Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 PM

37 posts, read 136,644 times

Advertisements

I'm here in Vancouver, WA for a job interview i had today. Will be here until Sunday. I'm not a big fan of Vancouver, but really want to experience/see Portland. What should I have planned for the weekend? Was planning on going to the farmer's market tomorrow. Walked around downtown portland today but didn't really know where to go.

I'm a 31 yo single male. First time in Portland and I know no one here. I am hoping that Portland would be a place i will settle and where i can hopefully meet some nice young single women... Anyone with some advice on things to do or see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 07:34 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
It's hard to reccomend much when we don't know your interests ... other than trolling for women. Where you do that might depend on just what you're looking for, though.

I presume you'll want to visit places that people will be hanging out. Some suggestions:

The Hawthorne neighborhood ... out between about 30th & 39th. Lots of coffee shops, pubs, restaurants, etc. And people mingling. More of a "bohemian' nature than downtown.

Of course, you can find brew pubs, coffee shops, and restaurants all around town. A restaurant like the Montage (on SE Morrison, under the bridge) might promote mingling. It's a fairly hot spot, and has family-style seating ... so you'd be seated at a table with other people. It's open until 2 a.m.

Powell's books, at NW 10th & Burnside (open until 11) and the surrounding area in the Pearl.

Saturday Market under the Burnside Bridge, and the Farmer's Market in the South Park Blocks.

Basically, I'd just get out where people are and mingle. And strike up conversations ... people will be friendly, but won't make the first move.

For specific events, like hitting a bar where music you'd be interested in is playing, a comedy club, etc., find an Arts & Entertainment section out of the Friday Oregonian. It'll list who's playing where, and any possible special events you might be interested in.

This site promotes things going on around town. You might find something there.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:35 AM

37 posts, read 136,644 times
Thanks for the tips! I'll have to check some of those places out. I like alternative music, bars every now and then. The outdoors stuff/ bike trails i like but i assume they are great and won't bother checking that out. Mostly though, I want to get a sense of how vibrant the city is, the culture the kind of people the city attracts, how many young people are around, how easy it is to meet people, and diversity of the population.

I'm a young professional (M.D.), laidback, looking for a city i'd fit in. My very brief superficial impression so far is that Portland has a bit of the "slacker" Gen-Y vibe to it. Seattle seems like the young sexy "normal" woman while portland is more like the not-so-sexy-but-sort-of-pretty girl-next-door with an artistic bent. Don't know if that makes any sense.

i know boston, nyc, la, san diego, hartford (ct), providence (ri). I love seattle based on a brief visit. I think i definitely want to live in Pacific NW although am also considering Cali. I want to get away from freezing winters and have a city that is dynamic.. I'm Asian too, btw, so not sure if that matters.

The farmer market might be good to see who's out, though maybe not so good if it rains.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
I'd say you're right in your assessment of Seattle vs. Portland. At least, in this old-timer's opinion. Seattle's always seemed to try a little harder to be "big city," so it makes sense the young ladies would follow suit.

Hope you had fun on your Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland