Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:12 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,356 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis does feel sort of northwestern, but not really when you stay there awhile. The people are very mid-western.

I'd say Madison, Wisconsin like the other guy. I lived there for 5 years during college and it is a lot like Portland, although I'd say a little bit more white-collar and quite a bit smaller (Around a 600,000 metro area compared to what, 2,000,000?). Currently they are even building a light-rail that stretches the entire length of the city. The population is very educated and EXTREMELY liberal, and there is a very present drug culture in many neighborhoods and marijuana is legal so you probably won't be charged for possession. Like Portland, it has a serious homeless problem, though. On any given night downtown you'll find people sleeping on the sidewalks, in bus shelters, etc. It also has a pretty visible Portland-esque "slacker/punk class" who often make condescending remarks to the college kids. They pretty much have their own bars, neighborhoods, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. I'm not sure how they pay their rent.

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 10-25-2008 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 01:45 PM

280 posts, read 1,135,979 times
It doesn't quite have the size of Portland, but for a similar liberal feel try the Northampton/Amherst area of Massachusetts. It's much smaller and has more of a college town feel than a big city feel. But after spending time in both I'd say they are fairly similar when it comes to liberal leanings.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:59 PM

9 posts, read 28,433 times
Ithaca NY has to be up there, it's like a little version of Portland in many ways.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Portland is like a mixture of Pittsburgh and Berkeley. Sure it is liberal, but it definitely has a gritty side to it.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:30 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
I've always heard comparisons of Austin and Portland. I still think Minneapolis would be a good choice.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:59 AM

115 posts, read 174,735 times
haha Portland, Maine is surprisingly similar to Portland, Oregon.

Ashville, North Carolina

Syracuse, New York

New Paltz, New York.

All of these places are much smaller but still have an urban feel.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:50 PM

9 posts, read 28,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Portland is like a mixture of Pittsburgh and Berkeley. Sure it is liberal, but it definitely has a gritty side to it.
I did not find anything gritty about Portland when I lived there, but I grew up in Philly, so it's all relative I guess. Otherwise your analysis makes sense though. Portland did remind me of Pittsburgh in that it's of similar size, has a lot of bridges, and is generally friendly and laid-back.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:43 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Asheville NC--fer sure

Old 11-26-2008, 07:55 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
Liberals in other parts of the country are different than the West Coast, so there is really no comparison. In terms of "look and feel", I think that the two most similar cities to Portland are Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (just replace the sports stadiums with light rail and bike paths ). But in terms of politics, your best bet is to check out the larger university towns. I like the suggestions of Madison, Ann Arbor, and Raleigh/Durham... I'd put Austin in that category as well.
Summer 07 I moved from Portland (lived there 20 years) to Durham, NC. And there is no where in this state like Portland. Asheville has a bit of a funky, liberal, outdoor vibe to it. But it is tiny!! And the second you leave Asheville there is a huge difference. Durham is not like Portland. Durham feels more like a small town than a city. And while it's liberal for the state it's not the same magnitude. Raleigh is even less like Portland. Chapel Hill thinks it's the liberal city of the SE, but as someone else eloquantly put it.... liberal on the west coast is 60s hippies but in towns like CH it's tweedy college professors.

If you've never actually lived in Portland, you might not see these differences. If you try one of these places in Durham stick to the areas near Duke, in Raleigh you will want to be Inside The Beltline (ITB) and Asheville you'll not want to be outside of Asheville.

Also there is no comparison to the mass transportation, walkability and bike friendliness of Portland. YOu will not finda a similar level or scale in this whole state.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:00 PM

22 posts, read 49,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healinghands View Post
What would be the most similar city in the Southeast US or Midwest to Portland? I am looking for that liberal feel just not able to move to West Coast at this time. Thanks.
Madison, WI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: