Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 02:04 AM

2 posts, read 27,384 times

Advertisements

I plan to be in the Portland area for just over a week and I'm looking for a decent place to stay for less than 200 a week anywhere between Portland and Longview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 04:46 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
That's not much, it'd be hard to find a traditional hotel, other than a fleabag, for that rate.

A hostels would be cheap, and decent, if you go for that kind of accommodation. There are two (that I know of), either Hawthorne or one in Northwest.

Another option would be the White Eagle Saloon (http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=60&category=Location%20Homepage - broken link). It's operated by McMenamins, who have done a great job of restoring historic buildings and operating them as hotel/restaurant/brew pub type places. The White Eagle only has a few rooms, and it's over the resaurant/bar. And there's music. But I understand it ends pretty early. Also, no in-room bathrooms ... they're down the hall. And it's supposed to be haunted!

You might find some cheaper hotel options out of town on the way to Longview, but I can't speak to those.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
You wrote "around Portland". . . Would "the burbs" do?" Because in Hillsboro there is an Extended Stay America that I'm told is quite nice. I'm sure it would run you more than $200, though.

I would just do a net search on Weekly Rate Accommodations in Portland and surrounding areas.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:00 PM

75 posts, read 289,745 times
I can't see $200/week (6 nights?) getting you any place decent.

Last year we "lived" in a hotel from Dec-March. We were mainly in Vancouver, but by using PriceLine.com, we got some very decent prices. We stayed at the Residence Inn, Hilton, Red Lion, Extended Stay (YUCK), Staybridge, etc. each for under $50/night.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
You wrote "around Portland". . . Would "the burbs" do?" Because in Hillsboro there is an Extended Stay America that I'm told is quite nice. I'm sure it would run you more than $200, though.

I would just do a net search on Weekly Rate Accommodations in Portland and surrounding areas.
You're right, the Extended Stay places seem to bottom out at about $70 a night ....

Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 27,384 times
It sucks because the part of the country I'm moving from is littered with weekly hotels at 150-175 a week that aren't bad. I'm trying to limit my expenses while I explore and find a place to live when I move to the Portland area in a few months.

Wonder if its worth just calling several places and seeing if they have a lower weekly rate they'd give me since its off-season for the area and all I can find online are nightly rates.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:03 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ruiner View Post
Wonder if its worth just calling several places and seeing if they have a lower weekly rate they'd give me since its off-season for the area and all I can find online are nightly rates.
You can always try it. In fact, I, myself, have done that when looking for deals in San Francisco and found a few willing to do it. Some places just don't advertise it.

I don't know if Portland has one but are you open to staying in a hostel?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:49 PM

I already provided addresses for two hostels, both extremely affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: