Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 AM

371 posts, read 1,761,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
I am European and I understand you. What I like to know is are the people from the smallest towns liberal too?
Thank you.
Guten Tag, sprechen Sie Deutsch? Ich wohne aus Ost Washington. Es ist kein schon... And then again maybe you dont speak German. I figured you where since you taranslated the "Ich bin" without the a. Then again many languages do this.

I am trying to learn.

From my experience, no, people from small towns (kleine stadt) tend to be very conservative. Well, in some parts of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 11:03 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,051,528 times
It's always a gross generality to assume people from small towns and rural areas are more conservatives, while the city folk are more liberal. Honestly, I'm guilty of it too...but it's really up to the individual. Plus it depends on your definition of liberal and conservative.

A good example is my old college roommate, people labeled him as conservative because he was from a small town, grew up in a farming community, active socially and religiously. People around were protesting and debating things like racism, religion, most other things...and he didn't care, it was a non issue to him. Everyone was so just equal to him it didn't even occur to him what the hubbub was about, and he didn't care if anyone was different except to ask about it and learn. I was glad to have him as a roommate, even though he stole my beer...

Old 12-03-2008, 10:36 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,023 times
Im not generalizing people from small towns, I live in Tri Cities, Eastern WA. Nothing but small towns here. Yes, from my personal experience, people on this side of the state tend to be more conservative. That doesn't mean that everyone is.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Does this incude Tonya Harding? There are no mobile home parks in Europe.
hilarious, perfect

Old 12-09-2008, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 19,535 times
Default Polyglot Knows Best!!

Quote:
I think people who live in the PNW SHOULD be happier than people living anywhere else in the US...but, guess what, they're not. The most smug and depressed lot I've met. And yet people who live in the bleak, flat interior of our country (I went to a Big 10 school for a grad program) can be down-to-earth and easy to get to know...yet their area is not particularly pretty and their seasons can be harsh. With such a disparity, it's all the more reason to find PNWers distasteful...
After living in PDX for 2 yrs I can assure you RobertPolyglot is right on target-at least about Portland: I made more friends in less time living in nyc than I have here... even casual acquaintances. And that's because here everybody seems to be so 'compartmentalized' in their world-view (feigning progressive values while remaining ignorant about current global crises), their insularity (sticking mainly with those with whom they've known since childhood); and their need to 'fit' into easily demarcated groups ("I'm a recent PSU grad-like my green hair?" "I'm a bible-thumping zealot, did ya hear Hannity today?" "I live just outside town in the hills, can't hang out with you-got to meet friends at Sak's...") etc...
Worst of all, Portlanders are so insecure about these things that they'll freak if you mention any of it to them!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:48 PM

233 posts, read 752,282 times
Quote:
Does this incude Tonya Harding? There are no mobile home parks in Europe.
If your suggesting there is no white trash in Europe, then you are wrong. The PNW has its share of Tanyas, Crystals, Dylans, Shanes and Shastas too but overall compared to the rest of the U.S. they are not the majority of who lives within the city limits of Seattle and Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland