Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM

154 posts, read 688,616 times

Advertisements

I assume crime-wise that West Linn and Lake Oswego are pretty safe all the way around. But are there areas that are not so nice to live ( for example, strip mall-ish or just remote, etc.)? I'm looking to rent in either area and would be at the lower end of the housing budget there (but needs to be kid-frinedly). Since I'm out of state, I'm trying to discern if there are areas or neighborhoods that may have West Linn and Lake Oswego addresses but arent very nice.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
I think that depends on where you are moving from. IMO, no, there are no very bad areas of either town, even in the lower end of the housing budget arena. I just can't think of any ~

There are no longer remote areas of either town. Lake Oswego addresses range from Highway 43 to over by I-5; West Linn is a bit more spread out, being right on Highway 43 (aka Willamette Drive), the Willamette area of WL (aka Willamette Falls Drive), and the third part is up off of Salamo Road (where City Hall is).

That's a pretty rough sketch, but if you have access to Goggle Street View (such as putting in West Linn City Hall), you can get a taste of the surrounding areas.

Overall, I would have no concerns about either town. Some places are much nicer/safer than others, just depends on your needs and wants.

Keep posting and more folks will jump in with their ideas, as well. Good luck ~

Old 09-24-2008, 03:57 PM

Thanks SeeBee,

We're looking to rent and most of the houses in our budget come up around the River GRove section of Lake Oswego ( SW corner). So I am wondering if that area feels safe or at least semi-attrractive with a nice neighborhood (i.e. kid-friendly) feel.

thanks!

P.S. I'm coming from a major metro area.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:10 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
I don't know how you feel about this sort of thing but since you've got children it's something to consider:

Locals hope to fight back

Old 09-25-2008, 04:54 PM

thanks - I'm not a puritan but it is a little skeezy to have a strip club by a school. interesting!

Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't know how you feel about this sort of thing but since you've got children it's something to consider:

Locals hope to fight back
This place is already open and isnt even in LO. One thing about folks who live here is they can be pretty snobbish and uppity about THEIR city (the lake, the new Walmart going in, a streetcar that could bring in "riff raff" from Portland - all which are kind of ridiculous) and anything that might affect the standard of living here. Dont live in Tualatin near the strip club - problem solved!

Old 06-11-2012, 01:34 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
Dont live in Tualatin near the strip club - problem solved!
I love Tualatin but hate seeing that stupid sign on the highway at the T-S exit. Thankfully we live far away from it.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:38 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
I love Tualatin but hate seeing that stupid sign on the highway at the T-S exit. Thankfully we live far away from it.
And thankfully this place is tucked back amidst some fast food places and parking lots. If it werent for that goofy sign You barely know it was there!

Old 06-15-2012, 04:52 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,547 times
Default Episode of Portlandia waiting to happen: The Ghetto of Lake O

Seriously?!?! Anything in there area should be amazingly nice. I like Lake Grove myself.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:59 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,549 times
the only bad thing that happens is people smoking weed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland