Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:01 PM

4 posts, read 9,446 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Portland for it's bike culture, emphasis on being "green," and Oregon's outdoor offerings. I am originally from Kansas City where I study graphic design and will graduate with a B.F.A. in May of '09. If anyone out there knows of anyone (including themselves : ) who could be of assistance I would be more than appreciative. Portland or Bust!

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Oh great, another biker coming to clog up the streets and shove their agenda in our faces. Please, if you move to Portland, learn how to bike respectfully -- get the hell off the road if there's a car coming. It's for cars. That's why it's called a ROAD, so we can drive on it. And don't bike on dangerous roads where you put yourself and motorists at risk just by being there.

There's nothing I hate worse than the bikers in Portland, what a bunch of clowns.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:59 AM

162 posts, read 513,419 times
Ignore Jonathan. Nearly of his posts are negative.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:08 AM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Oh great, another biker coming to clog up the streets and shove their agenda in our faces. Please, if you move to Portland, learn how to bike respectfully -- get the hell off the road if there's a car coming. It's for cars. That's why it's called a ROAD, so we can drive on it. And don't bike on dangerous roads where you put yourself and motorists at risk just by being there.

There's nothing I hate worse than the bikers in Portland, what a bunch of clowns.
Actually, JonathanLB needs to brush up on his traffic laws. Unless it's a limited access road (like a freeway) bikes DO belong on the road. In fact it's illegal to ride them on the sidewalks. You sound like the guy that told me to get the ____ off the road as I crossed a bridge (on SW Barbur) biking home from work when the sign at the start of the bridge clearly stated that bikes were to be "ON THE ROAD".

Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
It's good to give people an alternative mode of transportation and protect them, nothing like skin versus steel. I do wish bikers would actually obey the traffic laws, yeah a gross generalization but it seems a much higher percentage then cars. Dodging bikes on sidewalks (they do belong on the road, I give people a wide berth too so if they fall over I don't run them over) and running through lights/stop signs is not fun.

One thing I have never seen before is bike rage, that is interesting.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 AM

147 posts, read 578,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

wait a minute, is this you driving?

YouTube - Bike vs.Car—Road Rage 2!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,446 times
I appreciate all of the responses, however this has evolved into "biker-gate '08." I am simply trying to use this post as a way of possibly connecting with people who either know or are themselves a member of the Portland graphic design/arts community; because I am currently searching for a summer ('09) internship/job as I plan to sell my belongings to catch a plane out to Portland after graduation. I have searched google, craigslist, AIGA, and others for leads but the list is short so I was hoping that someone in Portland would be looking for a truly committed, personable, and passionate graphic artist with an "outside" and "outside of Portland" approach to visual communication for possible employment.

Thanks again

Old 11-22-2008, 02:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
My friend's nephew left Portland because he could not get a job as a Graphic Artist. He graduated at the top of his class and interned in some very good firms. But no jobs. Please, before you sell your belongings etc secure yourself a job.

I have two neighbors who are free-lance graphic artists whose clients are in other states. Maybe that is something you can look into.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:12 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I knew a group in Colorado the same way, they got their associates and pretty much nothing....no job, and huge amounts of competition. It's been the same in Portland so far, with the economy the way it is, but I wasn't 100% before.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:52 PM

77 posts, read 301,157 times
Portland sounds like a good fit for you and you're so excited that it's sweet. I lived there for about 9 years now I commute from out of town. I've been in the art scene there and still bring my work there to sell with some success. It's a supportive community, but it is very competitive in the graphic arts. I agree that it's a good idea to line something up, but sometimes you just gotta fly by the seat of your pants and you're young so have some fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: