Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:26 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 428,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I think a lot of people see it as it being "our" corner of the country and not "yours". I don't feel that way, but I can definitely understand it. I mean, it kind of is their right if they were born there, right?
How far does this extend? The city? The state? Your block?

I'm sure there are thousands of people who grew up in Manhattan who can no longer afford the exorbitant prices. It might be "their" corner of the country, and it's a shame that they can't afford it any longer, but that certainly doesn't give them the "right" to live there.

No, I don't agree. As long as someone's not breaking any laws, he or she is free to live wherever he or she wants or can afford. That's rather the whole point of America.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Default Bluesbabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
If you want to feel like your talking to a wall try explaining to a native new yorker how great the pacific northwest and far northern california is..How pretty and laid back it is...I'm married to a new york native and have had to do this many times and sadly they just don't get it.
I just returned from almost two weeks in New York, and I really, really don't think New Yorkers care how laid back somewhere else is. It is a humongous city that is so full of LIFE, and culture, and its people truly loves it as it is, accepts their pace and style as it is. I felt very energized being among them. They're not missing a thing and they know it.

However ~ California and Oregon have NOTHING on New York when it comes to traffic! Cars encroach through pedestrian right-of-ways, people jay-walk in front of/around cars, and taxis travel in wolf-packs. And what I found most fascinating about it all, is that it is accepted and tolerated. In all the time I was there I never a "finger" shoot up once, not once.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 AM

141 posts, read 646,665 times
Actually I think the people in far northern California actually hate the rest of California probably more than people in Oregon dislike Californians. As far as Californians hating Oregonians, well you do drive slow when you're down here but other than that I don't think anyone in California would even be able to tell if a person was from Oregon and I don't see why there would be any prejudice.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:43 AM

141 posts, read 646,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Denver is not great either, the areas that are bad are much worse while the areas that are nice I think are in better shape. In choosing between the two is like choosing between bad and terrible.
I'm curious what you mean by this.. I was just in Denver and it seemed like a safe, pleasant place overall, I can't imagine there are many, if any cities in the U.S. that would be safer overall to live in, compared to cities like those in California, Phoenix, Kansas (Wichita: really trashy) Texas cities, even Salt Lake City (which seemed kind of trashy to me) I guess maybe you prefer a smaller town.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 AM

216 posts, read 910,020 times
Quote:
I think most people believe to live and do well in a huge city like LA, New York, and Chicago you pretty much have to be hyper aggressive to get through your day. Fighting through a sea of people and cars while dealing with the aggravations just to get to work and home, then comes in any other family crap to deal with. I've known a few people that meet that measure, and are from the big metropolises, while the people from smaller communities tend to be more laid back.

My thinking is that pretty much everyone is getting more and more frustrated, impatient, and aggressive all around. It may have started in the big cities and moved out with the people decades ago, but it's pretty much ingrained where ever you go now. Portland always had this rep of being laid back and generally polite, but it's the same now in that respect. This week, which sucks since it's only Tuesday, I've already nearly been nearly rammed twice by other cars while driving, rammed while walking across the street (the person gave me a "Get the **** out of my way" for good measure), and watched 2 instances where people had stuck their heads in a persons car to scream at them for being oblivious retards. All had Oregon plates from what I could see.

It's a cultural epidemic now, not a regional or city. Everyone is stressed, frustrated, besieged by rude/inconsiderate people, and always short on time...and even 1 in 10 people taking it out on those around them will ruin that persons day, or even week.
Exactly! I do not believe it's an "Oregon thing", Californians, or New Yorkers, acting this way because of where they are from, it's a EVERYWHERE thing! You can escape from the rudeness, lack of consideration, and so on, but you will deal with it all over again where ever you end up! Sad, but true.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
Taboo...those people are few and far in between. Not any more frequent than other stereotypes you hear on other states. Would you let rumors that "everyone in Alabama is married to a family member" really stop you from moving there? Or "everyone in California is stuck up, rich and blonde" would you believe that? Thats my whole point on starting this thread. Theres a few posters who enjoy nothing more than to spread nasty rumors and try to convince other readers that Oregon is a horrid place filled with spiteful and vengeful people. Ya, theres some, where isnt there? But for the majority, people are just fine here, friendly and helpful.
Ive never experienced roadrage like subsound is describing, and Ive lived here all my life. Including living and working directly downtown in Portland. ya, ive had the occasional jerk flip me off, or refuse to let me in while driving, but much much more often, is it just a typical no drama drive.
Ive driven in California during rushhour, and experienced BOTH. I was in tears from some (including someone who held up a gun!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!) but also had the benifit of a superfriendly truck driver who hailed me on a cd and not only helped me negotiate traffic I was struggling in ,but also actually lead me to the and up the off ramp I needed, even though it cost him extra miles. But IM not going to base my opinion on the entire state on the scary and mean ones. I just figure theres BOTH, just like most everywhere.
Maybe Im just extrememly fortunate, but the majority of the people ive encountered here in Oregon are friendly and great. Regardless of where they hailed from. And believe me, theres a mix!
I AGREE WITH THIS 100%!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times
Quote:
I think most people believe to live and do well in a huge city like LA, New York, and Chicago you pretty much have to be hyper aggressive to get through your day. Fighting through a sea of people and cars while dealing with the aggravations just to get to work and home, then comes in any other family crap to deal with. I've known a few people that meet that measure, and are from the big metropolises, while the people from smaller communities tend to be more laid back.

My thinking is that pretty much everyone is getting more and more frustrated, impatient, and aggressive all around. It may have started in the big cities and moved out with the people decades ago, but it's pretty much ingrained where ever you go now. Portland always had this rep of being laid back and generally polite, but it's the same now in that respect. This week, which sucks since it's only Tuesday, I've already nearly been nearly rammed twice by other cars while driving, rammed while walking across the street (the person gave me a "Get the **** out of my way" for good measure), and watched 2 instances where people had stuck their heads in a persons car to scream at them for being oblivious retards. All had Oregon plates from what I could see.

It's a cultural epidemic now, not a regional or city. Everyone is stressed, frustrated, besieged by rude/inconsiderate people, and always short on time...and even 1 in 10 people taking it out on those around them will ruin that persons day, or even week.
Yes, but it seems many people with Oregon license plates were formerly Californians. Maybe these hyper-aggressive drivers you saw were ex-Cali folks.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Yes, but it seems many people with Oregon license plates were formerly Californians. Maybe these hyper-aggressive drivers you saw were ex-Cali folks.
I for one know MANY Oregon natives who drive CRAZY up here. So it is not fair to just assume they are from California!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:20 PM

246 posts, read 1,073,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
For pretty much the entire time Ive been on City Data Forum, I have been fighting the "Everyone in Oregon Hates Everyone From California" the threads, the posts, the DMs....
Personally, Im so tired of being lumped in again and again in these posts/threads about how EVERYONE in Oregon hates EVERYONE from California...Ive posted about how my best friend is from So. Cal, my step mom born/raised So. Cal., my neighbors who are my kids honorary grandparents are from California. Dear friends, good aqaintences and the like....many from California.
About how my family has lived here in Oregon for generations, noone in my family is "anti-california" heck, we marry em! (sometimes..lol)
Ive gotten DMs from people INSISTING that no matter what I post, that no, i must really and truly hate people who are from California.....that I must be very rude and whatnot in person to people from California, no matter what I say in my posts. Ive tried over and over and over, to say "Look, myself, my family, and pretty much everyone I know, could really care less about where people move from. Whether it be California, or Guam...who cares? It doesnt matter to the majority of people. Ive tried to tell others that where theres gonna be the occasional jerk, who will say something rude to you because you mention youve lived somewhere else, the majority will say "oh wow, I lived 30miles away from there", or "My son lives there" or maybe "How neat! Ive always wanted to go there, how do you like living in Oregon?" That the only ones really getting told "GO BACK!!" to are those who sit here and say "Oh, Oregon is just a backward dump, everyone here is a redneck and nothing here can compare to even the worst part of California" or "California is so much better than Oregon, we just moved here because we could sell our teeny house for X.XX and get a huge house for even less! If only we could be in California instead" "Oregon is a pit and California is Paradise" THATS when youre gonna offend someone and get told "If you hate Oregon so much, if California is SO much better, GO BACK!"
Otherwise, MOST people are friendly and helpful.
But no matter how much I try to be friendly, welcoming, helpful, or hopeful, I get shut down and shut out. Im overwhelmed by the threads of people posting "EVERYONE in Oregon hates EVERYONE from California" For some reason, many people dont want to hear the positive. Ive been shocked and dismayed at some of the responses Ive gotten. Why do so many people insist on hearing and believing the worst?
Its just like those posts that say "It is dark and rainy for 9straight months in Oregon" and when I post a live webcam that proves different, I get DMs accusing me of photoshopping the blue skies....sigh...
so anyhow, Im hoping that maybe, just maybe someone will read this post and take something good out of it. That rather than thinking as you step over the border line from California into Oregon, that ALL who live here are gonna be hostile, that just maybe, you come here w/a positive attitude, youre gonna have a positive experience.
That no, not everyone in Oregon hates everyone from California. Not even close. No more than Everyone from California has had major plastic surgery and boobs the size of award winning watermelons.

Oh, come on, Tiff! I know you hate me! LOL!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:03 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
Youre a goose!!! lol You know darn well youre listed in my "dear friends" catagory...(as is my fellow coos bayer and former out of stater SunSpots)
You know my gripe though....DONT LET THE DOOM AND GLOOMERS TAKE OVER!! lol I wanted to start this thread as kind of a 'dont base "all oregonians" on .. cuz someone you know said someone they know said everyone in Oregon hates everyone from California" A neither where nor there type of thread trying to point out its truly a moot point here in Oregon for the most part. YOU know, right? youve been here awhile now and besides that one cranky old bat, any other problems of "GO AWAY WE ALL HATE YOU" or has most people been more friendly?
btw, do you hate me cuz im born/raised here? i know you do.....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland