Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:34 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,126,866 times

Advertisements

It's nonsense to say that Portland has no culture. Everywhere, and everyone has a culture. Even primitive tribes have a culture. They're just all different. And once again, because wherever you came from had a different culture, doesn't mean the PNW has none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM

544 posts, read 1,470,040 times
I seen more than enough culture when I was there and for sure enough for my needs. Not everyplace has to be NYC or San Fran. I bring a throwback to the picture if anything and am like those early 90s people that were there doing their own individualism.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,132,007 times
I'll tell you all about Portlands culture.

But first......Got any spare change?! haha

Here is what I think of Portlands culture. Very hippie and outdoorsy of course. People place a high value on simply enjoying life and slowing down, instead of rushing around after success. In fact, if you are too much of a typeA, aggressive personality, they won't like you.

Most people are into some form of art, but they usually just do it for fun and aren't competetive about it. If you are a good artists, people will really respect that.

I think Portland is a truely laid back place. Most places in California are very open-minded and liberal, but not laid back like Portland is.

There are a lot of wannabes in Portland. There are a lot of lame hipsters who stare at you with judgemental eyes and think that they are the real "in crowd". A lot of people play the "I'm more hippy and liberal than you." game.

When you say, "Is Portland cultured?" What exactly do you mean by "cultured"? Are you talking about the culture of the wealthy and elite? Portland isn't big on that. No. But it is not a scumbag place and it's not a redneck place.

In some ways it is very cultured, in other ways it is sort of backwards.

Your question is strange and hard to answer. Got any spare change?!

I would also like to add. The hatred of Californians and other outsiders is lame. It is pure xenophobia. And when you break it down LOGICALLY, it doesn't make much sense. Most of the "Californians" that are invading Oregon are originally from somewhere else and just used Cali as a stepping stone. Especially the land grabbers that drove up real estate prices, most of them are natives of states back East.

And a lot of these people came directly from Eastern states too.

You really can't blame California for it. That's an ignorant generalizion. Most of the native Californians I met in Portland were just working class people who moved to Portland so they could afford to pay their bills, and they like it there.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:43 AM

252 posts, read 959,648 times
Portland is not a "classy" city. People don't flaunt their wealth very much; even rich people wear jeans and a parka. Most Portlanders would find someone with Emily Post perfect etiquette a bit tedious or amusing. Portlanders are too down-to-earth to put on many airs.

That said, Portland is a cultured city. Though Portland is not New York, it does punch above its weight when it comes to "culture." Portland is 13th among large cities in the percentage of its residents with college degrees (alas, Seattle was first), and its educated citizens read (or at least buy) a lot of books. Gus Van Sant and a few other notable independent film directors make their homes in Portland, as does Ursula Le Guin. Art galaries are plentiful. There is an excellent chamber music festival each summer. There are many excellent restaurants, and beer, wine, and spirits are crafted in Portland and Oregon with care.

Portland may not be New York or San Francisco, but for those of you who think Portland is not cultured, I urge you to visit Phoenix...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland