Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:00 AM

100 posts, read 280,861 times

Advertisements

As a California who has visited family twice in Portland, I must say that I was impressed by the city. In the beginning I was concerned because it is true that the city is nowhere near as diverse numerically as others of similar size. However, I was able to go exploring by myself in both downtown Portland in the SE quadrant, and it didn't cause a stir at all. I did notice that blacks seemed to concentrated disproportionately in NE Portland, but that part of town didn't look bad at all compared to the "black" sections of town I've seen in some other cities. BTW, I'm 22 and African-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:30 PM

252 posts, read 953,108 times
There are sections of Portland that have more African Americans than others, North and NE Portland, Lloyd Center mall area is much more diverse than Washington Square or Clackamas Town Center. There have to be salons that specialize in African American hairstyles, I see ladies with braids on a regular basis. I know there are churches with congregations that are mostly African American and there are BBQ and Soul Food restaurants. This isn't Atlanta or Detroit though, we have nowhere near the diversity found in many other states.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 PM

252 posts, read 953,108 times
I don't know anything about the quality of their work but I found some salons:

Index

Home

Kalista Salon & Day Spa, in Portland Oregon

Platinum Black Salon - Home (http://platinumblacksalon.com/home - broken link)

Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 AM

536 posts, read 2,153,868 times
One thing I do like about Portland, even though there aren't large African American communities, that all kinds of people actually live amongst each other. I haven't experienced any racial tension what so ever here. I'm from the midwest btw. Where people stay in their hood and no one else enters.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 AM

682 posts, read 2,422,698 times
I'm a little disappointed in the cynicism of the posters so far. Portland and the metro area is primarily white. No question. But Portland has a diverse group of immigrants and cultures. There are many white immigrants (i.e. Russians, Ukrainians, etc.), along with non-white groups:
Asian: Vietnamese, Thai, Cambodian, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino
Middle Eastern: Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Iranian,
African: Somali, Kenyan, Nigerian, Libyan,
South & Central American: Guatemalan, Mexican, Chilean, El Salvadorian,

I don't think you're looking very hard if you don't see cultural and ethnic diversity in Portland. Besides that, Portland is a very welcoming city. So to the original question and post, would your non-white friends be comfortable in Portland? Absolutely. Would white friends be welcome? Yes. Can you find culturally diverse activities? YES!!!!!! If you're looking to be offended, you'll find that too--same as anywhere.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:26 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
It's easy to be offended by diversity if you just look at population demographics in Portland, just because you have one more populous demographic has no influence on attitudes...

Portland is one of the most welcoming city for pretty much everyone, I'm sorry people have to dye their skin to be welcoming of diversity.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
I am going to tell of a story about someone I knew from Oregon. She has grandchildren in Oregon who are biracial(black father, white mother). A teacher in Oregon made a comment to the tune of "for black children, they are pretty smart" as to say that race should have something to do with it. To say the least, the teacher was fired. With that said, Oregon, and Portland particularly, has quite a contradictory image. On the one hand, you have a place that comes off as the picture of ultraliberal and progressive, and on the other hand it has a very dark history of racial prejudice and bigotry and there are still some issues now.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:13 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am going to tell of a story about someone I knew from Oregon. She has grandchildren in Oregon who are biracial(black father, white mother). A teacher in Oregon made a comment to the tune of "for black children, they are pretty smart" as to say that race should have something to do with it. To say the least, the teacher was fired. With that said, Oregon, and Portland particularly, has quite a contradictory image. On the one hand, you have a place that comes off as the picture of ultraliberal and progressive, and on the other hand it has a very dark history of racial prejudice and bigotry and there are still some issues now.
Portland is no different that anywhere else. There are ignorant people, like the teacher, everywhere. The fact that she was fired tells me a lot positive about Portland, though.

No place no earth is free from a "dark history of ... prejudice and bigotry."

Old 01-21-2009, 03:36 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Portland is no different that anywhere else. There are ignorant people, like the teacher, everywhere. The fact that she was fired tells me a lot positive about Portland, though.

No place no earth is free from a "dark history of ... prejudice and bigotry."
True. I was discussing it mainly for Portland's case.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM

206 posts, read 259,820 times
I notice the convo naturally turns to bbq and gang violence. ****in Portland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland