be impressed they are from California.

"I'm from New York" " I lived in Manhattan" " I used to hang out in central park" <aren't you impressed>

And they always act like there is no way on Earth you could have possibly ever been to these places.

If I say I have been to New York City 3 times (which, I have unfortunately) The conversation turns to did you see this did you see that did you do this did you do that, well you should have done this. Man you went there? That's terrible you should have gone here instead.

And that accent....

In the end we are just mad about home values and rent increases..... that's all I'm trying to say.
Maybe you only meet pretentious people, in general, or maybe you perceive all of these people to be pretentious. Most of the Californians I met in Portland were not talking constantly about the past in CA but yeah, newcomers from the state are still in CA mode. CA and OR are not that different from each other but I can see how Westerners who never venture out in the world have the opinion the two states are so different. You can meet many disgruntled and pissed off Californians who cannot afford to live in their hometown because of all the starry- eyed Americans who want to move to sunny Hollywood so they can become famous. Talk to any real Los Angeles resident who has been bombarded with transplants. Los Angeles is so much bigger than Portland so it's not as obvious that Californians are bitter. The bitterness in Portland is just more evident because the city's neighborhoods are only recently being gentrified. Big cities in CA have dealing with this for decades.

Last edited by Yankeemama; 09-15-2015 at 07:41 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 06:59 PM

69 posts, read 74,642 times
Quote:
Many East coasters that I meet in Portland never adjust to the West coast way of life. It's hard to leave "the center of the universe" to find out that people born and raised out West just don't care that they are from( inject East Coast seaboard city). East coasters tell you they are from their home city or state within the first five minutes upon meeting new people like its a badge of honor. Then they ask you, "what do you do?", like they need to put you in a category so they can "figure you out". It's so transparent. These are generalizations but there is truth to them. And yes, as a Californian, I DO think Californians can be flaky. Some of us can laugh at ourselves.
It's a matter of figuring things out. If there is something that people do here as a custom and an east coaster is told she/he is doing it wrong (example: gas station), they will likely mention where they are from as a means of establishing their naivety. It's not necessarily a "badge of honor" per se.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspence View Post
It's a matter of figuring things out. If there is something that people do here as a custom and an east coaster is told she/he is doing it wrong (example: gas station), they will likely mention where they are from as a means of establishing their naivety. It's not necessarily a "badge of honor" per se.
My dad's family on the East coast have always told strangers, not from the East coast, that they are from NY or NJ and I noticed this common declaration from residents of any East Coast state while I lived on the East coast. West coasters just operate differently, in general.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:09 PM

69 posts, read 74,642 times
Quote:
My dad's family on the East coast have always told strangers, not from the East coast, that they are from NY or NJ and I noticed this common declaration from residents of any East Coast state while I lived on the East coast. West coasters just operate differently, in general.
Perhaps I'm off on this one. Maybe it is a culture on that side to state where you're from for some reason. It is strange hearing it. I wonder if they do that in central Europe because so many names have the term "Von" or "Van" in them, meaning from.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:32 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post

It's suffocating.

And that accent....

If someone wants to generalize or play the broad stereotype game, Oregonians are sort of known for having a chip on their shoulder and being nice but not friendly and often passive aggressive and insular and also sometimes unable to take any criticism of the state on any level, but I've found a wide range of personality types of people born in this state in reality(from very smart and worldly to sort of narrow-minded). Just like there's a lot of different types of people in California or from California considering there's 38 million people there.

Oregon is a nice state but sometimes it seems like it needs to get the hell over itself, it's not that unique in that people move here from other US states... Also I met people from Oregon when I was living in Boston who liked to talk constantly about how great things were back home in Oregon--though no one got offended by it. Almost everyone likes to talk about where they're originally from.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 09-15-2015 at 07:45 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 11:25 PM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,127 times
I can't recall any Californian on this forum talk in any pretentious manner about California or their time there. I've seen Oregonians/Portlanders talk about how long they've lived here or how they were born and raised here, even often times when it seems superfluous and out of context. And I've met plenty enough Oregonians who beam with pride when talking about how they were born in Portland and lived here all there lives, as if that's really any sort of great accomplishment. Not that one should be ashamed of it in any way. But, I just don't see the accident of birth and the coincidence of where it might have happened to be anything to take great pride in.

However, I can certainly appreciate anyone who is proud of their community, regardless of where that is. But often times, some "native" Portlanders seem to genuinely think that outsiders should be impressed with their long term status as residents. I see that a LOT more than I see pretentious "outsider" behavior. In the end, no one really cares where someone else was born or lived. It isn't any accomplishment whatsoever. We all live but a blink of an eye from the perspective of time and all of us will eventually be forgotten. If people need to feed their own egos based on economic, social or "native" status (as if any White Portlander is actually native to this region) or whatever, that says a lot more about their own inferiority complex than anything else. And that would apply equally to Oregonians or Californians or whomever else.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:55 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
The problem is more like:

I'm here now, so no more trees can be cut. I've never grown so much as a potted cactus, but I know more about maintaining a forest than the people who have been taking care of the forest for a couple of centuries.

I could pump my own gas in California and I am much too important to wait 45 seconds to have an attendent pump my gas, so I demand to have the law changed so I can have everything my own way and to hell with the 160,000 people who will lose their jobs.

My children went to a Chinese Emersion School in California and I demand the same program here.

A new tax? Yes, I will vote for that. I demand the expensive programs I had in California.

There is a housing shortage. Remove the Urban Growth Boundary so Portland Can Sprawl Like Los Angeles. We like the nice local vegetables and the pretty forest, but it won't hurt anything to pave it all over with little tract houses.

All the people who live outside of Portland are uneducated, toothless, stupid, and subhuman. Therefore, it's perfectly ok to pass laws that destroy their lifestyle, never mind that I've never grown so much as a potted cactus, I am still qualified to pass laws about agriculture.

Everything I know about wildlife, I learned from watching Walt Disney and I am an expert on feeding cat food to all the area racoons 'cause they are so cute and cuddly.

I ride a bicycle and therefore nobody should be allowed to have a car, so let's remove all the parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland