Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 10,645 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in San Francisco and would like to drive my little family up to Portland to see my parents soon. I have a 2 month old. I have never traveled these roads when it is not summer. How will the conditions be if I travel up to Oregon via the I-5 during November with our little Ford Escape mini-SUV.

Will I meet snow? Ice?

We could fly, but I'm just worried about so many germs at the airport with a 2 month old infant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 04:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
I've been down I-5 in December and saw snow on the side of the road in Northern, CA but never felt in the slightest to be in danger. Elsewhere there is a travel thread and links were posted with travel cams and up to the minute weather advisories. You might want to work the search engine for Oregon travel related threads. My reason for writing was to point out that although SF to PDX would be a lunch run for Driver A it might be a real white knuckle ordeal for Driver B. Only you know which you are and statistically speaking, flying is safer. The germs that hang around airports and bus stations are mostly of the contact variety. For the rest, a light blanket over your childs face when you are maneuvering through terminals should be fine. Still, I am not a doctor, have you checked with yours? You may find you have nothing to worry about and if you are at all apprehensive about driving ten hours you probably shouldn't.

H

Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 PM

121 posts, read 374,824 times
you should be fine, the only trouble you might run into would be going through the siskyous, but in November there shouldn't be any problems. just have your tire chains handy just in case. watch the weather reports before you leave and prepare accordingly.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,133 times
Traveling from Las Vegas NV to Portland OR November 20th and returning November 30th. What is the best way to go with out hitting any snow or ice since my mustang is not a bad weather car. All advice is appreciated

Old 11-02-2008, 10:13 PM

8 posts, read 29,411 times
Googlemaps suggests Vegas to PDX via Salt Lake City and Boise via I-15 and I-84. It's estimated at 1186 miles and 17:22:00.

But if you travel over California Rte 58 to Bakersfield and take I-5 from there, that's 1154 miles and an estimated 17:53:00.

Check the weather in Southern Oregon versus the weather in Southern Utah and northeast Oregon and judge according to that. I know I'd rather just split the drive in two via the I-5 route. Maybe get a motel room near Sacramento so that you can wake up after a full night's sleep and cross the Siskiyous at noon and drive the Southern Oregon canyons at the warmest hours of the day. During normal seasonal weather, you shouldn't hit any ice if you do that.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:39 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Driving that distance with small children can be tough.. on them and you.. if you don't stop every couple hours. If you have the time consider driving up the coast and plan to spend one night on the road.

Flying with a small baby, even if you rent a car in Portland, may be not much more expensive than driving when you consider all the costs of the drive. If you hold the babe in your lap on the aircraft there is no charge.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:35 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,274 times
it's snowing in the Siskiyous right now so be prepared for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: