Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 04:05 AM

7 posts, read 31,026 times

Advertisements

hello everyone, i just moved to tualatin from mississippi and its a BIG culture shock. its very nice except one problem....I CANT GET A JOB. i have had plenty of interviews and countless phone calls but when they ask that dying question.....yep you guessed it im a felon. most of the jobs i applied for hire felons just NON VIOLENT felons which im not a non violent felon. ive only been arested one time and it was for breaking and entering, and grand theft. long story short.......broke up with my g/f i wanted my ****, she wouldnt give it back so i broke(used the key) in OUR house to get it back. yea i admitted i went into the house i only had to do 3 years probation seeing that it was my only time getting into trouble. i had adjudication withheld against me to help me get a job and it doesnt help. like ive said i have had plenty of phone calls and interviews but when i say im a felon they just give me the we'll give you a call line. ive even posted a little of my resume on craigslistto see what kinda calls i would get. being in mississippi i had no problem getting a job because most of the jobs only searched statewide and the crime happened in fl. im not a bitter person and saying what i did wasnt wrong i i want someone to feel sorry i just want to know if anybody could help me with job references or places i should look for a job. i tried temp services but their just as shaky to hire a felon as the employer. since this incident i have went back to school and held a job with the city from the city i moved from i also have good references i just dont know what to do anymore. thanks for the advice if you have any.

heres the link to my resume on craigslist its been modified since then.

labor,warehouse,construction, give me a call! (http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/res/836061616.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 11:18 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I think everyone in that area is suffering. You have to realize the economy has shed more then 800,000 jobs dealing with manufacturing, warehousing, and construction since January because of the housing dump.

I would suggest finding a job in another area, the housing mess and related problems are going to be going on for years.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:40 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Have you tried the Clackamas area, around the Highway 212 x SE 136th area? Maybe, knocking door-to-door will turn up something. There seems to be a lot of warehouse type jobs around there. Just a thought...

I wish you luck, but subsound is correct. You'd be better off looking for work in another field.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
The job market is tight; really, really tight. This is not a good time to be jub hunting here. Jobs such as those as you describe are the most difficult to get because everyone wants them. I think people in the professions; doctors or nurses have better luck.
There are just so many people here looking for work that people with Phd's and MBA's are tending bars and pumping gas. I don't think your felony record is as much as a deciding factor as that there are just not enough jobs to go around and layoffs are becoming all too common.
I wish you luck. I hate to see anyone unemployed but the reality is until the economy gets better your chances won't get better. But you just might find yourself in the right place at the right time and it will happen for you.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:29 AM

7 posts, read 31,026 times
THANX FOR ALL THE ADVICE YOU 3!!! i did notice in the sunday paper that there are a lot of white collar jobs available like you said. so maybe its time to go back to school again and see if i can take up some comp science classes. besides in the future basically everything is gonna be ran by computers anyway might as well get a head start!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:08 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
I'm really not trying to be a smart ass but I'd really like to know where the Phds and MBAs are pumping gas at. I've yet to see anyone even remotely scholarly pumping gas, usually it's someone who looks straight out of detox.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:21 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I'm really not trying to be a smart ass but I'd really like to know where the Phds and MBAs are pumping gas at. I've yet to see anyone even remotely scholarly pumping gas, usually it's someone who looks straight out of detox.
No smart ass. It's a good question.

I don't believe people who have these jobs look like they are straight out of detox. I know I can't tell just by looking at people who are in these jobs whether or not they are scholarly but they certainly don't all look like they are straight out of detox. They appear to me to look like any one else.

Anyhoo my comment about Phds and MBAs are simply people I have read about and met when I was in an older person's employment group several years ago. I can't give you names and addresses but they used to tell stories about how many educated and degreed people took these jobs because that was all they could get. Hopefully it was intended to be temporary.

When one has been laid off as often as I have, one hears about all kinds of people doing all kinds of things to make ends meet.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:45 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I'm not sure if I've seen an MBA pumping gas without doing something really bad, but I have seen people who get their Ph.D. in something useless serving coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland